Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just got our PR - from temp 457 via ENS!!!

Just got our PR - from temp 457 via ENS!!!

Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

NealMartin will become famous soon enough
Default Just got our PR - from temp 457 via ENS!!!

Just to let all those out there know, who are not able to get enough points to get through by right, that there is another way.

I got offered a job and 457 temp visa last April 04 - my employer applied for sponsorship approval in December 04 and were approved in Jan 04 and I applied for my PR in Feb 04.

We have been here since August last year - in full employment from the day of arrival and have loved every minute of it.

Last March we thought we had more chance of winning the lottery than getting to Australia - and 12 months later - here we are.

Don't give up if you really want it.

Neal
Old Mar 10th 2005, 5:30 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just got our PR - from temp 457 via ENS!!!

Originally Posted by NealMartin
Just to let all those out there know, who are not able to get enough points to get through by right, that there is another way.

I got offered a job and 457 temp visa last April 04 - my employer applied for sponsorship approval in December 04 and were approved in Jan 04 and I applied for my PR in Feb 04.

We have been here since August last year - in full employment from the day of arrival and have loved every minute of it.

Last March we thought we had more chance of winning the lottery than getting to Australia - and 12 months later - here we are.

Don't give up if you really want it.

Neal
I am on a 457, and am now applying for PR (2 weeks ago) but independantly.
I'm a nurse, hopefully it won't take a year as my 457 visa expires in January 06!! How long did it take for you?

Cas
Old Mar 10th 2005, 6:00 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Neal

Neal

Well done, I'm 2 years into my 457 and will be hoping for the same in the future. What line of business are you in?
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:47 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Nice conversion mate

Gives us 457'ers hope.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:18 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

excellent! Well done! Can I ask where you were lacking points for PR originally. We are coming over on a 457 in a few weeks time, and the company have agreed to pursue PR after a period of time. My husband is 43 in a couple of weeks time and I'm worried that his age will prevent ENS working. (I am aware that ENS will potentially be changing a lot in the near future).

Anyway, glad to see that you can transfer over relatively straightforwardly.

Cheers
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
excellent! Well done! Can I ask where you were lacking points for PR originally. We are coming over on a 457 in a few weeks time, and the company have agreed to pursue PR after a period of time. My husband is 43 in a couple of weeks time and I'm worried that his age will prevent ENS working. (I am aware that ENS will potentially be changing a lot in the near future).

Cheers
Age only becomes an issue for ENS once you turn 45 (then it gets very hard).

Transferring from a 457 to an ENS visa is normally ok *if* the requirements are met - if they're not, or the employer can't/won't sponsor, then you've got a big problem.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 10th 2005 at 11:30 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:28 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one!
I arrived on a 457 in October 04 and have just started the application for ENS. Trying to get done before Nov 05 so that I can claim my FHOG on my house - to pay the agent! If you used an agent, how much did it cost you? Mine is about twice as much as the 457! My employer paid for the 457 but I am paying for the PR.

(Didn't quite understand your message Jeremy)

Andrew
Old Mar 11th 2005, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I am on a 457, and am now applying for PR (2 weeks ago) but independantly.
I'm a nurse, hopefully it won't take a year as my 457 visa expires in January 06!! How long did it take for you?

Cas
I'm not sure what route you are now taking to get your PR but mine was the Employer Nomination Scheme or ENS. Under this scheme my employer had to get approved to sponsor me first - and they put in a LOT of work to get that through - that took about 4 - 6 weeks to get approved. Then following their approval I made my application and that took another 4 - 6 weeks. In total about 12 weeks.

Good luck!

Neal
Old Mar 11th 2005, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jayr
Neal

Well done, I'm 2 years into my 457 and will be hoping for the same in the future. What line of business are you in?
I'm a consultant in the building industry, living in Brisbane and working all over the country, advising Clients on project scheduling and timescales.

Bear in mind that your employer will need to demonstrate that they have searched the market for suitable Australian candidates first and will need to show proof of job advertising - no older than 6 months old I think? This is known as Labour Market Testing.

Good luck
Old Mar 11th 2005, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by webgum

Cheers
Hi - we were lacking on age points as I am 37 but more importantly that I do not have a degree - only trade quals, ONC, HNC and professional qualifications - CIOB, MAPM. To the authorities, a 22 year old with a degree is more valued than a 37 year old with 20 years experience and chartered status - but I'm not bitter. Should have been a hairdresser.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andrew63
Nice one!
I arrived on a 457 in October 04 and have just started the application for ENS. Trying to get done before Nov 05 so that I can claim my FHOG on my house - to pay the agent! If you used an agent, how much did it cost you? Mine is about twice as much as the 457! My employer paid for the 457 but I am paying for the PR.

(Didn't quite understand your message Jeremy)

Andrew
I didn't use an agent for either the 457 or the PR and neither did my employer - the forms are all very easy to use and the process is very well spelled out on the dimia website www.immi.gov.au. Also, the staff at the local office in Brisbane on Adelaide St are very helpful if you want to go in and have a chat.

I have used an agent in the past when back in London and he advised me to go on the skill matching route which was went nowhere - cost me 1500 pounds for nothing - although he did give me a lot of advice which eventually helped me to get here - basically find an employer to sponsor you on a 457.

Good Luck
Old Mar 11th 2005, 11:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - we were lacking on age points as I am 37 but more importantly that I do not have a degree - only trade quals, ONC, HNC and professional qualifications - CIOB, MAPM. To the authorities, a 22 year old with a degree is more valued than a 37 year old with 20 years experience and chartered status - but I'm not bitter. Should have been a hairdresser.
You would possibly have been able to get a Vetassess assessment in a 40pt occupation with a bit of work, but this would normally only have been of use for skilled designated area sponsored.

As for not using an agent for ENS, you obviously did a good job but agents see botched DIY ENS applications all the time. Sometimes a visa can be salvaged, sometimes not.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 11th 2005 at 11:23 am.