Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just got back from validating visa

Just got back from validating visa

Old Sep 6th 2004, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

koofoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just got back from validating visa

We just got back from validating our visa in Sydney. Somehow Sydney felt different this time. It was suffering from the worst drought in 50 years, so no filling up the pool or watering the garden. There is was a lot of graffiti to be seen. Then our friends, who'd emigrated from the UK about 3 or 4 years ago, got made redundant from his IT job. Lucky for him his investments in the UK were providing more than enough to live on. On three occasions in different Cole's Stores some young boys would make derrogratory comments about Islam just because I had a Turban. I'm a Sikh, so that just went to show that ignorance is a world wide problem. Whilst there, I saw on channel 7 news about a young white Ozzie, John Hicks, who's held in Guantanamo prison. Now that don't make all young white Australians terrorists does it? Yet a person with a turban somehow implies that he must be a terrorist.

As for the yob culture, it is present in most big modern westernized cities. Would we make the final move? Who knows, probably visit a few more times and try to locate places with larger ethnic minorities to see how the feel living there before deciding for sure. Let's hope the IT market swings back up too. Saw too many well educated people doing the job of a cashier or driving a taxi or working in a fast food restaurant.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 1:49 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Just got back from validating visa

Originally Posted by koofoo
We just got back from validating our visa in Sydney. Somehow Sydney felt different this time. It was suffering from the worst drought in 50 years, so no filling up the pool or watering the garden. There is was a lot of graffiti to be seen. Then our friends, who'd emigrated from the UK about 3 or 4 years ago, got made redundant from his IT job. Lucky for him his investments in the UK were providing more than enough to live on. On three occasions in different Cole's Stores some young boys would make derrogratory comments about Islam just because I had a Turban. I'm a Sikh, so that just went to show that ignorance is a world wide problem. Whilst there, I saw on channel 7 news about a young white Ozzie, John Hicks, who's held in Guantanamo prison. Now that don't make all young white Australians terrorists does it? Yet a person with a turban somehow implies that he must be a terrorist.

As for the yob culture, it is present in most big modern westernized cities. Would we make the final move? Who knows, probably visit a few more times and try to locate places with larger ethnic minorities to see how the feel living there before deciding for sure. Let's hope the IT market swings back up too. Saw too many well educated people doing the job of a cashier or driving a taxi or working in a fast food restaurant.

Good luck with it all Koofoo !
ignore the mindless young they know not what they think ...
Old Sep 6th 2004, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Big Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura about

Koofoo,

Sorry your trip was not all you expected, but I think you are right about seeing things differently when you are thinking of moving somewhere.

We looked at Melbourne last year and loved it more than Sydney. We did the fact finding holiday and noticed graffiti, read local papers, visited areas a non tourist would not normally go. They have the same troubles as everywhere else, but I still found the people nicer, the city was cleaner, beaches better, housing estates also cleaner and better looked after.The culture in Melbourne was fantastic - I recommend a visit.

People anywhere you go are shallow about different colour/religion/age etc, but there are still some good people out there.

I hope you do go back and enjoy a better experience.

We are going to Perth in November for a real holiday to validate our visas - no fact finding.

Best of luck and don't give in.

Hev
Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:13 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Nice to see Melbourne getting some good reports.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

ignore them...you always get some who make the place look bad. It happens in lots of places.

Have a look at Perth - lots of ethnic minorities there including lots of UK expats.

Good Luck.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Koofoo, sorry you had this experience in Sydney. We visited Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne when we were deciding on where to live in Oz. When we were in Melbourne, people said to us: "oh you don't want to live in Sydney - too many Asians" and when we were choosing where to rent in Sydney: "oh you don't want to live in the West - it's too rough and you don't want to live in St. Ives - too many South Africans". So people say stupid things every where you go, unfortunately.

Sydney is a big city with some of the problems that go with that - however, I think it is a beautiful city with areas of outstanding beauty - with not nearly as much graffiti as in a lot of the cities in Europe. Melbourne and Canberra are nice too.

Good luck!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

I would be interested to know what daily racism you face in the UK. Also where you live in the UK. I live in Sydney and the area i have recently moved to Randwick ("The Spot" for people who know the area) has a huge Asian population. I live in a unit in a block of four. My next door neighbour is Indian and his sister lives in the unit below him. I have never seen or heard any racism in the area i live. Although i am not stupid enough to think it doesnt happen, i still belive Austalia to be one of the biggest multi-cultural countries in the world. It is one of the main things i like about Australia.

If you feel that way about Australia then i would re-consider moving here. I like it here but the old saying "same sh*t different bucket" is very true. You already have a negative outlook on the country after your last visit. so would you give it a fair go if you came to live here
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I am interested to know what suburb you were in? Sadly your experience could happen anywhere in Australia.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 5:27 am
Just Joined

DawnandAlan is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Just got back from validating visa

Hi,
I am surfing around trying to find anyone who has recently moved to Melbourne. I have moved with my husband and daughter and my trying to build up a social network. If you are interested in sharing experiences please get in touch

Dawn

Sorry your trip was not all you expected, but I think you are right about seeing things differently when you are thinking of moving somewhere.

We looked at Melbourne last year and loved it more than Sydney. We did the fact finding holiday and noticed graffiti, read local papers, visited areas a non tourist would not normally go. They have the same troubles as everywhere else, but I still found the people nicer, the city was cleaner, beaches better, housing estates also cleaner and better looked after.The culture in Melbourne was fantastic - I recommend a visit.

People anywhere you go are shallow about different colour/religion/age etc, but there are still some good people out there.

I hope you do go back and enjoy a better experience.

We are going to Perth in November for a real holiday to validate our visas - no fact finding.

Best of luck and don't give in.

Hev[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 7th 2004, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by John Howard
I would be interested to know what daily racism you face in the UK. Also where you live in the UK. I live in Sydney and the area i have recently moved to Randwick ("The Spot" for people who know the area) has a huge Asian population. I live in a unit in a block of four. My next door neighbour is Indian and his sister lives in the unit below him. I have never seen or heard any racism in the area i live. Although i am not stupid enough to think it doesnt happen, i still belive Austalia to be one of the biggest multi-cultural countries in the world. It is one of the main things i like about Australia.

If you feel that way about Australia then i would re-consider moving here. I like it here but the old saying "same sh*t different bucket" is very true. You already have a negative outlook on the country after your last visit. so would you give it a fair go if you came to live here
Koofoo
I am sorry to hear about your visit, but please try not to judge the masses on the actions of a few, I am sure that things will be ok when you arrive - or at least I hope that they will.

John Howard - excellent post mate.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

koofoo is an unknown quantity at this point

We were mainly shown around by our friends who live in Turramurra. I also visited a place called Blacktown. This has a larger ethnic population. I stress that I do not regard the comments made by those minority as a general attitude of Australians. In fact most Australians we spoke to were very friendly. We've experienced similar comments when visiting British seasides. We'll be going back for further visits before deciding for sure.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

jsm66 is an unknown quantity at this point

We were mainly shown around by our friends who live in Turramurra. I also visited a place called Blacktown. This has a larger ethnic population. I stress that I do not regard the comments made by those minority as a general attitude of Australians. In fact most Australians we spoke to were very friendly. We've experienced similar comments when visiting British seasides. We'll be going back for further visits before deciding for sure.
Hi Koofoo,
I am a clean cut Sikh and will be moving to Melbourne in 2006. I saw Sydney in Jan but found Melbourne to have more variety.
Anyhow I am disturbed at the racism that you have suffered in Sydney. It is blatant ignorance but also we Sikhs should be more vocal in who we are. Sikhs have been in Oz for more than a century and if you don't educate people how will they know?
In San Francisco my family used to organise soup kitchens in the city to help the down-n-outs and this sparked some media interest in who these turbaned people were ? After all we have been fighting Muslims in India for a very long time.
Maybe somehting we should do in Australia?
Just a thought to pro-actively solve a problem.

SSA
Jagdeep Singh Mahal
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Koofoo, do look at melbourne, I dont know about the suburbs but in the city at least I doubt if you will attract a second glance, there are so many races there many with ethnic dress, that should be the case in sydney too, but australians do have a habit of bunching people into races and often refering to them by what seems racist names.

Example, while trying to get to the airport in melbourne mid afternoon we were immediately held up by a huge police raid on a game arcade know spot for drug deals. It was amusing as an outsider to hear all sorts of ethnic groups on the bus blaming the other ethnic groups, "its the lebbos mate" no "its the asians mate", no "the wogs mate" and so it want on with each ethnic person blaming another type It was comical because nobody seemed to be taking any offence just the brash aussie way of talking, I must add tho typically all the australians denied it could be one of us

Take another look and try to factor in the aussies often rough and brash way of talking, and the fact what is seen as racially incorrect in other countries may just be the way people carry on here without realising its not the done thing elsewhere.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:30 am
wombat42

Sydney is'nt the best place in Australia to live , have a look at other cities
such as Melbourne, Brisbane.

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
I am interested to know what suburb you were in? Sadly your experience could happen anywhere in Australia.
Koofoo its good to see that people go on validation trips with 'open eyes'. Sadly the grafitti, litter, yobs etc are worldwide. It was the first thing I noticed when landing at Brisbane. In fact I remember turning to hubby nearly in tears saying "what have we done?" The taxi driver was so rude, it was extremely built up, dirty, litter and grafitti everywhere and generally 'untidy'. We were not impressed! yet other expats who'd lived here for a while didn't notice it! A lot of your perception comes from where you have lived in the UK. For me it was a culture shock as I'd lived in a beautiful village in 'Constable Country'. It was a conservation area so extremely well looked after. Surburbian Brissy was not something we were prepared for!