Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

just got back from Brisbane WOW !

just got back from Brisbane WOW !

Old Aug 4th 2003, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Lynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really niceLynn W is just really nice
Default just got back from Brisbane WOW !

Hi all, (new members as well).

Arrived back from Brisbane yesterday (sunday) after spending a month there. All i can say is WOW what a wonderful place. We spent the first week doing the tourist bit and the rest living as a family.

We have looked at houses including building our own and oened a bank account. We have also looked at the job market.

We joined the local RSL and met really great people. We met lots of expats who said it was the best move that they made.

I have researched lots of bits so if i can be of any help or if any one has any questions please ask ( if i can help i will)

Whats been going on in here whilst i have been away.

Lynn W

Brisbane bound ( With out a doubt)

Last edited by Lynn W; Aug 4th 2003 at 1:54 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lynn

Glad to hear you had a good time, bet you can`t wait to go now !!

footie chick
Old Aug 4th 2003, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

anthonykirby is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my visa eventually!

Anth

Glad you enjoyed it !!

Will find out for myself in 14 days!
Old Aug 4th 2003, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Really pleased that you liked it out there.
When will you be making the final move?

Whisky
Old Aug 4th 2003, 7:24 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: just got back from Brisbane WOW !

Originally posted by Lynn W
Hi all, (new members as well).

Arrived back from Brisbane yesterday (sunday) after spending a month there. All i can say is WOW what a wonderful place. We spent the first week doing the tourist bit and the rest living as a family.

We have looked at houses including building our own and oened a bank account. We have also looked at the job market.

We joined the local RSL and met really great people. We met lots of expats who said it was the best move that they made.

I have researched lots of bits so if i can be of any help or if any one has any questions please ask ( if i can help i will)

Whats been going on in here whilst i have been away.

Lynn W

Brisbane bound ( With out a doubt)
Its a great place for sure. I take it that was your first time. By the way what does RSL stand for?
Old Aug 4th 2003, 7:32 pm
Badge

Hey Lynn : so glad you took the time to join a RSL !!! (returned servicemen's league ) cross between an English workingman's club and a pub with TV for the footie, pub food, pokies, beer and dancin' all laid on - and subsidised - it's the way to go. There are probably all sorts of snobby expats that have never joined one but I think they are great! Great way to meet people.

badgers

Old Aug 4th 2003, 7:54 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by badgersmount
Hey Lynn : so glad you took the time to join a RSL !!! (returned servicemen's league ) cross between an English workingman's club and a pub with TV for the footie, pub food, pokies, beer and dancin' all laid on - and subsidised - it's the way to go. There are probably all sorts of snobby expats that have never joined one but I think they are great! Great way to meet people.

badgers
So can anyone join, or do you have to be a returned serviceman?
Old Aug 4th 2003, 7:59 pm
Badge

lol - the worst case scenario is that you may have to be "introduced" - and someone may well sign on the line for ya..

or you sign on as a guest each time

badgers

Old Aug 4th 2003, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Really glad you enjoyed it Lynn. I thought you would, but you did the right thing and went for a reccie just to make sure.

Are you still looking at buying a large acreage and having chickens etc?

Glad things are working out for you. What did Hubby think of it - he was a bit more reserved than you- is he enthusiastic now?

I can't remember if you have already applied for your visas. How is the process going?

Did you only look at Brisbane
or did you go North/South a bit?
Old Aug 4th 2003, 9:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back Lynn; like Tina, I thought you'd like it, but now you have seen it for yourself and can make up your own mind without us trying to convince you! Sounds like you did a lot of groundwork while you were there? Any idea whether you would be looking to settle in Brissie itself, or outside?
Must try and meet up again before I leave at the end of October.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

RSL clubs can be joined by anyone you just become a member.

The meals and booze is slightly subsidised (by the clubs) because they are huge revenue raisers for the Gov because of the billions of dollars poured into poker (one arm bandit) machines.

Their popularity is such that multi storey carparks are built on some. Trouble is tho Aussies have the worst gamboling issues in the world and the impact on families is horrendous. Gov looking at these issues.

Not a fan of them myself, lots of poor people in for a cheap meal then sitting there pouring the mortage down the machines. Pretty sad really.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 10:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

But if they serve as a good place to meet people, whats wrong with that. As badgers said, bit like an English Working Men's Club - nowt posh about them, but they are OK as a good cheap meeting place. OK, you wouldn''t go there for a "big night out", but a basic snack and a beer, no problem.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Sounds right up chippy's street!
Old Aug 4th 2003, 10:18 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I went to a few......the only ones i liked were those in small towns, where i found them to be friendly and without the "carnival" type feeling i got in the bigger ones.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 10:31 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
RSL clubs can be joined by anyone you just become a member.

The meals and booze is slightly subsidised (by the clubs) because they are huge revenue raisers for the Gov because of the billions of dollars poured into poker (one arm bandit) machines.

Their popularity is such that multi storey carparks are built on some. Trouble is tho Aussies have the worst gamboling issues in the world and the impact on families is horrendous. Gov looking at these issues.

Not a fan of them myself, lots of poor people in for a cheap meal then sitting there pouring the mortage down the machines. Pretty sad really.

We used quite a few while we were there, most had sold out to the big business "pokie machine" suppliers and allowed anyone entry. A small minority [usually in smaller towns] remained true RSL clubs similar to the British Legion style of the UK, cheap beer and good food reasonably priced. Must admit I'm no fan of the Pokies and most places had row upon row. Didn't quite get the vast banks of TV "tote"screens either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.