Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

just found a scorpion in the house

just found a scorpion in the house

Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Rachel69 will become famous soon enoughRachel69 will become famous soon enough
Default just found a scorpion in the house

My son found a scorpion running around in our hallway this morning, ive captured it under a glass, its about an inch long and brown. We live in the Hills District Sydney, does anyone know if these are dangerous please?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: just found a scorpion in the house

Originally Posted by Rachel69
My son found a scorpion running around in our hallway this morning, ive captured it under a glass, its about an inch long and brown. We live in the Hills District Sydney, does anyone know if these are dangerous please?
try and take a picture and stick it on here so we can see, but id definatleyly keep it under the glass untill it is still and can no longer breath let alone move, ill be back to check out what it is, Good luck
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Never seen one myself, but I found this info:

Australian scorpions can give a painful sting but are not considered dangerous.
First aid for a sting is to apply a cold pack and to seek medical aid if pain persists.
It is also a good idea to try to catch the scorpion and have it identified.
The scorpion usually seen in houses is the small Marbled Scorpion.
http://www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets/scorpions.htm
and
Pain?
Fortunately, Australian scorpions aren't as poisonous as those in other countries. A sting might hurt for a few hours. The victim might need some treatment for pain but there should be no long lasting effects.
http://www.elton.iinet.net.au/page61.html
There are over 1500 species of scorpion (world-wide) but only 25 can kill people.

Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

thank you, thats reassuring.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

I think it may be the small marbled scorpion, looking at the images on the website, doesnt appear to be dangerous!! Thank god as i think it came out of my son's school bag!!!!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:02 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a cat or dog? I've found my cats are a good judge of what's dangerous and what's not! They didn't go near either of the scorpions we had in the house in Asia.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

yes i do, the cats not around at the moment and the dog just eats anything that moves so may not be a good idea as he is only a puppy and already had to be rushed to vets 2 weeks ago as he got stung by a bee or ant and had an allergic reaction to it!

Last edited by Rachel69; Nov 27th 2008 at 2:42 am.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Hi,

When we came for a visit in April I saw a little scorpion in the bathroom, didn't have my contact lenses in and thought it was an earwig so kicked it out of the way with my bare foot. Captured it later under a glass and it's tail came up, thought OMG! Read in Guide to the Wildlife of the Perth Region that it was a Darling Marbled Scorpion and that it's "small size should not belie the strong sting". That'll teach me to wear my contacts or be careful what I'm kicking.

M
Old Nov 27th 2008, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

As I previously wrote in a different thread, in 2001 I moved house to Point Lonsdale and I did not have the bed together on the first night so I made the mattress up on the floor.

Just as the early light was lightening the room I felt something move against my leg under the doona. Rolled the doona back and there was a shiny black scorpion making himself warm against my leg. Flicked him off and slapped him with my thong (and that'd be thong.... as in footware).
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Wishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really nice

Scorpions aswell??
Is there anything in Australia that won't eat, bite, sting or just basically kill you apart from Koalas, who I understand could be packing guns anyway in all that fur
Just amazed that you all manage to venture out of the house, although I suppose that isn't safe either!
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Dave_Kent is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha - you should take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I

Old Nov 29th 2008, 4:21 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rachel69
the dog just eats anything that moves so may not be a good idea as he is only a puppy
Watch out for bars of soap. Apparently dogs like to eat them. Our daughters dog at three - got in the bathroom cupboard and she didn't know until the dog vomited big white lumps with blood in the evening.

Since she had eaten them in the morning the vet couldn't make her sick as they are toxic and would have burnt her on the way back up. She had to have an operation where they cut her intestines open and had to flush it all out for an hour. It was touch and go whether she would survive but she did and had stitches all down her stomache.

She is right as rain again now and as nutty as ever, even tried to get at the soap in a locked cupboard the other day again - you would have thought that she had learnt her lesson.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

The creepy crawlies have to be my most hated part of australia. Found one cockroach in the garage and one in front of the house, I hate the dam things !
Old Nov 29th 2008, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dave_Kent
Ha - you should take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I

thats very funny!!!
Old Nov 29th 2008, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Watch out for bars of soap. Apparently dogs like to eat them. Our daughters dog at three - got in the bathroom cupboard and she didn't know until the dog vomited big white lumps with blood in the evening.

Since she had eaten them in the morning the vet couldn't make her sick as they are toxic and would have burnt her on the way back up. She had to have an operation where they cut her intestines open and had to flush it all out for an hour. It was touch and go whether she would survive but she did and had stitches all down her stomache.

She is right as rain again now and as nutty as ever, even tried to get at the soap in a locked cupboard the other day again - you would have thought that she had learnt her lesson.
Thats terrible, dogs are not always very clever, they eat anything. Cats are much more sensible and seem to know if something is bad for them and steer clear of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.