Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just A Few Questions About Queensland......

Just A Few Questions About Queensland......

Old May 29th 2006, 12:04 pm
We Have Arrived!

Jodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud of
Default Just A Few Questions About Queensland......

Hi Everyone

Would just like some answers about a few things doing my head in....

1. Is it true you need to take a driving test after 3 months of arriving.

2. Do you just sit a written test and no practical?

3. I've heard cars don't require an MOT in QLD. Is this true?

4. Hand on heart, did you feel worse about leaving family & friends behind, or more worse about finding work, settling in etc.

5. Has finding work been generally ok to find, or has it been a nightmare/harder than you thought?

6. Are house prices generally rising,falling or dropping

7. Finally, can anybody recommend Springfield or Springfield lakes suburbs

Thank you.

Mark.
Old May 29th 2006, 12:11 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just A Few Questions About Queensland......

Originally Posted by Jodie n' Mark
Hi Everyone

4. Hand on heart, did you feel worse about leaving family & friends behind, or more worse about finding work, settling in etc.

5. Has finding work been generally ok to find, or has it been a nightmare/harder than you thought?

Thank you.

Mark.

Hi Mark
Can't answer the first 6 of your questions as we have not got there yet
but we are heading to Springfield Lakes as are my parents-in -law. We visited in November 2004 and were very impressed. My brother in law has lived there for 4 years and him and the family absolutely love it. Because it is a new developing suburb great emphasis is on family life and there is plenty going off centred round the family. If you want to research more you can find a lot of info on www.delfinrealty.com.au and this will give you links to Springfield Lakes and the surrounding area.

Hope this helps.

Loz x
Old May 29th 2006, 12:22 pm
We Have Arrived!

Jodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by loz
Hi Mark
Can't answer the first 6 of your questions as we have not got there yet
but we are heading to Springfield Lakes as are my parents-in -law. We visited in November 2004 and were very impressed. My brother in law has lived there for 4 years and him and the family absolutely love it. Because it is a new developing suburb great emphasis is on family life and there is plenty going off centred round the family. If you want to research more you can find a lot of info on www.delfinrealty.com.au and this will give you links to Springfield Lakes and the surrounding area.

Hope this helps.

Loz x
Thanks for the reply Loz. I've just used Google so far for Springfield. The link www.delfinrealty.com.au you gave me will certainly help.

Many Thanks
Mark x
Old May 29th 2006, 12:24 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Loz. I've just used Google so far for Springfield. The link www.delfinrealty.com.au you gave me will certainly help.

Many Thanks
Mark x
No probs.........good luck with your search

Loz x
Old May 29th 2006, 12:40 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Mark.

1. Yes, if you are on a PR visa. That entitles you to drive on an international licence for 3 months. If on a temp visa it's indefinitely.
2. Theory only.
3. Can't remember about this but there is a compulsory safety certificate you have to get if you sell.

The other questions are not relevant to my case, sorry.
Old May 29th 2006, 12:42 pm
BuggerMan

The Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Everyone

Thank you.

Mark.
1. Nope

2. Written test

3. Only need one when you sell the car

Someone else will have to answer the other questions

Erik the Viking
Old May 29th 2006, 12:45 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Norwegian
1. Nope

2. Written test

3. Only need one when you sell the car

Someone else will have to answer the other questions

Erik the Viking
Erik.
Answer to question 1 is yes.
Old May 29th 2006, 12:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Thank you.

Mark.
1. Yes if you have PR, no if you are on a Temp visa
2. Just a theory. You can download the book from here:
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...drive_yourkeys
3. When you buy a used car you need to get a safety certificate, can't remember how much it costs now. You don't need to renew it.

4. Hand on heart we have been here six months and Neither I nor my hubby have had a moment's homesickness, I have missed best mate on various occasion and hate it when my sister phones for advice. My two girls have missed friends obviously - eldest most (she's 13). Job wise hubby got a job really easily. It's not what he wants to do for the rest of his working life but for the moment its more than fine. We have settled in far easier and quicker than I anticipated. But obviously everyone is different.

5. Ooops already answered that one. Except tha I have not found anything yet but am looking in an area that hundreds of other women are looking in to fit around school hours and holidays.

6. I am not aware of them changing a great deal in the past six months and I spoke with a financial adviser last week who reckoned things hadn't moved in that time either.

7. No idea but Jodie N Mark have already answered that one
Old May 29th 2006, 12:55 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by moneypen20
7. No idea but Jodie N Mark have already answered that one
No they haven't ....it was Loz.
Old May 29th 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Answers for those I know.....

1. Is it true you need to take a driving test after 3 months of arriving....... Yes uk licence not valid after 3 months if you are on PR visa

2. Do you just sit a written test and no practical? ......Written test 30 questions - all multiple choice

3. I've heard cars don't require an MOT in QLD. Is this true? .....Yep, you have to register it each year...I think it's like car tax??? Only been here 3 months so can't really confirm this.

4. Hand on heart, did you feel worse about leaving family & friends behind, or more worse about finding work, settling in etc........no one can tell you this, everyone is different...it all depends how confident you are in your abilities to make it work over here and your relationships with those you take and leave behind. You will not be handed a life on a plate, you will acheive what you put in.

5. Has finding work been generally ok to find, or has it been a nightmare/harder than you thought?.......I was ok (Accountant), but husband found it pretty hard (Retail), very different view of a Retail careers over here.

6. Are house prices generally rising,falling or dropping....they have seemed pretty static in the 3 months we have been here.

7. Finally, can anybody recommend Springfield or Springfield lakes suburbs........sorry, not been up that far - I think it's nearer to Brisbane than the GC where we are.

Hope this helps you.

Judith
Old May 29th 2006, 12:59 pm
BuggerMan

The Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bix
Erik.
Answer to question 1 is yes.
Well, depends on how you look at it. It is not a driving test. You do not have to drive a car. It is a theory test.
Hence, not a driving test
Old May 29th 2006, 1:01 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by The Norwegian
Well, depends on how you look at it. It is not a driving test. You do not have to drive a car. It is a theory test.
Hence, not a driving test
Quite.
It was a trick question
Old May 29th 2006, 1:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
No they haven't ....it was Loz.
Ooops was it, there was only about one reply when I started Didn't look too closely
Old May 29th 2006, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mark

I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge but as everyone experiences things in different ways, you may receive different answers. So you then take a balanced view...but here goes......

No. You officially need to take a written driving test within 3 months of arriving in Aus. Many take the test after 3 months which means you are not covered if you have an accident [perm res only]

2. Do you just sit a written test and no practical?.
Yes. Each state does their own thing but in Qld if you hold a UK driving licence then you only need take a written driving test and no practical.

3. I've heard cars don't require an MOT in QLD. Is this true??.
Correct however cars must be deemed roadworthy and if the police pull you up for defective lights for example, then they can [and will] fine you.

How can you compare? They are both unique emotions that for their own reasons are difficult to manage. That's the thing about emigrating, it effects you in so many different ways and you have to be prepared to deal with these things in their own unique way. So to answer your question, we found both these issues difficult to deal with and we expected this. How can you honestly leave friends and family after X amount of years and not be upset but then we also told ourselves it would be stupid to think it would be easy, it was more about understanding these emotions, finding realistic ways to manage them and realising it was normal and therefore thinking it through logically i.e no point getting upset about things we can do nothing about.
So we found ways of communicating that have made emigrating more palitable.

As for the job issue, again it's difficult for other reasons. It's probably made difficult as the work culture in both countries is different and if you've worked in one country a long time you natrually become indocturnated. Also, you are generally having to start you career again and if you've already done the hard yards, this can be difficult. Once the dust has settled and you start your new life, getting decent work is probably high on the list of priorities. It generally takes time to find a good job with decent wages so again, applying for jobs, taking time out for interviews, fitting in with your new place of work etc is time consuming and draining and for different reasons it is something else you have to contend with as a new migrant.

So.....in answer to your questions, they are different issues so one isn't any more or less difficult than the other. Both these issues are within the "package" of emigrating and you just get on with them and alongside many other issues you manage them the best way you can by being realistic, managing change, understanding the differences and embracing the change. It takes time to "acclimatise" and it doesn't happen over night.

Here are my personal thoughts within this thread. Everyone is different so expect different experiences and comments from different people.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376048

6. Are house prices generally rising,falling or dropping?
I suppose it depends on which state and where within the state you are moving to, what job and growth prospects are available and the available infrastructure etc. Where we live for example, house prices have risen. Generally speaking it seems Australia wide that despite anticipated downturn due to slight interest rate rises, house prices have in fact gone up. And some areas more than others. The reality is that there are growth areas in various parts of Aus and not enough houses to suit demand so demand outstrips supply. Do a search on here by using the search button on this screen above and I'm sure someone will have covered the area yo are interested in. Alternativly, find an expat in the area you wish to live and PM them. Most don't mind helping as they will have been helped themselves at some point.

7. Finally, can anybody recommend Springfield or Springfield lakes suburbs?
Sorry m8....this is one I know nowt about

Hope this has answered your questions.

Good luck Mark

Last edited by phoenixinoz; May 29th 2006 at 1:10 pm.
Old May 29th 2006, 1:08 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

No you need to take it within three months of arriving to legally drive if you have PR

2. Do you just sit a written test and no practical?.
Yep there are only 6 different sets of questions if you fail you'll have to go back the next day & so on...

3. I've heard cars don't require an MOT in QLD. Is this true?.
Not an annual one like the U.K but you have to either sell with a roadworthy or without. The roadworthy is simlar to an MOT you only need one if your selling the vehicle

Err work was easy to find, friends are harder to replace but it's only a matter of time. We have a lot of good mates both Aussies and expats.

5. Has finding work been generally ok to find, or has it been a nightmare/harder than you thought?.
See above. Work easy, licencing a nightmare

6. Are house prices generally rising,falling or dropping.
Prices are still rising in some areas and stalling in others it's a huge state and to general a question.

Not me never heard of it.

Thank you.

Mark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.