Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it just the English?

Is it just the English?

Old Apr 12th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it just the British?

Hi driving home from shopping today when we got stuck in slow moving traffic. In front was a funeral possession. It was quite moving even though the traffic behind was collecting no one over took. Even at islands letting the funeral possession family out to follow.

Like giving a nod or hand rise when letting someone pass in there car.

Is this just a British thing?

Have the Australians got there thing?

Stacey xx
(will this go in the stupid question thread)

Last edited by stacey and jordan; Apr 12th 2006 at 2:45 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just the English?

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Hi driving home from shopping today when we got stuck in slow moving traffic. In front was a funeral possession. It was quite moving even though the traffic behind was collecting no one over took. Even at islands letting the funeral possession family out to follow.

Is this just an English thing?

Stacey xx

Well I have no idea about in Australia, but here in Bradford it is a rare sight. When we had my Mum's funeral we had a funeral car for me, hubby and my kids and we where overtaken by an idiot who pulled up in between our car and the hearse
Old Apr 12th 2006, 2:44 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Aussies dont have cars. Usually the just dismount their horses and tip their hats. On really big days they take the corks of the hats as well.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is it just the British?

Stacey xx
We noticed this in Brisbane - they don't seem to bother! I always do here I'm not sure if we just happened upon particularly rude people! while we were there or if that's just the way it is!

Rachelle
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Stuck is on a distinguished road

Not as polite in Australia (generally speaking), but it is not really something that has had as long to develop - less traffic. People would be murdering each other left, right and centre in the UK if at somepoint people didnt just resign themselves to it. You get used it though and before you know it you're driving like an Australian too. It's kind of a relief not to have to be so polite all the time!

Sorry, have to add though that in Australian you would not see cars interrupt or overtake a funeral procession, we have some morals. It's just that people don't 'let you out' as much as they do in the UK.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
Aussies dont have cars. Usually the just dismount their horses and tip their hats. On really big days they take the corks of the hats as well.
Yes. And they also mark the occasion by putting fresh sawdust down on the floors.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuck
Not as polite in Australia (generally speaking), but it is not really something that has had as long to develop - less traffic. People would be murdering each other left, right and centre in the UK if at somepoint people didnt just resign themselves to it. You get used it though and before you know it you're driving like an Australian too. It's kind of a relief not to have to be so polite all the time!

Sorry, have to add though that in Australian you would not see cars interrupt or overtake a funeral procession, we have some morals. It's just that people don't 'let you out' as much as they do in the UK.
Yup. Most of the traffic in Australia is too 'light' , especially in suburbia -and too 'steady' for people to have developed 'after you' skills like the UK. But its not some damning socio indicator of manners or society, I also like driving at the easy speeds of 80-100k and don't particularly want to stop either. This makes my wifes Ford Falcon as economical to drive as a 2.0l car in the UK.

Drive a ute, though, and other ute drivers or truckies let you in. It works the other way, I also flash trucks and utes to let them in, I figure they are on their way to work - if I am not - so I let them in. Someone driving a sedan, well you don't know(!) They often wave - they probably think you are a truckie!
Old Apr 12th 2006, 10:38 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to recall a traffic warden slapping a parking ticket on a hearse ... a - here we go ... http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1640830.html?menu= . In the interests of balance, however, I'll also post this - not sure which is worse!
Old Apr 13th 2006, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachelle
We noticed this in Brisbane - they don't seem to bother! I always do here I'm not sure if we just happened upon particularly rude people! while we were there or if that's just the way it is!

Rachelle

driving from port pirie to jamestown off the main roas other drivers always raised their hand ( and not just two fingers ) just to say hi...

mind not much traffic on those roads..so probably happy to see another human being...lol

regards

lollyno1
Old Apr 13th 2006, 10:47 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

In my part of Victoria most people wave when you give way to them at a slow point (and vice versa). I've found it no different to the UK in this respect.

I think the traffic moves too fast to allow people to pull out of side roads (and for this culture to develop - as said ^^^).

Traffic on dual carriageways doesn't pull over to the right lane when someone is trying to enter from the left. This is because the person entering may be going into the right hand lane themselves (so they can turn right at the next junction). As you don't know what the other person is going to do, it is best to keep going straight. That way they wont think you're trying to screw them up by using both lanes.

Flashing your lights generally means nothing here. If you do, then you should indicate your intention to the other driver (e.g. waving them onto the road). Eye to eye contact seems to be used more often here.

Just to be clear - all of the above applies to my part of Victoria. I am well aware that other parts of Australia have different driving styles - some of them even drive like the French.

Old Apr 13th 2006, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

cresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond repute

In our township!!!! every car that passes the driver acknowledges up with a wave, found it quite bizarre when we first arrived and we would often ask each other who was waving at us, Just part of the friendly manner of the community where we live and considered rude if you don't reciprocate.

Deb

PS I used to be a regular funeral goer in the UK (health care worker) and always thought road users to be very rude when over taking a funeral party which happened on a regular basis Hell I still used to stop and bow my head if one passed
Old Apr 13th 2006, 11:04 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Stacey xx
Not sure of how this is in OZ as each state has its own driving laws but when I was in NZ it was not only considered disrespectful to try and overtake a funeral procession, it was also illegal to do so.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 11:37 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Not sure about the procession thing but i did hear that funerals here are very different to UK. Generally black is not the order of the day and it is more to celebrate the life of someone rather than mourn - sort of following the Irish tradition I think. I think that's nice

Sarah
Old Apr 13th 2006, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
Not sure about the procession thing but i did hear that funerals here are very different to UK. Generally black is not the order of the day and it is more to celebrate the life of someone rather than mourn - sort of following the Irish tradition I think. I think that's nice

Sarah

But denies the loss and sorrow perhaps? But I would say that I am a psychotherapit.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 11:59 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Is it just the British?

Originally Posted by Ian12
But denies the loss and sorrow perhaps?
Not at all. Plenty of tears at my father's wedding.

But the wake that we held immediately afterwards was quite a happy affair. We played some of his favourite music, shared stories about his life and times, heard tributes from a couple of his best mates, recounted a few hiarious family anecdotes, talked about his good points, and counted the number of ways in which we'd miss him.

All jolly good stuff - and very healthy IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.