Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just discovered there's a baby on the way !!

Wikiposts

Just discovered there's a baby on the way !!

Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just discovered there's a baby on the way !!

Any help or advice would be appreciated with this.

We will be moving to Melbourne mid-April and all was proceeding smoothly until we discovered last week that Pam is pregnant . This was a bit of a surprise to say the least, but not an unpleasant one.

Where things get interesting is that Pam has been offered a job starting 9th May with an IT company. She had her final interview in Brisbane at the end of Feb and was told that she had the job, but we have not yet received the actual offer letter. Needless to say, we have not yet told the company about the pregnancy and are not quite sure of what to do. I am starting a company when we arrive and all of our plans had been made around Pam's job.

What is the position regarding maternity leave ie will there even be any ? Should we wait until Pam has been in the job for a couple of weeks before we say anything ?
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:29 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just discovered there's a baby on the way !!

Originally Posted by BenandPam

We will be moving to Melbourne mid-April and all was proceeding smoothly until we discovered last week that Pam is pregnant . This was a bit of a surprise to say the least, but not an unpleasant one.

Where things get interesting is that Pam has been offered a job starting 9th May with an IT company. She had her final interview in Brisbane at the end of Feb and was told that she had the job, but we have not yet received the actual offer letter. Needless to say, we have not yet told the company about the pregnancy and are not quite sure of what to do. I am starting a company when we arrive and all of our plans had been made around Pam's job.

What is the position regarding maternity leave ie will there even be any ? Should we wait until Pam has been in the job for a couple of weeks before we say anything ?

I don't have any answers just wanted to congratulate you
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

traceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant future

Sorry can't answer your question, but would just like to say congratulations!!!

What fabulous news and what a start to your new life in Oz!

All the best

Tracey x
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:43 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me & you both!!!!! LOL ITs a great feeling eh????
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:46 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
I don't have any answers just wanted to congratulate you
Same as fraser, sorry can't help with your quandry but just had to say CONGRATULATIONS

D D
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:54 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Same as fraser, sorry can't help with your quandry but just had to say CONGRATULATIONS

D D
Hiya DD

I think there is something in the water - don't you! LOLOL

Claire
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:05 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hiya DD

I think there is something in the water - don't you! LOLOL

Claire
Hi there Claire,

Or could it be a chair, everyone stand up.....NOW!!!!!! (phew, that was a close one!). Not that I don't like babies, I've had 2 of my own (now 11 & 12 yrs old!) but I'm a bit too over-the-hill for babies now (mid 40's). I do get broody every so often and regret not going for a 3rd. Mind you, you're still a whippersnapper so you've got plenty of time to pop another out after this one!!!!! Mind you, good job MrDD's had his bits tied otherwise I'd be tempted to go for another one (oh, getting a bit TMI here, there's no stopping me once I get going so I'd better stop now before I divulge something I'll regret )

Hope you are OK and babe is behaving!!!! I know you've had your scan, but do you get another one later on in your pregnancy?

D D
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:13 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Hi there Claire,

Or could it be a chair, everyone stand up.....NOW!!!!!! (phew, that was a close one!). Not that I don't like babies, I've had 2 of my own (now 11 & 12 yrs old!) but I'm a bit too over-the-hill for babies now (mid 40's). I do get broody every so often and regret not going for a 3rd. Mind you, you're still a whippersnapper so you've got plenty of time to pop another out after this one!!!!! Mind you, good job MrDD's had his bits tied otherwise I'd be tempted to go for another one (oh, getting a bit TMI here, there's no stopping me once I get going so I'd better stop now before I divulge something I'll regret )

Hope you are OK and babe is behaving!!!! I know you've had your scan, but do you get another one later on in your pregnancy?

D D
Sorry to all if we have hijacked this thread! Apologies!

Yes DD I have my second scan on Thursday & will be able to find out if its a bubba or a bubette.... LOL - I will let you know hun!

Claire
xxx
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:34 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Sorry to all if we have hijacked this thread! Apologies!

Yes DD I have my second scan on Thursday & will be able to find out if its a bubba or a bubette.... LOL - I will let you know hun!

Claire
xxx
Sorry too, that's me getting carried away (AGAIN!!)

D D
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Just discovered there's a baby on the way !!

Sorry too, that's me getting carried away (AGAIN!!)

D D

don't worry about hijacking the thread - we all get carried away sometimes. Thanks to everyone who sends their congratulations, guess it'll be a little while longer than planned before I learn to surf though!

It would be good to understand / get some advice on the whole company statutory maternity pay thing, just because we need to have an income whilst Ben's company is getting up and running.

Also, can anyone could help me understand how best to get an appointment for my 12 week scan - another fabulous piece of timing means that I will be 11 weeks gone when I land in Melbourne, so the scan appointment will be pressing by then. (Can I arrange it whilst I am here? Or do health service providers (public and / or private0 insist you are an Oz resident at the time of making appointments?)

Cheers.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:53 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

don't worry about hijacking the thread - we all get carried away sometimes. Thanks to everyone who sends their congratulations, guess it'll be a little while longer than planned before I learn to surf though!

It would be good to understand / get some advice on the whole company statutory maternity pay thing, just because we need to have an income whilst Ben's company is getting up and running.

Also, can anyone could help me understand how best to get an appointment for my 12 week scan - another fabulous piece of timing means that I will be 11 weeks gone when I land in Melbourne, so the scan appointment will be pressing by then. (Can I arrange it whilst I am here? Or do health service providers (public and / or private0 insist you are an Oz resident at the time of making appointments?)

Cheers.

Bump for Pam.....

(pardon the pun )

D D
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:15 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Cheers.
Hiya,

Congratulations on the baby.

Oz does not have statutory maternity pay, so unless you have something in your contract, you don't get maternity pay. The government will give you a $3000 baby bonus when the baby is born.

Regards
Alistair
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:19 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

If you accepted the job without telling the employers I think they would be in their rights to sack Pam once they found out.

The only thing aboput materinty leave here in Oz is that the employer must keep the same job available for you for upto 12 months after you have taken time off to have the baby. You should tell the company that Pam is pregnant and how long of a materinty leave she would be wanting to take and go from there.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:29 am
Professional Princess

I don't know anything about Aussie employment law but I want to say congratulations.

Everything happens for a reason and as you start your new life in Australia, you will be starting it with your new baby.

And what a better begining for you and your partner?

Good luck and I hope Pam has a stress free, healthy pregnancy.

Love Sam

Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:35 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you had your meds yet ie X-RAYS not recomended to xray a bump
OH and well done good on ya

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.