Just checking In

Wikiposts

Just checking In

Old Apr 16th 2005, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Pjay79 will become famous soon enoughPjay79 will become famous soon enough
Default Just checking In

Hi Everyone,

Well we made it to Brissy in one piece and I have settled in at my Mum's until I have my baby...... 4 weeks now OH MY GOODNESS :scared:

My house is still on the market in the UK which is driving me crazy, and because I am not there I have to rely on everyone else's word that the market is slow, I have no interested people etc etc It isn't even that bad a house and I just don't understand.... rant over

I am loving it being back "home" and my partner is adjusting to life here quite easily which is good, the only downer is sending every spare bit of money back to cover mortgage.

Just out of curiosity did anyone have problems with young children when they first got here with going barefoot on different textures, or being afraid of flies etc my son is 21/2 and he seems to be very scared of the things he didn't really see in the UK and we don't know the best way to coax him.

Paula
Old Apr 16th 2005, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Just checking In

For those it may not have read clear to...... my son is 2 and a half years old
Old Apr 16th 2005, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

jaycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paula,
Firstly good luck with the new forthcoming arrival.
Your post made me chuckle a little as we have a 4 and a half year old son and he is also scared of flies and really anything that moves, and thats living here in the UK.
We are planning to also settle in the brisbane area in the next few months so i can just picture him in the house and too scared to go outside.
Let me know if you find any good suggestions to help him out.
Good luck with everything.
Karen
Old Apr 16th 2005, 8:55 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pjay79
Just out of curiosity did anyone have problems with young children when they first got here with going barefoot on different textures, or being afraid of flies etc my son is 21/2 and he seems to be very scared of the things he didn't really see in the UK and we don't know the best way to coax him.
Paula
Yep - my three and a half year old son got incredibly wound up by the flies when we were out there last xmas. However after about three weeks he got used to them and whereas before we'd be constantly swatting them off him, he just got on with it himself. He's not scared of spiders and christmas bugs and the like - quite the opposite - so we'll have to instill some healthy 'fear' in him in that regard before we move out next year. I reckon you've just got to let them get on with it - at the moment it's all extra-ordinary, when it becomes ordinary he'll forget all about it.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

I guess I just have to let him get on with it in his own way, and a "healthy" fear of creepy crawlies here is no bad thing, but it is just really embarrasing when he starts yelling and screaming coz he doesn't like something. You'd think the flies were murdering him, and there isn't even that many at the moment, luckily he hasn't encountered a spider yet

He also has a problem with walking over anything unfamiliar, eg bark or dirt in playgrounds with sandals on as in the UK since he could walk he has always had closed in shoes. It is funny really when you aren't dealing with the hysterics of him having something touch his feet. I have never realised a child could be so fussy about getting their feet dirty
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:24 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pjay79
Hi Everyone,

Well we made it to Brissy in one piece and I have settled in at my Mum's until I have my baby...... 4 weeks now OH MY GOODNESS :scared:

My house is still on the market in the UK which is driving me crazy, and because I am not there I have to rely on everyone else's word that the market is slow, I have no interested people etc etc It isn't even that bad a house and I just don't understand.... rant over

I am loving it being back "home" and my partner is adjusting to life here quite easily which is good, the only downer is sending every spare bit of money back to cover mortgage.

Paula
Hi Paula,

Glad to hear you've made it to Brissie and you're enjoying it!!! Better than drab horrible grey damp Newport eh!!!!!! Which part of Brissie are you in??? We are in Bray Park.

I'm sure your house will sell soon - so don't stress over it - just relax for the next 4 weeks before the new baby comes along!!!

My son - who is nearly 3 is a bit scared of things too and he doesn't like getting bark in his sandals at the park either!!! I think it's just coz the're not used to it and they will adjust to it soon - I hope!!

Let me know how you're getting on???

Shell
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shecha
Hi Paula,

Glad to hear you've made it to Brissie and you're enjoying it!!! Better than drab horrible grey damp Newport eh!!!!!! Which part of Brissie are you in??? We are in Bray Park.

I'm sure your house will sell soon - so don't stress over it - just relax for the next 4 weeks before the new baby comes along!!!

My son - who is nearly 3 is a bit scared of things too and he doesn't like getting bark in his sandals at the park either!!! I think it's just coz the're not used to it and they will adjust to it soon - I hope!!

Let me know how you're getting on???

Shell
Hi Shell,

Things are definately better than drab old newport, and from what I hear from my family over there Newport is getting worse, especially with crime.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a fussy toddler, every time we go to the park I cringe in case he says "Too Yucky" and starts screaming :scared:

I am in Brookfield at the moment which is in the western suburbs not far from Indooroopilly and Kenmore. Staying with my mum until we can sell the house, which has been a godsend.

Let me know how you are getting on too

Paula