Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just checked mortgage rates - OMG!!

Just checked mortgage rates - OMG!!

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default Just checked mortgage rates - OMG!!

Currently in the process of applying for skilled migration visa. Decided to check out mortgage rates. 6.5% (HSBC)!!!! Borrowing $200K over 25 years was working out at over $2K per month. My god that is high compared to home (Ireland - adverage interest rate around 3.5%). Am I missing something or is this the reality? Is there tax relief available on mortgages like at home?

Won't stop me from coming though
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:25 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just checked mortgage rates - OMG!!

Originally Posted by gidxg03
Currently in the process of applying for skilled migration visa. Decided to check out mortgage rates. 6.5% (HSBC)!!!! Borrowing $200K over 25 years was working out at over $2K per month. My god that is high compared to home (Ireland - adverage interest rate around 3.5%). Am I missing something or is this the reality? Is there tax relief available on mortgages like at home?

I would double check, 3.5% seems too low.
Are you sure that is a mortgage rate?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
I would double check, 3.5% seems too low.
Are you sure that is a mortgage rate?

3.5% is what you can get here at home in Ireland. I'm asking if 6.5% is adverage in Oz?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

6.5% is quite low & quite a good deal. A lot of people are paying 7%+.
$200k is a very small mortgage by Aussie standards.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:30 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

3.5% is what you can get here at home in Ireland. I'm asking if 6.5% is adverage in Oz?
Yep 6.5 to 7 % seems to be the going rate in Aus and it looks like its only going to go one way....and thats up :scared:

regards,Lee
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

6.5% I WISH !!!

Are rate is 7.49% and is going up by 0.25% at the mo , if you are new to Aus you can only really go for lo or no doc home loan as you have no Aus credit rating so the rate is higher for the 1st 2 years

Is it really 3.5% were you are ? There is no tax relief on your main home here and there was none in the UK , agian did not know your neck of the woods had this.

On the plus side rates are only £846.00 per year and include water
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:31 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I got that bit,(3.5% in Ireland/6.5% oz)
Bank of england base rate is 4.75% (I think) and the oz base rate is 5.75%, so 6.5% seems right for oz.

Suni
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabby
Are rate is 7.49% and is going up by 0.25% at the mo , if you are new to Aus you can only really go for lo or no doc home loan as you have no Aus credit rating so the rate is higher for the 1st 2 years
Not so dure about this. I got a 6.3% mortgage 10 weeks after arriving. I had a 12 month work contract. It was so easy to get it was scary.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Gulp this is a bit depressing....

Here at home in Ireland you can get a first time buyers mortgage for about 3.5% - 4% with mortgage relief that shaves about €100 off your mortgage each month. Also we do not have any rates

Oh well better to know the situation now rather than later.

We will not be buying for the first year. Hopefully we will have fulltime employment at that stage and will be able to qualify for a mortgage.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not so dure about this. I got a 6.3% mortgage 10 weeks after arriving. I had a 12 month work contract. It was so easy to get it was scary.
We did not have jobs or offers and got a home loan from rams for $210,000 13 days after getting here at 7.25% , know what you mean about scary could depend on lender I spose
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Gulp this is a bit depressing....

Here at home in Ireland you can get a first time buyers mortgage for about 3.5% - 4% with mortgage relief that shaves about €100 off your mortgage each month. Also we do not have any rates

Oh well better to know the situation now rather than later.

We will not be buying for the first year. Hopefully we will have fulltime employment at that stage and will be able to qualify for a mortgage.
is there no counciil tax or charges for bin emptying and stuff
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

is there no counciil tax or charges for bin emptying and stuff
We pay about €30 per month for our bins to be collected. There is no council tax or water rates where I am. They are talking about introducing water rates but it's free at the moment.

On the other hand I do live in the most expensive county in the EU zone. Prices on other items are way way higher than the UK or anywhere else.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:57 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

We did not have jobs or offers and got a home loan from rams for $210,000 13 days after getting here at 7.25% , know what you mean about scary could depend on lender I spose
we arrived 3 months ago...got a morgage with Rams too..we had no jobs or prove of income at the time. So we are paying 7.5% now. Yes my morgage is double what it was in the UK. Very depressing i know. Just hope the move here is worth all this heartache. Wouldn't have bothered coming if i knew all this now.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:53 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

if you have a good mortgage person on your side its often possible to find good deals, we got a fixed rate of 5.9% with Suncorp a few months back.

Lynn
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:00 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

6.5% I WISH !!!

Is it really 3.5% were you are ? There is no tax relief on your main home here and there was none in the UK , agian did not know your neck of the woods had this.

On the plus side rates are only £846.00 per year and include water
Rate would only be higher if you present a higher risk. With a higher deposit ie 30% + there is limited risk so no difference in rate. We got offered 6.82% today post yesterdays rate rise. The tried to claim MIG for amounts over $500K I said forget it. 10 mins later after conversation with manager they waived it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.