Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

just cant decide gold coast or perth???????

just cant decide gold coast or perth???????

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:08 am
Just Joined

porter555 is just really niceporter555 is just really niceporter555 is just really niceporter555 is just really niceporter555 is just really niceporter555 is just really niceporter555 is just really niceporter555 is just really nice
Default just cant decide gold coast or perth???????

hi im a 27yr old electrician and cant wait to move to oz.ive been told that i will have no problem finding work but cant decide on the gold coast or perth?? im married have no kids and want to be quite near to the beach.i dont want to be out in the sticks but inner city life isnt really me either...please any suggestions welcome:curse:
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Shhhhhh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: just cant decide gold coast or perth???????

For me this would be a real tough one to decide. I lived in Perth for 2 years and spent a week's holiday in Surfer's Paradise, but this comes to mind:

Beaches - Gold Coast
Regular city life - Perth
Cost of accommodation - same
Mountainbiking - Gold Coast Hinterland
Mozzies - Gold Coast
Fun - Gold Coast
Schoolie's week - Gold Coast
Hoons - Gold Coast
Traffic - slight advantage Gold Coast, though I found it pretty populated for a place in Queensland
CBD - Perth
Climate - Gold Coast
Scenery - Perth
Lifestyle - Perth
Friendliness - advantage Gold Coast ?
Crowds - Gold Coast

This probably won't help a lot, but maybe give you a rough idea what to expect.
Good luck!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:40 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shhhhhh
For me this would be a real tough one to decide. I lived in Perth for 2 years and spent a week's holiday in Surfer's Paradise, but this comes to mind:

Beaches - Gold Coast
Regular city life - Perth
Cost of accommodation - same
Mountainbiking - Gold Coast Hinterland
Mozzies - Gold Coast
Fun - Gold Coast
Schoolie's week - Gold Coast
Hoons - Gold Coast
Traffic - slight advantage Gold Coast, though I found it pretty populated for a place in Queensland
CBD - Perth
Climate - Gold Coast
Scenery - Perth
Lifestyle - Perth
Friendliness - advantage Gold Coast ?
Crowds - Gold Coast

This probably won't help a lot, but maybe give you a rough idea what to expect.
Good luck!
well having spent a full week in the gold coast ( sorry surfers ) you`ll be an expert then

thats why you wont find any posts from steve`o re perth
never been
would like to one day for hols and well just to see whats its like a new place to explore etc
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:49 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by porter555
hi im a 27yr old electrician and cant wait to move to oz.ive been told that i will have no problem finding work but cant decide on the gold coast or perth?? im married have no kids and want to be quite near to the beach.i dont want to be out in the sticks but inner city life isnt really me either...please any suggestions welcome:curse:
firstly we have our own sparkies forum mate loads of info forma agood cross section of guys who are based aroundthe country
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

now regarding no problems finding work i`d do your research on that one mate as things are getting tight in a couple of areas, again have alook in the sparkies forum, ( lots of work and brass to be made in the mines but its a shitty job )

where to live ??
this place is huge mate, to give you an idea
brisbane or perth is the equilant of saying manchester or egypt
they really are that far apart
personally i`d draw up a list of what you want and see which place ticks the most boxes

good luck either way

regards steve
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

sutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to all

Hi Steve

Just been reading your posts.

I know your an electician, but do you have any idea on work for bricklayers around Gold Coast area??

Thanks, Mandy
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Only one way to find out, visit both places first, then decide..
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

porter555 is just really niceporter555 is just really niceporter555 is just really niceporter555 is just really niceporter555 is just really niceporter555 is just really niceporter555 is just really niceporter555 is just really nice

thanks steve o
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:15 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Only one way to find out, visit both places first, then decide..
a -- expensive solution
b -- you need to be somewhere for several months to ge a true feel for the place

its a difficult one
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:19 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by sutty77
Hi Steve

Just been reading your posts.

I know your an electician, but do you have any idea on work for bricklayers around Gold Coast area??

Thanks, Mandy
sorry as i dont get involved with new builds etc i dont get to see that side of consturction
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:31 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

It would seem that those that love Perth hate the GC and vice versa judging by most posts on here It is not as simple as GC = the tackiness of Surfers Paradise or that Perth means Hicksville as some would have you believe, it is a lot closer than that. But there is no smoke without fire. So maybe if you can't decide between the two you need to do your homework better?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:24 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by worzel
It would seem that those that love Perth hate the GC and vice versa judging by most posts on here It is not as simple as GC = the tackiness of Surfers Paradise or that Perth means Hicksville as some would have you believe, it is a lot closer than that. But there is no smoke without fire. So maybe if you can't decide between the two you need to do your homework better?
dont tar us all with this brush mate
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Surfers paradise is one small part of the Gold coast. There are lots of residential suburbs on the gold coast, most within a 15 min drive to the beach, and 15 min drive the other way to the hinterland.
We have the best of both worlds over here!!
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:35 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered the sunshine coast ?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the best way to annoy somebody living on the Gold Coast? Assume its all Surfers Paradise and liken it to a tacky resort like Blackpool

We stayed on the Gold Coast (Helensvale) last year and used it as our base for a month in between visiting Cairns and Sydney. We went into Surfers (30 min drive so hardly close) twice and I have to say I thought it was lovely. Not somewhere that I would choose to live in or particularly close to but a great place to have as an option for a day/night out. Having been to Rhyl (N.Wales) a couple of weeks ago I can tell you that Surfers is an infinately higher class of "tack" and one that I think most people could live with !! Its clean and much more spacious than any UK resort you could think of as a comparison. Yes, it has highrise buildings but a lot of them are lovely to look at, not the hideous square grey blocks that you get in somewhere like Benidorm. And don't forget the main reason that the resort has grown, the fabulous beach.

As I have said, we were there for a month and only went to Surfers twice. So I can assure you there is PLENTY of other stuff to see and do, and we hardly scratched the surface. Please don't anybody be put off by what you think Surfers may be like. Either go and see for yourself or read the hundreds of posts on here that show all the other things that the Gold Coast has to offer.

Ren xx
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:00 am
Banned

nomadicmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Perth is very isolated. GC isn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.