Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

just bought a car

just bought a car

Old Sep 13th 2005, 3:08 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default just bought a car

We went out yesterday determined to find us a cheap runabout. Ideally I would love to have a mitsubishi magna as the car is spot on for what we want and I've driven them before last time we was here, and loved it. Due to us being on an extremely tight budget we don't have lot to spend so my hopes of having that car to begin with were thrown out of the window. After searching through ebay and the papers we found a car that sounded spot on but it had sold already, so it was back to hunting....and guess what....mitsubishi magna v6 for sale around the corner, so off we went to have a look. It's got a scratch down one side but that's only cosmetic so doesn't bother us. Other than that a couple of small bits and bobs need doing to it but it's all minor repairs, nothing major. And of course, having a hubby who is good with cars helps. So, he's fixed it up this morning and took it for a road worthy, which is where he is right now so fingers crossed it passes.
And even better, we managed to get a further $490 knocked off the price, due to the bits of work that needs doing. The guy selling knocked the price down as he was desperate to sell as he is about to leave Oz for the UK! He's in the process of moving over to Swinton.
It's all going well for us and I'm surprised how easy I've found these first few days (we've only been here 4 days) lets just hope it stays this way.
Marie

forget to mention that the car has had a road worthy test every year as up until Christmas it was in NSW

Last edited by 68MEVY; Sep 13th 2005 at 3:41 am.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 6:19 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: just bought a car

Hi Marie

I didnt realise you were there already....... sounds like you're getting sorted!
Old Sep 13th 2005, 6:30 am
Banned

Astro will become famous soon enoughAstro will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
We went out yesterday determined to find us a cheap runabout. Ideally I would love to have a mitsubishi magna as the car is spot on for what we want and I've driven them before last time we was here, and loved it. Due to us being on an extremely tight budget we don't have lot to spend so my hopes of having that car to begin with were thrown out of the window. After searching through ebay and the papers we found a car that sounded spot on but it had sold already, so it was back to hunting....and guess what....mitsubishi magna v6 for sale around the corner, so off we went to have a look. It's got a scratch down one side but that's only cosmetic so doesn't bother us. Other than that a couple of small bits and bobs need doing to it but it's all minor repairs, nothing major. And of course, having a hubby who is good with cars helps. So, he's fixed it up this morning and took it for a road worthy, which is where he is right now so fingers crossed it passes.
And even better, we managed to get a further $490 knocked off the price, due to the bits of work that needs doing. The guy selling knocked the price down as he was desperate to sell as he is about to leave Oz for the UK! He's in the process of moving over to Swinton.
It's all going well for us and I'm surprised how easy I've found these first few days (we've only been here 4 days) lets just hope it stays this way.
Marie

forget to mention that the car has had a road worthy test every year as up until Christmas it was in NSW

Just to let you know, Magna's aren't the most reputable car in Aus & The resale value is very poor.

Also, Mitsubishi is about to release a new model, similar to the Magna named the 380 (or could be 360), so it's no wonder the guy is very keen to offload it to avoid a price reduction on his 2nd hand model.

Good luck with it though. If hubby's a mechanic, I'm sure he'll be able to see if its a lemon or not.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Q

Originally Posted by Astro
Just to let you know, Magna's aren't the most reputable car in Aus & The resale value is very poor.

Also, Mitsubishi is about to release a new model, similar to the Magna named the 380 (or could be 360), so it's no wonder the guy is very keen to offload it to avoid a price reduction on his 2nd hand model.

Good luck with it though. If hubby's a mechanic, I'm sure he'll be able to see if its a lemon or not.
If you were happy with the car and price you paid, enjoy it. Considering the current model style has been around for nearly 10 years they cant be that bad! It wouldnt matter what ever you bought, it would always have been the wrong make, model, colour, whatever to some people.

Sure beats walking!

WW
Old Sep 13th 2005, 11:29 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your settling in really well Marie....good on ya
Old Sep 13th 2005, 1:27 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
Met you briefly at the Ripley meet in May.
Good luck with your new life! (wish it was us!!!......still waiting!!)
Old Sep 13th 2005, 7:47 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

The car flew through the road worthy so we did bag a bargain. Hubby can't find any faults with the engine or mechanical side of it either. What started as a cheap run about car until we get jobs and can afford something better might actually turn out to be our second car.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 8:29 pm
Banned

Astro will become famous soon enoughAstro will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
The car flew through the road worthy so we did bag a bargain. Hubby can't find any faults with the engine or mechanical side of it either. What started as a cheap run about car until we get jobs and can afford something better might actually turn out to be our second car.

Don't say you haven't be warned.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 8:37 pm
GC family day carer

Don't say you haven't be warned.
Thanks for your input but we're well aware of the risks. If it lasts until the end of the year it's done what we want, if it doesn't, it doesn't and if it keeps going we'll keep running it until it's had it. Atleast now we can get around without any hassle.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

I'm very impressed only been there 4 days and you already have a motor. We have hired one for a week and i thought that i would be pushing it to try and find a car to but in that short time. Hope you get loads of good motoring out of it.