Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just been stung.......

Just been stung.......

Old Aug 4th 2005, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Just been stung.......

.......by a BEE !!!!
Would you believe it ? 32 years in the UK and was never stung , 9 months in Oz and stung by a Bee.
At least it wasn't a funnel web ! :scared:
NOTE TO ALL SOON TO BE EX-PATS - remember ANTHISAN cream , you can't buy it here and it works really well on the mozzie bites (as well as stings)
All the best (with a sore arm)
Tass.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 5:37 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Just been stung.......

Originally Posted by Tass
.......by a BEE !!!!
Would you believe it ? 32 years in the UK and was never stung , 9 months in Oz and stung by a Bee.
At least it wasn't a funnel web ! :scared:
NOTE TO ALL SOON TO BE EX-PATS - remember ANTHISAN cream , you can't buy it here and it works really well on the mozzie bites (as well as stings)
All the best (with a sore arm)
Tass.
Yes, I'll believe it, but then I would. 15 years in Australia, no snake bites, but I was bitten by a snake in the UK

Old Aug 4th 2005, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Just been stung.......

LOL !!!
How lucky was that ?!?
My husband just phoned me to tell me you don't get bee's in Oz !
Old Aug 4th 2005, 6:05 am
ABCDiamond

LOL !!!
How lucky was that ?!?
I still spent 1 week in Hospital down in Truro. Lucky me even managed to get bitten by just about the only poisonous one in the UK.

The normal Australian bee isn't the same as the European bee. I think it looks more like a wasp.
Although there are about 10 different types, and I think the European bee has been introduced.
http://www.zeta.org.au/~anbrc/beesinyourarea.html

Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yes, I'll believe it, but then I would. 15 years in Australia, no snake bites, but I was bitten by a snake in the UK
Bitten by a UK snake: tell it like is is.

Bitten by an Ozzie snake: no-one gets to hear the story! <g>
Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

LOL !!!
How lucky was that ?!?

Err what are those things with stripes that, buzz around flowers then ?

We dont get Bumble bees in Aus, but we sure get various types of Honey bees.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rog Williams

Plenty to read up on:

From a 1990's article:
In Australia there are about 3,000 snake bites per year, of which 200 to 500 receive antivenom; on average one or two will prove fatal.
http://www.usyd.edu.au/anaes/venom/snakebite.html

There were 18 known fatal snake bites in the ten year period 1981-1991.

A more recent article:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/s&s.html

In the 22 years to December 2001, 37 deaths have, in part, been attributed to snakebite in Australia

Snakes only bite in defence when threatened, accidentally picked up in material such as tree prunings and firewood or trodden on.

Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:11 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

LOL !!!
How lucky was that ?!?

....perhaps its one that snuck in with your luggage
Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:24 am
aussie73

Originally Posted by Rog Williams

Sorry but you are wrong and ABC diamond is right, only 1 or 2 of the 3,000 people bitten by snakes in OZ each year die. About the same number that die from bee and wasp stings. No one has died from a venomous spider bite since 1980.

Last edited by aussie73; Aug 4th 2005 at 7:32 am.

Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond]I still spent 1 week in Hospital down in Truro. Lucky me even managed to get bitten by just about the only poisonous one in the UK.

OOPS !!! Sorry I wouldn't have laughed at the irony so hard if I thought you'd been hurt !

"I am assuming a bee stung me because it left it's stinger in."That's what I told the hubby .
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:05 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Tass]
I still spent 1 week in Hospital down in Truro. Lucky me even managed to get bitten by just about the only poisonous one in the UK.

OOPS !!! Sorry I wouldn't have laughed at the irony so hard if I thought you'd been hurt !

"I am assuming a bee stung me because it left it's stinger in."That's what I told the hubby .
That'd bee (ha ha) right! Put bicarb on it, it helps to neutralise the poison. Sending some karma to ease the pain
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:15 am
ABCDiamond

Don't worry , I laugh about it now

But I don't play with snakes anymore !!

Well.... I didn't know the UK had poisonous snakes back then !

Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:41 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry , I laugh about it now

But I don't play with snakes anymore !!

Well.... I didn't know the UK had poisonous snakes back then !
ABCDiamond,

What on earth were you doing to manage to get bitten by a snake??? Were you (I'll put this delicately) rolling around in the grass???

Nicky
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
ABCDiamond,

What on earth were you doing to manage to get bitten by a snake??? Were you (I'll put this delicately) rolling around in the grass???

Nicky
Nothings as silly as that... and you have to remember I was young at the time.....

I was playing with it, i'd picked it up and blew in its face a few times, can't remember what else, but it got fed up with me after a while and BIT me !! (on the finger)

A local cafe owner recognised what it was, and organised for a Local Doctor quickly, who gave me an injection, and then organised transport to the hospital.

I remember the injection, the size of my swollen hand and the nurse even though it was many many years ago

Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:58 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Nothings as silly as that... and you have to remember I was young at the time.....

I was playing with it, i'd picked it up and blew in its face a few times, can't remember what else, but it got fed up with me after a while and BIT me !! (on the finger)

A local cafe owner recognised what it was, and organised for a Local Doctor quickly, who gave me an injection, and then organised transport to the hospital.

I remember the injection, the size of my swollen hand and the nurse even though it was many many years ago
Oh, I thought you meant you'd got bitten recently, sorry!

I sat on an earwig once and it bit me - obviously they aren't poisonous but that was a surprisingly painful experience. I'm more careful where I park my backside now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.