Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just been stung.......

Just been stung.......

Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:35 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice
Default Re: Just been stung.......

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Nothings as silly as that... and you have to remember I was young at the time.....

I was playing with it, i'd picked it up and blew in its face a few times, can't remember what else, but it got fed up with me after a while and BIT me !! (on the finger)

A local cafe owner recognised what it was, and organised for a Local Doctor quickly, who gave me an injection, and then organised transport to the hospital.

I remember the injection, the size of my swollen hand and the nurse even though it was many many years ago
What's the chances of that??? ...most people in the UK don't ever see a snake, never mind get bitten by one!!!!

That must have been an Adder(also know as a Viper) then?? I believe that's the only poisonous snake in the UK!?? It has v shape markings along it's back, does sound familier, or can't you remember??
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:41 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Plenty to read up on:

From a 1990's article:
In Australia there are about 3,000 snake bites per year, of which 200 to 500 receive antivenom; on average one or two will prove fatal.
http://www.usyd.edu.au/anaes/venom/snakebite.html

There were 18 known fatal snake bites in the ten year period 1981-1991.

A more recent article:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/s&s.html

In the 22 years to December 2001, 37 deaths have, in part, been attributed to snakebite in Australia

Snakes only bite in defence when threatened, accidentally picked up in material such as tree prunings and firewood or trodden on.
Except the brown snake which chases you with a vengence. ABCDiamond where abouts in Cornwall were you when the adder bit you? Did you live there or were you on holiday, I only ask because thats where I'm from.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by GrantP
What's the chances of that??? ...most people in the UK don't ever see a snake, never mind get bitten by one!!!!

That must have been an Adder(also know as a Viper) then?? I believe that's the only poisonous snake in the UK!?? It has v shape markings along it's back, does sound familier, or can't you remember??
Yes, I remember it being an Adder, and someone said a big one at that, but not many people die from the bite these days.

I was bitten in about 1965 I think, and in the UK there has not been a death from an adder bite since 1975. Although about 10 "recorded" deaths between 1900 and 1975 ...... Hmmmmm

It did put me right of holidays in Cornwall

Arkon: Mul???? Cove rings a vague bell. There was a Cafe where I had a crab salad. I've never eaten crab since either !!

Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:22 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Talking Re: Just been stung.......

And I thought Bees, Snakes, Monkeys and Elephants are found in cities and villages in my place (India) only...
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:24 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Anne4Terry]
Originally Posted by Tass
That'd bee (ha ha) right! Put bicarb on it, it helps to neutralise the poison. Sending some karma to ease the pain
And consider homoeopathic apis?