Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just Been Offered a Job - Questions....

Just Been Offered a Job - Questions....

Old Jul 5th 2012, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

chrisall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just Been Offered a Job - Questions....

Hi all,

after a couple of months of applying for jobs in Aus whilst still in the UK....numerous knock-backs (3 rejection e-mails in 1 day was a bit grim)....one phone interview... well after all that I have received an e-mail advising I'm the 'preferred candidate' for a position and there is a formal offer letter & new starter pack on it's way. OMG probably sums up the range of emotions I'm feeling, but now I have questions.

The letter states there is a (short) period in which unsuccessful applicants have the right to appeal. Presumably an appeal could be upheld in theory, which would mean that in the worst-case although I am preferred they would have to give the job to the other person?

Assuming nobody rains on my parade, what do I need to do first? What are the priority things I need to do before I leave UK and those immediately I arrive Aus?

How do I get a tax number? Presumably I need this before I start work? I already have an Aus bank account I opened on my validation trip, but obviously I don't have an Aus address. What other official things do I need to do...how do I get an Aus driving licence?

Do I need to be in Aus to get everything in place or is there any prep I can do before I arrive. I'm just thinking I don't want to be hanging about in temporary accommodation not earning whilst all the paperwork's being sorted. Ideally I'd like to arrive with almost everything in place.

Are there any forms I need to fill in to tell UK HMRC or anybody that I'm working overseas?

I'm on a really tight budget to start with so am looking at the cheapest accommodation possible, I was thinking backpackers or the YMCA for a few weeks when I first arrive. I'll be on my own so am flexible, don't mind roughing it a bit and just looking for a bed and somewhere to keep my personal stuff safe. Thoughts please? Re addresses - can I get a mailbox address and use that for all official purposes to start with? I'm likely to be moving around a bit whilst I get setted, so a mailbox would be more static / secure? or do I need an actual residential address?

Flights - I'm looking for the cheapest - do the major airlines generally have any last minute / standby fares? Could I just turn up at the airport and get the first available seat? The prices for one way are almost as much as return. If I got a return could I sell the return ticket in Aus? Alternatively what is the maximum length of time in the future I could get the return for? I'm thinking I could get a return say 6months away if possible and use that to come back to UK for a visit?

I have so many questions! I'm sure there's loads of stuff I haven't thought about - any advice is welcome from you guys that have made the move.

One last point - if you're currently applying for jobs just persevere! I was told by a certain well-known agency I was highly unlikely to even get an interview whilst overseas. I'm personally not in a position to just rock up in Aus and spend months/years finding work, so had to do it this way, I agree it's harder, but certainly not impossible.

Cheers,
Chrisall
Old Jul 5th 2012, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Been Offered a Job - Questions....

What a lot of questions in one post.

Here are comments on some of them..

I have never heard of appeal rights of unsuccessful candidates, is the job in public sector? If so perhaps somebody that has worked in that can comment further.

You can apply for a TFN once you arrive in Australia but not before. You can start work without it, I flew in on a Thursday and started work on next Monday before I had my TFN. In my case the TFN arrived before first payroll run, so I didn't pay any emergency tax, but that is one possibility for a short period.

Many people fill in the HMRC P85 when they leave UK, I didn't bother myself as I had rental income coming in so decided to wait until the end of the tax year to sort things out.

YMCA - sure why not whilst you get settled.

Flights - I would think turning up at airport would be an expensive and ineffective way of doing things. We got one way tickets and they were only just over half of the return ticket.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup... The old "you have been successful but this doesnt guarentee you a job, as sore loosers have the right to put a spanner in the works and make HR jump through hoops proving they have followed correct procedure" letter

Must be a public sector job.....

Like NURSING

Sorry... Vent over....

I would settle petal until you have the job offer....

There will be a deadline for appeals... Once that deadline is past IF no one has complained about the process then they can make job offers.... If anyone has it can tye things up for weeks....
Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Yup... The old "you have been successful but this doesnt guarentee you a job, as sore loosers have the right to put a spanner in the works and make HR jump through hoops proving they have followed correct procedure" letter
..... ha ha .... and of course everyone knows how useless HR depts are and can guarrentee they are going to make a mistake somewhere along the way and as usual HR come out looking like roses as they are like teflon - nothing ever sticks

my rant over
Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
..... ha ha .... and of course everyone knows how useless HR depts are and can guarrentee they are going to make a mistake somewhere along the way and as usual HR come out looking like roses as they are like teflon - nothing ever sticks

my rant over
Honestly? HR carries the can for a lot of stuff that goes wrong...Many are actually management issues.... Not submitting the right forms, not signing them, failing to follow procedure, not Knowing procedure.... Its an easy out to blame a faceless HR dept.

She says... Not quite believeing it herself
Old Jul 6th 2012, 3:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisall
The letter states there is a (short) period in which unsuccessful applicants have the right to appeal. Presumably an appeal could be upheld in theory, which would mean that in the worst-case although I am preferred they would have to give the job to the other person?
Sounds like a public service position, thats the only place I've come across appeals. However even then there are rules around it - Queensland for example - you can appeal an appointment if the person getting the job was already a permanent public servant, and you doing the appealing are also a permanent public servant. Sucks in my book, we looked into it once after a particularly dubious selection procedure that went against me but cos I was only a temp public servant I couldn't appeal.
Assuming nobody rains on my parade, what do I need to do first? What are the priority things I need to do before I leave UK and those immediately I arrive Aus?

How do I get a tax number? Presumably I need this before I start work?
Can't do that till you get here, do it online, takes about 10 days. You don't need it to start work.
Are there any forms I need to fill in to tell UK HMRC or anybody that I'm working overseas?
Fill in a P85 from their website

Flights - I'm looking for the cheapest - do the major airlines generally have any last minute / standby fares? Could I just turn up at the airport and get the first available seat? The prices for one way are almost as much as return. If I got a return could I sell the return ticket in Aus? Alternatively what is the maximum length of time in the future I could get the return for? I'm thinking I could get a return say 6months away if possible and use that to come back to UK for a visit?
You won't get a standby to Aus these days unless you are crew. You can book a return flight for a year ahead with most airlines
Old Jul 6th 2012, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

I think you have up to 28 days where you aren't subject to emergency tax to give you the opportunity to get your TFN (Tax File Number). I did mine on line the day after I arrived, it took about a week to get to me. I gave my work address to post it to.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 6:22 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I recently booked ABZ-LHR-MEL with Qantas at less than a week's notice and the one way fare was GBP630...I was pretty happy with it because in AUD terms it seemed cheap.

If you book the cheapest of the cheap return tickets you may find it has limited validity...I've had tickets where the return had to be flown within 30 days...you pay more, you might get longer validity. If you decide to buy a return and it allows refund of unused segments don't expect to get 50% back. The airline knows what you are doing and will determine what you would've paid as a one way fare...your refund will be reduced accordingly.

You likely can't sell the ticket...that would involve a name change which would either be not allowed or attract a hefty fee.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eddie007

Must be a public sector job.....
Yup, correct.

Thanks for all the replies, the info about flights especially useful, as when I looked a while back I'm sure the return fare was only something like £100 more than the single. Need to do lots more research whilst waiting for the appeal period to end.

Cheers,
Chrisall
Old Jul 7th 2012, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

John Mc will become famous soon enoughJohn Mc will become famous soon enough

As Leewillo has said, you have 28 days to inform your payroll of your TFN. I got mine just within the 28 days You pay the normal rate of tax for that tax period.

Also Leewillo where about in Secret Harbour are you? We're in SH too
Old Jul 7th 2012, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

I was thinking backpackers or the YMCA for a few weeks when I first arrive.
After reading the reviews on tripadviser I can safely say I'm no longer thinking of the YMCA!

Cheers,
Chrisall
Old Jul 9th 2012, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

KingsthorpeDavid will become famous soon enough

As the Americans would say, your need to get your ass over here.
Just do it! Assuming you have a Visa for Permanent Residency.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KingsthorpeDavid
As the Americans would say, your need to get your ass over here.
Just do it! Assuming you have a Visa for Permanent Residency.

PR sorted
Job sorted
Accommodation....working on it

Won't be long now.

Cheers,
Chrisall
Old Jul 9th 2012, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

KingsthorpeDavid will become famous soon enough

The YHA is my preferred backpackers in Australia.
Was dragged around YHA Hostels in Wales and Scotland by my parents as a child.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Tim86 is an unknown quantity at this point

when are you heading over?