Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just back from Perth if you're interested

Just back from Perth if you're interested

Old Mar 1st 2003, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

pamzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just back from Perth if you're interested

Hi we're just back from a 3 week holiday to Perth and thought we'd share our opinion of the place.
Basically I thought Perth was a very attractive city, clean, lovely beaches, lots of parks and playgrounds. The people were very friendly and seemed very interested in us. There are loads of expats there and they were also very helpful. The other thing I liked was being able to eat in DECENT restaurants with the kids because you could sit outside on the terrace where it didn't matter if the kids were noisy - it beats beefeaters and McDonalds !
We were disappointed with the 4 bedroom villa we stayed in in Joondalup. When the kids were in bed we had to whisper and keep the telly low ! however at $220k including pool it was quite attractive. We looked at other houses in the northern suburbs and our general feel was that $350k was the minimum level for a large comfortable family home.
The other area of concern was that salaries are quite a bit lower and we were informed that it could take 6-8 months to attain permanent employment (in Accountancy) but contract work could be found in a day or so.
We saw very few beasties e.g. spiders, wasps, mosquitoes !
Basically after our visit we will migrate (we are about to undergo medicals stage) but with the normal nervousness of giving up a good standard of living in the UK for the relative unknown of OZ.
I'm really glad we went out as I think its good to get the general feel of a place. I only wish we could secure employment first !

Hope this is of interest.
Old Mar 1st 2003, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to hear your trip was worthwhile, I also work in Accountancy (CIMA - Management accountancy rather than practice) out of interest wahat is your general feel of wages and availability of jobs in the field? Have you thought about any other areas other than Perth?
Old Mar 1st 2003, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just back from Perth if you're interested

Hi Pamzo

Interested to read your experiences. We'll be out in Perth at the beginning of April - also visiting Adelaide and Brisbane to try and suss out where we like and, more importantly, where we'll be able to get work!
How did you find out info about Accountancy jobs? Did you approach agencies? Did you get the impression that there would be any prejudice against you on the basis you weren't Aussie qualified?
I'm a solicitor and have already applied to be admitted in WA. I was told that I would have to do 7 exams and be articled for a year! Not impressed as I've been qualified 13 years! I think that I may have to see if I get a job as a paralegal.....

Nicstids
Old Mar 1st 2003, 3:49 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

We are also just back today from Bangkok, after being in Oz.

Nicstids - we did go into one agency (in Sydney) and spoke to a person there - but as we expected there was little interest as we do not have the visa yet. Asked a few questions that had general replies and things that we knew to be untrue ('there are plenty of jobs around', 'you will get paid what you are worth', 'paid around the same as in the UK') on the whole it was a waste of time.

I will have to post more details on a seprate thread tomorrow, as a few hours plane sleep in the last 40hrs are taking their toll.

Old Mar 1st 2003, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

pamzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Reply from Pamzos other half:

Yes I approached a couple of agencies with regards to employment and salaries. I am 10 years qualified chartered accountant working in industry and I was told that my initial starting salary would be between $50-70k, quite a drop from here. I have also been advised to take 2 exams - law and tax which can be taken distance learning at a cost of approx $3500 - to help me be fully accepted in the Oz job market. It was suggested that it could take up to 6 months to get a decent permanet position but I should be able to get contract work pretty much immediately. We were also told Oct-Feb was not a good time to look for work either contracting or permanent.

I travelled Oz 12 years ago as a student and thought then that Perth was the best city to settle in should I return. Sydney and Melbourne would be a lot easier employment wise but I think Perth gives a better lifestyle.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by pamzo; Mar 1st 2003 at 4:07 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2003, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much both of you for that info.

Nicstids
Old Mar 2nd 2003, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by pamzo
Hi we're just back from a 3 week holiday to Perth and thought we'd share our opinion of the place.
Basically I thought Perth was a very attractive city, clean, lovely beaches, lots of parks and playgrounds. The people were very friendly and seemed very interested in us. There are loads of expats there and they were also very helpful. The other thing I liked was being able to eat in DECENT restaurants with the kids because you could sit outside on the terrace where it didn't matter if the kids were noisy - it beats beefeaters and McDonalds !
We were disappointed with the 4 bedroom villa we stayed in in Joondalup. When the kids were in bed we had to whisper and keep the telly low ! however at $220k including pool it was quite attractive. We looked at other houses in the northern suburbs and our general feel was that $350k was the minimum level for a large comfortable family home.
The other area of concern was that salaries are quite a bit lower and we were informed that it could take 6-8 months to attain permanent employment (in Accountancy) but contract work could be found in a day or so.
We saw very few beasties e.g. spiders, wasps, mosquitoes !
Basically after our visit we will migrate (we are about to undergo medicals stage) but with the normal nervousness of giving up a good standard of living in the UK for the relative unknown of OZ.
I'm really glad we went out as I think its good to get the general feel of a place. I only wish we could secure employment first !

Hope this is of interest.
It is always good to hear from people that have visited, keep the comments coming, we need cheering up!