Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just back from medicals

Just back from medicals

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 1:38 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just back from medicals

Everything went well but we have to have an extra blood test on me and hubby cos we both got tatoos.......mine is a minute little thing on my hip but still counts and that set us back another £60 on top of the original fee .I think we will be bankrupt before we get to NZ.
We are going back to pick up results next wk and also I have to get proof from our drs of mine and hubbys vacinations which wasnt mentioned on the form of things to take so I was a bit miffed about that,all it said to take was passports,photos and childrens red books(the ones they get as babies and you drag everywhere with you from drs to dentists)
Then as a requirement of entry to NZ the dr said we would all have to hav the Hep.b. vacination and me any hubby the Hep.c. aswell because of the tatoos and no doubt that will cost more money... feeling a bit stressed out really, theres always just one more thing to do!
Sky
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just back from medicals

Yep, it feels like right now all you do is pay out - but believe me, if you get the visa it's all worth it! I was almost having to pay out another £250 to check out my heart murmur, but luckily got it done on the NHS, and then the immigration dept didn't want to know about it anyway!

Don't stress - when you get that bit of paper which says "yes you're accepted, as long as you pay us another £200" you're past caring about the money!!
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 1:57 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! husband just rung me from work...........prob wanted to get a safe distance from me ........... he doesnt recall having his TB jab!... in fact after a bit of coaxing he is telling me he hasnt had it .Seems his mother who had 11 children didnt get round to filling in the consent form when he was at school.
I cant believe he has waited until now to tell me.
Sky
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by sky
OMG! husband just rung me from work...........prob wanted to get a safe distance from me ........... he doesnt recall having his TB jab!... in fact after a bit of coaxing he is telling me he hasnt had it .Seems his mother who had 11 children didnt get round to filling in the consent form when he was at school.
I cant believe he has waited until now to tell me.
Sky

Don't panic!! They don't even ask for your record of TB jab, so you should be OK, as long as they didn't find evidence on your X-ray.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:40 pm
sky
Banned

Thanks for your reply donnaS but I think I got a right stickler of a Dr today and if I cant provide evidence of vacinations then she going to write on the medical forms that they need doing.How long does a tb course take I cant even remember.
Sky
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:41 pm
sky
Banned

xrays were fine
Old Sep 4th 2003, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by sky
Thanks for your reply donnaS but I think I got a right stickler of a Dr today and if I cant provide evidence of vacinations then she going to write on the medical forms that they need doing.How long does a tb course take I cant even remember.
Sky
What a pain to have a doc like that. But on the form it stipulates the dates for 6 vaccinations, none of which are TB so I don't know where they'll write it - no doubt in the comments box.

I'm sure TB was one injection - I remember from schooldays, unless it's different if you're an adult.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by sky
Sky
What a pain to have a doc like that. But on the form it stipulates the dates for 6 vaccinations, none of which are TB so I don't know where
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:47 am
sky
Banned

Its ok donna Ive stopped panicking now, when I actually sat down and reread the medical form it doesnt even mention tb it was just the hubby that threw that one in and the other vacinations if you havent had done it just says to get done before you fly.
Just got to sell the house now
Sky
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:02 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

TB jab was that one that blistered on your shoulder and everyone punched. I still have the scars.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:08 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DonnaS
What a pain to have a doc like that. But on the form it stipulates the dates for 6 vaccinations, none of which are TB so I don't know where they'll write it - no doubt in the comments box.

I'm sure TB was one injection - I remember from schooldays, unless it's different if you're an adult.

TB is the jab that you have when your in approx 2nd Year of senior school. A "heaf" test was done first (6 little needles) and then depending on the result of that you either got chest xrays or the big one at the top of your arm.

Debbie
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:39 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

That doc sounds a bit overzealous. NZIS don't ask for evidence of the jabs but if you've got a jobsworth, what can you do? Mine originally said it was a requirement to do HIV test as well (at extra cost) and I had a hell of a job telling him it just wasn't required (yet!!! NZIS are sure to add the test in soon like DIMIA.)
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:01 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cresta57
TB is the jab that you have when your in approx 2nd Year of senior school. A "heaf" test was done first (6 little needles) and then depending on the result of that you either got chest xrays or the big one at the top of your arm.

Debbie
I was first to have mine done at my primary school (as my initial was B then) I screamed and yelled and came out clutching my arm and crying, everyone else in the queue started panicking and getting hysterical! Funny thing was though, it didn't even hurt
ah well