Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just Arrived in Sydney

Just Arrived in Sydney

Old Oct 7th 2007, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Oz-bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just Arrived in Sydney

Hi there! Just a very quick message to see if there are any similar peeps out there.......I have just arrived in Sydney ahead of hubby by 3 months and doing the rental search, TFN, Medicare, Bank Account and job-hunting things! Wondered if there was anyone out there crazy enough to be doing the same ?????!!!!!
Old Oct 7th 2007, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

nadine23 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just Arrived in Sydney

Originally Posted by Oz-bound
Hi there! Just a very quick message to see if there are any similar peeps out there.......I have just arrived in Sydney ahead of hubby by 3 months and doing the rental search, TFN, Medicare, Bank Account and job-hunting things! Wondered if there was anyone out there crazy enough to be doing the same ?????!!!!!
We are! Arrived in Sydney with my husband on Friday afternoon - it all feels totally wierd to me at the moment! I am struggling with applying for tax file numbers etc etc without an address!!! We are in temp accom for a week and trying to find somewhere to live now! Hope it is all going well for you :-)
Old Oct 7th 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Where in Sydney are you both? Not there yet...just curious
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

it's not quite as easy as all the prep and advice you pull together before getting here is it! Well, I got sorted for accommodation rental, or so I thought, and then the landlady messed me about so it all fell through, makes me even more cautious and suspicious now........just want somewhere to live and call home which I don't really think is too much to ask

I'm in central Sydney hotelling it at the moment, was looking for property on the coast but have given in to searching in the CBD as easier - can't get used to this "Open for Inspection" lark where you can only view property on a given day and set timeframe, obviously a a landlords market so we have to fit in :curse:!!!!!

Managed to get TFN lodged (with now null and void address!!!) and a bank account (they will set address as banks until you get your own) but Medicare was a no go without tons of paperwork, and the woman was v. rude.......have to go back to that one once sorted!!!

On the plus side put a feeler out for work and got a phone call 1 hour after sending CV to an agent, an interview the next day and now a 2nd interview......good news really but was hoping for a bit of a rest.

Where are you guys? Hows it all going for you?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Yeah the whole turning up within a 20 minute time period to view properties is strange isn't it! I am not used to it as they seem to chose you and not the other way around! On the plus side we have managed to rent somewhere for 6 months in Balmain which is lovely and where we wanted to be! Now we have an address I think I'll try for a tax file number and medicare - we have a bank account and they have been quite helpful so far without an address! Let me know how you get on, we could always meet up if you fancy - sounds like we are in the same position. Cheers Nadine
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

We arrive in Sydney on 9th Novemeber. Will watch this thread as I am sure we will be all over the place when we finally arrive
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Interviews already...sounds positive!

We are still in the UK but will be living near Liverpool when we go out ther next year
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nadine23
We are! Arrived in Sydney with my husband on Friday afternoon - it all feels totally wierd to me at the moment! I am struggling with applying for tax file numbers etc etc without an address!!! We are in temp accom for a week and trying to find somewhere to live now! Hope it is all going well for you :-)
Ozbound and Nadine23, where are you both located? There are regular Sydney meetups in the CBD every Thursday. I have been a couple of times. It is always good to meet new people.

Debs
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Hi, we are in Balmain but have seen the meet ups on Thursday and will definately come this week or next as it would be great to meet some new people - this would make such a difference - hard to explain until you are away from the UK. We wanted to get a place before we came to any of the meet ups so will def be there soon hopefully. Thx Nadine
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Just managed to secure an apartment in Sydney CBD so it's great to know I won't be homeless - move in on Saturday so can't wait to have my own space and not be interrupted by an over keen hotel maid

Would be good to meet up with some peeps, where and when do the Thursday meet-ups happen? Nadine, if you are up for meeting sometime then let me know - always good to share the good and the bad !?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nadine23
Hi, we are in Balmain but have seen the meet ups on Thursday and will definately come this week or next as it would be great to meet some new people - this would make such a difference - hard to explain until you are away from the UK. We wanted to get a place before we came to any of the meet ups so will def be there soon hopefully. Thx Nadine
Hi Nadine, and Oz-Bound, there's a couple of us who have also recently arrived and we've been meeting up for coffee during the day in Balmain for the last couple of weeks - if you fancy joining us let me know - same applies to any one else who fancies it (there's a thread in the meet-ups forum about it)

Last edited by suzimc; Oct 9th 2007 at 2:51 am.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point

I arrived in Sydney yesterday. Had accommodation set up already but doing the TFN etc just now.