Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just arrived - and location in Sydney

Just arrived - and location in Sydney

Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Helen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to all
Default Just arrived - and location in Sydney

Hello there. Well,we are here in Sydney. I am terrified! We arrived on Wednesday, and have started the crazy world of trying to rent with cats in Sydney. Really difficult - I just wanted to come home by Friday!
Anyway, hopefully something will come up.
I am however after some advice. The threads and locals we have spoken to all suggest St Ives, Pymble etc as areas. We have driven round and really dislike the houses. We did some inspections yesterday, and they are full of those 1950s red brick houses, which have not had a new kitchen or bathroom since they were built! We are partial to modern light houses. I was ready to pack my bags and head home! After driving around today, we found houses we liked the look of in Ryde, Hunters Hill, Marsfied and Wahroonga. Any thoughts on these areas? Thank you!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:49 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just arrived - and location in Sydney

Personally I agree... St Ives is deffo not where I'd want to be... Wahroonga is nice... Alternatively come over to the beaches...
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

I agree also (someone somewhere will be upset) but St Ives would be last on my list if I just arrived, even with a young family I can't go past Birchgrove for convenience.

Hunters Hill, very nice, seclusion within the city if that makes sense, easy ferry ride on the woolich/balmain to the city (about 35 mins/ longer if it's busy).

I think you are definitely going to have issues with your pets, 1) because apartments are almost definitely going to be off limits for pets (the strata., which loosely translated as a form of bizzare knesset democratic meeting between the residents and managing agent usually veto pets and take years to do anything), and you're not going to find most ameniable landlords/ladies with houses in the city to accept your pets.

I can tell you we had no problems allowing our tenants to have a pet in Adelaide, but the Estate agent advised us against it.

what's effectively happened over the last 18 months is that all the speculative "Investment" people , which loosely translates as those who cannot afford to (with current interest rates), have sold, or are in the process of selling their investment properties, which means that they have reduced the overall capacity in the market, add to that the influx of new immigrants, alot of whom are professional , wealthy and so forth, and you have demand outstripping supply.

Long leases are the norm here, and there is a benefit for you, if you sign a long lease, i.e. 12 month +, the landlord can only apply for 1 rent increase within that period, and it must be a median/average and it has to go to a rent review board, if you sign short leases, then the rent can come up for review at the expiry of each lease renewal, there have been plenty of chinese landords in a certain building in the CBD that wont sign more than a 3 month lease with their tenants, thus enabling them to increase the rent at each renewal.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I used to live in Marsfiled and it was really nice. not much life though apart from the pub/restaurant on Epping Road near woollies and the univeristy and Macquarie Shopping Centre but a safe nice area with lots of wild birds. And lots of cats around. The other places you mentioned are great too. I liked the houses in Epping. If you want anymore detailed help just PM me if you like. My dad lives near Eastwood so I know the areas pretty well.

Originally Posted by Helen-17
Hello there. Well,we are here in Sydney. I am terrified! We arrived on Wednesday, and have started the crazy world of trying to rent with cats in Sydney. Really difficult - I just wanted to come home by Friday!
Anyway, hopefully something will come up.
I am however after some advice. The threads and locals we have spoken to all suggest St Ives, Pymble etc as areas. We have driven round and really dislike the houses. We did some inspections yesterday, and they are full of those 1950s red brick houses, which have not had a new kitchen or bathroom since they were built! We are partial to modern light houses. I was ready to pack my bags and head home! After driving around today, we found houses we liked the look of in Ryde, Hunters Hill, Marsfied and Wahroonga. Any thoughts on these areas? Thank you!