Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just arrived last week in Sydney, need a bit of advice.

Just arrived last week in Sydney, need a bit of advice.

Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:01 am
Irish Member

floordekor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just arrived last week in Sydney, need a bit of advice.

Just arrived in sydney last week after spending 6 weeks in perth with some friends. Had a really great time there what with no house to organise etc.
Opened a bank account second day here with no bother at all in the westpac in perth, and got myself a pay as you go phone to help me get establised. Checked around and vodaphone seemed to be the best for pay as you go. Thought that i would have had a lot more bother with these two things after reading posts on this site before leaving, but it was really simple.
But now arrived in sydney and have to sort out everything, from a house to schooling for our seven year old. Was stressed out all weekend looking for a vehicle on the parramatta road, never seen so many cars vans trucks on the one road in all my life.
But got sorted out today with a little pajero, that means i can stop throwing money at car rentals, thats one thing sorted at least.
We also viewed some houses at the weekend and today, we looked in parramatta, ryde, epping, and castle hill. Didnt really find anything that suited us but we'll keep on looking. Wondered if anyone has any knowledge of epping, ryde, and ermington as places to live, and for schools etc. Or can anyone give some info about other suitable areas.
In the meanwhile we've been staying at hotels, so can anyone advise if there is anywhere to rent short term thats cheaper than staying at hotels.
We were told on friday that our container would be here today, so that has all gone according to plan. We were arranging our own insurance but the container left the day before we were taking the policy out at a cost of £1400, but were told it would be a problem insuring it as it had already left. We could have still taken the shippers insurance but it was £2000, so i decided to take my chances after chatting to the removal guys who packed our container. They said it was very uncommon to have breakages and they thought insurance was'nt really worth the cost, altough i would advise insurance for total loss. The only things they had ever heard of was small breakages, so i weighed it up and thought that if the breakages were less than £2000, i would be quids in.
So i'll find out in the next week or so if i have any damages, fingers crossed!!!
We got word that our 457 visa is ready for issue and we must leave the country to get them issued via email, and then re-enter
the country, more bloody expense!
Then we will have to leave again in Dec. / Jan to get our permanent residency 136 visas validated.
We hope to book flights to new zealand for the weekend or early next week for a couple of days, but if anyone has other options i'd be glad to hear them.
By the way i have'nt been posting on this site for a while because a while back when i was flat out organising all this there was quite a bit of negativity on this site, but i can honestly say that Australia so far has more than lived up to my expectations. But i came with the view that it wasn't going to be a bed of roses, and that i would have to be prepared to work at it. So i'll keep you posted over the coming weeks and months.
Oh, by the way in perth your rego on your vehicle allows you to drive with the most basic insurance cover, is it differnt here in NSW, if so anyone got a few numbers for insurance companies that are competative and will accept no claims bonus from the U.K.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

No advice to offer but thanks for the positive update. We'll also be looking for housing in the areas you mentioned come October so I'd be interested in your thoughts going forward.

Good luck with the house hunting.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:39 am
Banned

cdandi will become famous soon enoughcdandi will become famous soon enough

With regards to Epping, Ermington and Ryde.

Ermington is not very well accessed by public transport....only private busses and the schools leave much to be desired. Epping is a better area for schools and you might also like to consider Beecroft, Cheltenham and Eastwood along the same train line.

As far as housing is concerned you will get better value for money in these areas than say the Eastern Suburbs or the North Shore.

Good luck.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:40 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just arrived last week in Sydney, need a bit of advice.

Originally posted by floordekor
Just arrived in sydney last week after spending 6 weeks in perth with some friends. Had a really great time there what with no house to organise etc.
Opened a bank account second day here with no bother at all in the westpac in perth, and got myself a pay as you go phone to help me get establised. Checked around and vodaphone seemed to be the best for pay as you go. Thought that i would have had a lot more bother with these two things after reading posts on this site before leaving, but it was really simple.
But now arrived in sydney and have to sort out everything, from a house to schooling for our seven year old. Was stressed out all weekend looking for a vehicle on the parramatta road, never seen so many cars vans trucks on the one road in all my life.
But got sorted out today with a little pajero, that means i can stop throwing money at car rentals, thats one thing sorted at least.
We also viewed some houses at the weekend and today, we looked in parramatta, ryde, epping, and castle hill. Didnt really find anything that suited us but we'll keep on looking. Wondered if anyone has any knowledge of epping, ryde, and ermington as places to live, and for schools etc. Or can anyone give some info about other suitable areas.
In the meanwhile we've been staying at hotels, so can anyone advise if there is anywhere to rent short term thats cheaper than staying at hotels.
We were told on friday that our container would be here today, so that has all gone according to plan. We were arranging our own insurance but the container left the day before we were taking the policy out at a cost of £1400, but were told it would be a problem insuring it as it had already left. We could have still taken the shippers insurance but it was £2000, so i decided to take my chances after chatting to the removal guys who packed our container. They said it was very uncommon to have breakages and they thought insurance was'nt really worth the cost, altough i would advise insurance for total loss. The only things they had ever heard of was small breakages, so i weighed it up and thought that if the breakages were less than £2000, i would be quids in.
So i'll find out in the next week or so if i have any damages, fingers crossed!!!
We got word that our 457 visa is ready for issue and we must leave the country to get them issued via email, and then re-enter
the country, more bloody expense!
Then we will have to leave again in Dec. / Jan to get our permanent residency 136 visas validated.
We hope to book flights to new zealand for the weekend or early next week for a couple of days, but if anyone has other options i'd be glad to hear them.
By the way i have'nt been posting on this site for a while because a while back when i was flat out organising all this there was quite a bit of negativity on this site, but i can honestly say that Australia so far has more than lived up to my expectations. But i came with the view that it wasn't going to be a bed of roses, and that i would have to be prepared to work at it. So i'll keep you posted over the coming weeks and months.
Oh, by the way in perth your rego on your vehicle allows you to drive with the most basic insurance cover, is it differnt here in NSW, if so anyone got a few numbers for insurance companies that are competative and will accept no claims bonus from the U.K.

No advice here mate, we are headin to QLD. Very SOON !!!

However, took a look at your website, we also run flooring websites.

I will be doing this in OZ aswell, site is currently under construction.

Wanna swap tips hints links share ideas resources contacts gimme a shout, be good to converse with a fellow pom in same field !

Steve , www.fabfloor.co.uk
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:44 am
Irish Member

I'll keep you updated with the house situation.
We came over thinking that parramatta was an age away from the city, but really your about 25 mins in no traffic and about 45-50 mins peak time. I know i've sat in it nearly everyday this week on the parramatta road, nightmare! But not nearly as bad by as London's peak traffic.
I don't know why anyone hasn't mentioned areas like epping, ermington, ryde etc as the are all between 12 - 16 k from the CBD and are really pleasant looking areas. You can rent a number of houses in these areas at quite reasonable rates. Example 3 bedroom home in epping double garage, alarm, train station beside you etc. $290 per week! Worth checking out.
If anyone has any info on these areas please post.

Cheers!
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:52 am
Banned

cdandi will become famous soon enoughcdandi will become famous soon enough

You might also like to consider Denistone East and Carlingford. Used to have very affordable housing and Denistone East Primary School is very good!
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:57 am
Irish Member

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
No advice here mate, we are headin to QLD. Very SOON !!!

However, took a look at your website, we also run flooring websites.

I will be doing this in OZ aswell, site is currently under construction.

Wanna swap tips hints links share ideas resources contacts gimme a shout, be good to converse with a fellow pom in same field !

Steve , www.fabfloor.co.uk
Cheers Steve, sent you a PM. Chat to ya later!
Old Jun 28th 2004, 12:00 pm
Irish Member

Thanks for your replys, much apprieciated!!!
Old Jun 28th 2004, 12:06 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by floordekor
AAMI for car insurance, I swapped my UK bonus for a full lifetime protected bonus with them

http://www.aami.com.au/