Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just arrived - issues with (O2 unlocked) iphone!!

Just arrived - issues with (O2 unlocked) iphone!!

Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

AStyle will become famous soon enough
Default Just arrived - issues with (O2 unlocked) iphone!!

Has anyone who came here with their O2 iphone had issues using other sims? I requested the unlocking (from O2), got a text 2 days ago when in Aus.. and my new sim doesn't work .. plus my itunes doesn't recognise the phone anymore!!?? Help!

Is it just a case of not being properly unlocked and I should get it jailbroken?
Any ideas? Am I just doing something retarded? x
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Just arrived - issues with (O2 unlocked) iphone!!

I may be wrong but have a search on the forum - I don't think the iphone properly works over here if you have a UK one with an Aus sim. I just have that in mind when we arrived.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

My iphone was jailbroken and unlocked in the UK.
I had heard that it is near impossible to use a legitimately unlocked iphone from the UK due to what is regarded by some as the unfair cartel or monopoly exercised by the provider in the UK.
I had a few weeks to run on my contract and the iphone would have been mine. I didnt even try using O2 for assistance:-
I just went to a high street unlocker in the UK and now I use it in Oz.
I lost alot of apps (and all photos)....but not all of them.
Good luck!
HKA
x
Old Mar 12th 2010, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

CosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really nice

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
My iphone was jailbroken and unlocked in the UK.
I had heard that it is near impossible to use a legitimately unlocked iphone from the UK due to what is regarded by some as the unfair cartel or monopoly exercised by the provider in the UK.
I had a few weeks to run on my contract and the iphone would have been mine. I didnt even try using O2 for assistance:-
I just went to a high street unlocker in the UK and now I use it in Oz.
I lost alot of apps (and all photos)....but not all of them.
Good luck!
HKA
x
In what way dont they work? Did you take it to a man on the market stall? I've heard that you can take them into Apple stores and they unlock them (for a fee of course!).

Does it work ok in Oz?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

O2 offer a free unlock for all contract customers, and a £10 unlock for all payg customers.

Orange will unlock the iPhone for £20 after 3 months of use afaik.

I had my 3G unlocked by O2, and as soon as I got the text, I plugged it into iTunes, and it said it was unlocked. I could then use any sim in it.

If it's been unlocked officially, then it will work with any sim, in any country around the world. But just be aware that the warranty is only valid in the country of origin, so Apple won't fix it in Oz.

Be very wary of getting the iPhone unlocked on a stall or by any methods, other than the OFFICIAL way through O2/Orange/Apple, as all the people at the stalls do, is jailbreak and sn0w the phone to unlock it, which anyone can/could do at home (depending on software 3.1.3 is unlockable) with their PC, but as soon as Apple releases a software update, and you upgrade, you will lose the unlock.

As long as you get your iPhone unlocked the official way, you will not have any trouble, and it will work in Oz. You need to follow the correct procedure too, which is receive text > insert another networks sim > plug into iTunes and then it will be unlocked. Just receiving the text doesn't unlock it.

Last edited by xzibit; Mar 12th 2010 at 2:38 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

dont be one of the sheepel throw that thing in the bin and get something different!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

After you get the text you have to hook it up to iTunes to complete the unlock. In iTunes you should get a screen that specifically states "Congratulations your iPhone is Unlocked". After that I have been able to put any old sim into it and it works. May also have something to do with trying to unlock it from the UK while in Australia.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 2:59 am
Just Joined

AStyle will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your help.. after 3 days it seemed to sort itself out. I had checked with O2 100 times that it was ok to receive the unlocking text in Aus rather than UK and they said it was all good! (Oh and it's £15 if you're not on contract .. thankfully I did it whilst still on contract)

I've still got my orange contract phone (as they too messed up and didn't send the PAYG sim card in time - it's on it's way to Aus now) and that is also being useless... if anyone calls it they get messages saying the number is no longer available or try later.. they don't even get voicemail plus can't receive texts.

Considering I've been all over the world with the same orange sim/contract, can't understand what the deal is here.. Orange say it's not their issue, but the aussie networks.. despite it not mattering who I'm roaming with (tried them all).

1 week into living here.. I'm loving it but I do feel like it's a 3rd World country when it comes to technology somewhat! (Trying to get my head around home broadband is giving me a migraine )
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:19 am
Just Joined

prphoto is an unknown quantity at this point

We're moving over on the 26th April.

Where did you get the Australian SIMs and what cost?

Do they work ok with the Data as well for email and browsing?

I've searched the internet from the UK and can only find AUS Sims for standard phones not the iphone with data like UK Pay and go etc