Jury Service

Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

noidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant future
Default Jury Service

Just my bloody luck, I am waiting to be made redundant which could be at anytime in the next 6 months or as soon as next week, as soon as it comes through I am off to Aus for good, I have got my my stuff boxed up so I can be off at the drop of a hat.

I have just had a summons for jury service, can I get out of it, can I be made to go, if its a long case it could be weeks, can I be in trouble if I just up sticks and move half way through a case if I need to?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

LeeLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jury Service

Originally Posted by noidea
Just my bloody luck, I am waiting to be made redundant which could be at anytime in the next 6 months or as soon as next week, as soon as it comes through I am off to Aus for good, I have got my my stuff boxed up so I can be off at the drop of a hat.

I have just had a summons for jury service, can I get out of it, can I be made to go, if its a long case it could be weeks, can I be in trouble if I just up sticks and move half way through a case if I need to?
Normally with jury service it is illegal to not do it or not turn up.I know people who couldn't go on holiday because of it. Is there not a number you can ring and explain your circumstances?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

noidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant futurenoidea has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LeeLee
Normally with jury service it is illegal to not do it or not turn up.I know people who couldn't go on holiday because of it. Is there not a number you can ring and explain your circumstances?
Hi, there is a number which I will have to ring on monday.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 10:42 am
Account Closed

LeeLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by noidea
Hi, there is a number which I will have to ring on monday.
Good luck
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

When I did Jury service the call up was for 2 weeks. At one point I had the possibility of working on a longer trial, rather than the initial 24 jurors they called up 48 and each of us had to advise if their was any reason we could not stay for up to 8 weeks (they estimate how long each trial will take).

The examples they gave were work commitments, pre-booked holidays, care arrangements.

The majority of jurors do 2 weeks so I wouldn't worry to much about it being longer as they are the minority of cases (although they are the ones you always read about in the press)