Jury Service

Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:37 am
wombat42

Default Jury Service

l got a letter in the mail today calling me up for Jury service in Victoria, does anyone know the best way to get out of it?

Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:42 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Jury Service

Originally posted by wombat42
l got a letter in the mail today calling me up for Jury service in Victoria, does anyone know the best way to get out of it?
I take it your a Citizen ? If so it will be near impossible to get out of unless your Dr says your not fit for Jury Service.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:49 am
wombat42

Anyone done jury service, what was it like, what questions do they ask you when they select you in court?

Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:37 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

He/she is guilty, guilty i say, and thats before you hear any evidence. Racist remarks would work well too
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

easy - when you see the "crim" say that you know him. You can't serve on that jury if you know the person on trial

You need a damn good excuse to get out of jury duty if the system here is anything like the UK ( I've served on UK duty.. but haven't here.. I was the one out of two who said not guilty.. and would not change my mind.. hence keeping the rest of the jurors in longer , until they changed their minds.. because they wanted to go home - scary the way juries work - I'd hate to be on trial with some of these people who they pick for jury service ) You need either to be really ill, or if you're running a business prove that you can not take time out to do duty or it would really hurt you business ( this is hard to do)... or you're out of the country at that time.

Why do you want to get out of it.. you can meet some lovely people in the court houses
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:53 am
rudo1ph

I've always wandered what I would do if called up for duty.......

I've got small children at home and am a full time mummy........what would they expect me to do with my children if I was called?

Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by rudo1ph
I've always wandered what I would do if called up for duty.......

I've got small children at home and am a full time mummy........what would they expect me to do with my children if I was called?
you'd probably get out of it if they are dependent on you, and you can't leave them. If memory serves me correctly , you can also get out of it if you're over a certain age, like 65, retirement age.. you can refuse.

I've only ever served once, my hubby twice.. he actually got called up quite recently for a third time .. a letter to his old address back in the UK ( they didn't know he was not in Britain).. my mum .. who's 60 - once.. My gran was always getting called up. when she was alive . and she loved it.. she used to think she was some type of Miss marple ..lol ( loved nosing at things,,, and setting the world at rights)

My father has never been called up.. It's like the bl**din lottery.. some people get called up a few times, others never.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 16th 2004 at 4:17 am.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:07 am
rudo1ph

How do you de-register from the uk?!!!

Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:14 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by rudo1ph
How do you de-register from the uk?!!!
Have not got a clue .. We've been living away from the UK for 12 years now.. I just got up and went. As far as Britain is concerned they don't know I've gone... except for the tax office.. I wrote them a lovely letter ( poll tax I refused to pay it.) .. saying I was emigrating and can no longer be contacted at this address. Oh and banks .. I have accounts in the Uk that I'm not paying any tax on the interest for.. just fill out a form declaring you are not a tax resident.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:38 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

It should say on the letter you get how you can claim exemptions. Like someone else said though, just front up to selection and make some remarks about how crims need to be neutered and how much you miss the death penalty.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:46 am
wombat42

Originally posted by Ulujain
It should say on the letter you get how you can claim exemptions. Like someone else said though, just front up to selection and make some remarks about how crims need to be neutered and how much you miss the death penalty.
The only problem with that idea is that all the criminals relatives and criminal associates in the public gallery will hear me say that
and then beat the crap out of me soon as l leave the court house.

Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:48 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

The only problem with that idea is that all the criminals relatives and criminal associates in the public gallery will hear me say that
and then beat the crap out of me soon as l leave the court house.
Run fast.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Have a good, honest reason why you can't do it.

Well, you've obviously failed there.

I did JS some years back. They were pretty tough - you had to have a damn good reason to be excused.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 5:06 am
wombat42

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Have a good, honest reason why you can't do it.

Well, you've obviously failed there.

I did JS some years back. They were pretty tough - you had to have a damn good reason to be excused.
Looks like l will have to do it then.

Last edited by wombat42; Jul 16th 2004 at 5:20 am.

Old Jul 16th 2004, 5:23 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

My FIL got out of it 3 weeks ago, because he is self employed. The line he used...

"I am more of a benefit to the community working, than i am doing JS".

He's a bereavement councillor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.