Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

juror service qld

juror service qld

Old Aug 25th 2011, 11:39 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default juror service qld

any one else being "randomly" picked for juror service

both myself and debra have been "radomly" picked in the last week? dosnt seem too random to me at the moment

so did you get out of it and if so how?

for me ive gone with
i`m self employed which means no work no pay and hopefully it`ll end there

it would appear normaly that your employer has to cop the cost? how does that work? can the losses be claimed back somehow, small business`s carnt afford to loose staff and pay for it too?

anyone else been through this??

regards steve
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: juror service qld

Originally Posted by steve`o
any one else being "randomly" picked for juror service

both myself and debra have been "radomly" picked in the last week? dosnt seem too random to me at the moment

so did you get out of it and if so how?

for me ive gone with
i`m self employed which means no work no pay and hopefully it`ll end there

it would appear normaly that your employer has to cop the cost? how does that work? can the losses be claimed back somehow, small business`s carnt afford to loose staff and pay for it too?

anyone else been through this??

regards steve
Steve,
I have "randomly" been called up twice - both times I was studying so I managed to get a letter from the uni who said it was not possible for me to attend. There should be a number you can call on the notice - give them a call and see what they say about it, thell them nobody else can carry out the works and you have contracts in place etc with other workplaces.

Good luck.
Deb
Old Aug 26th 2011, 2:04 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Its been said before that trail by jury is:

"Having your fate decided by 12 people not smart enough to get out of jury duty".

Good luck. Not sure what I'd do if I got the call up, I've been in the clear for over 10 years though so far!
Old Aug 26th 2011, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Self employed you write in explain cant sustain loss of income and your out, employed, employer does letter they cant do without you. Ditto parents, your kids cant do without you...

I did jury service after many call ups and thought finally I better do it.

About 80 jurors turn up, watch DVD then wait.... Finally we drag along to the court, and they call up about 30, many are rejected, and of them the jury is picked. The other 67 people go home, jury service over. Even if like me you get in, of the 10 days we only got needed twice, you phone up every night.

Most random thing of all, how the jurors can watch/listen to the same evidence and ( accused quite clearly captured on CCTV ) but come to totally different conclusions. One older lady thought he was sweet, and credible after he was caught telling 3 blatant lies One very strange juror wouldnt look or read any evidence, one woman was totally against the police in general and anyone would have been innocent. So our fella got off.

Another disturbing aspect was the complainant was obviously called as a witness, his character and past criminal history dragged up and personality/life discredited, but the accused was advised not to speak, so he couldnt be cross examined nor his past history mentioned,

Interesting. But I came away feeling many guilty people must walk away, despite some very obvious evidence, because the jurors moods, opinions, personality, past experiences colour their judgement more than the evidence!!

Would love to do it again. But have to admit it was pretty disturbing, I was waking up thinking about it for weeks and it wasnt a huge case.

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 26th 2011 at 2:39 am.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

For someone who has always skipped it that was an interesting insight Jad, thank you.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:19 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to do it, think it would be really interesting (or could be, anyway) but as a copper I don't get to do it.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:45 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
I'd like to do it, think it would be really interesting (or could be, anyway) but as a copper I don't get to do it.
whys that?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 10:45 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
whys that?
As coppers I'm pretty sure we aren't eligible for jury service. Presumably we'd be seen as being biased towards the prosecution?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few occupations that are exempt in Australia that aren't in the Uk. Was a lawyer in the uk but not exempt (was years ago). When I got called I thought it was my duty and enjoyed(!!) being on the other side. If I practiced here i wouldn't be able to do it. Got called recently but had a death in the family so postPoned. Will do it if called again
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:41 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

My dad escaped jury service in the UK and I assume this will work any where in the world by explaining that he hates the police doesn't trust them thjinks they always fit people up and as such couldn't see any possible way he would ever find any body guilty.

He had a lovely letter explaining that his services wouldn't be required.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:48 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
My dad escaped jury service in the UK and I assume this will work any where in the world by explaining that he hates the police doesn't trust them thjinks they always fit people up and as such couldn't see any possible way he would ever find any body guilty.

He had a lovely letter explaining that his services wouldn't be required.