Junior Football

Old Feb 13th 2005, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough
Default Junior Football

Hi all,
I`m Glen the middle son of the Fitchett Family aged 15.
Over here in the UK i play Sunday football for a local under 16 team, is there such leagues ove in the geelong area. Are the kids into " soccer " or is it more Aussie rules and rugby.
Thanks
Glen
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

ajax4779 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Junior Football

Originally Posted by FITCHETT FAMILY
Hi all,
Over here in the UK i play Sunday football for a local under 16 team, is there such leagues ove in the geelong area. Are the kids into " soccer " or is it more Aussie rules and rugby.
Thanks
Glen
Hi Glen.
I am afraid i am no expert when it comes to sporting activites but i do know that Aussies are football mad, usualy Australian rules though. You will find plenty of local teams and also after school sporting actvities, football being the main one. You will soon get to learn and love Aussie rules football.
Geelong almost comes to a standstill when Geelong [The Cats] are playing at home. As a matter of fact if you have a love of sport you are definatly heading to the right country.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ajax4779
Hi Glen.
I am afraid i am no expert when it comes to sporting activites but i do know that Aussies are football mad, usualy Australian rules though. You will find plenty of local teams and also after school sporting actvities, football being the main one. You will soon get to learn and love Aussie rules football.
Geelong almost comes to a standstill when Geelong [The Cats] are playing at home. As a matter of fact if you have a love of sport you are definatly heading to the right country.
Thankyou for your reply,
i dont know much about aussie rules apart from it looks rough, i do love sport my interest are football, fishing, golf and man united. Do you get to see english football on tele? cheers glen
Old Feb 13th 2005, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Thankyou for your reply,
i dont know much about aussie rules apart from it looks rough, i do love sport my interest are football, fishing, golf and man united. Do you get to see english football on tele? cheers glen
hiya glen

there is plenty of sport on the TV at the weekend, whatever is in season tends to be shown. We have had lots of tennis lately as the hoffman cup has been played here recently. This weekend seems to have been nothing but cricket and SBS have a round-up show of world soccer (called the World Game, or something like that)....the channel is affectionately called Soccer Bloody Soccer by the aussies!! Although I think they've just lost the rights to the premiership games to Foxtel (which is our satellite channels).

You should have no problems finding a local soccer team wherever you are moving to. We have just signed our 5 year old up with a local junior team. he starts in March sometime.

love sophia xx
Old Feb 13th 2005, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Helium Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou for your reply,
I saw loads of English Footie on my recent stay.

The Fox network seem to show all the live Sky matches, although it mean't tuning in at 6am in the morning to see it.

I remember watching the Man Utd v Spurs game and waking everyone up when the goal that should have been for Spurs wasn't......If you get my drift.

English Prem League seems to get good coverage so at least you can keep up with things.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Think i can give you an answer yo might like the sound of:

1. Football (or as you'll regretably have to call it, soccer) is the No 1 particpation sport in australia. They run teams from u6 right through to the 35+ leagues. The season starts in March and runs through the winter. what you'll need to do is look up your state football (or soccer!) association, and fire them off an e-mail. I was looking for a team for my youngest boy, and the NSW/Sydney association came back with a list of local leagues and teams to choose from.

2. SBS no longer have the rights to the premier league. You'll need to get cable telly (about $50 per month). Fox show 3 live games back to back every Saturday night/Sunday Morning. They also show the UK Sunday game, and Monday night football + any other big league and International games played midweek. In our summer the games start at around 11:30pm each Saturday. In the winter they'll start at 9:30pm. They tend to repeat the best of the games on Sunday afternoons in full, and have a 1 hour highlights show each Monday at 7.30pm.

3. UEFA champions league + FA Cup + Serie A and Spanish league are shown on ESPN. This'll cost you an upgrade to your basic cable service, though I'd say in all probability when you move here United won't be troubling the Euro competitions any more so you might as well save your money.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:56 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Glen

You will have no problems finding a football team as there seems to be many. Football seems to be the most popular sport for kids around your age they tend to move onto aussie rules and rugby later guess there is no money in the game over here.

You will have to get used to watching or listening to games at very strange hours of the day if you follow anything other than a premier league team. My team (Forest) play PNE (noticed your from Preston) this Wednesday so I will be up Thursday morning at 05.45am tuning into radio Nottingham on the net to get the commentary......oh what we do for our football teams.

all the best

TT

Hi all,
Thanks
Glen
Old Feb 14th 2005, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sophia
hiya glen

there is plenty of sport on the TV at the weekend, whatever is in season tends to be shown. We have had lots of tennis lately as the hoffman cup has been played here recently. This weekend seems to have been nothing but cricket and SBS have a round-up show of world soccer (called the World Game, or something like that)....the channel is affectionately called Soccer Bloody Soccer by the aussies!! Although I think they've just lost the rights to the premiership games to Foxtel (which is our satellite channels).

You should have no problems finding a local soccer team wherever you are moving to. We have just signed our 5 year old up with a local junior team. he starts in March sometime.

love sophia xx
Hiya sophia thanks very much for your advice, i hope that playing football in aussie will be one of the key's to making new friends cheers
love Glen xxx
Old Feb 14th 2005, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Helium Kid
I saw loads of English Footie on my recent stay.

The Fox network seem to show all the live Sky matches, although it mean't tuning in at 6am in the morning to see it.

I remember watching the Man Utd v Spurs game and waking everyone up when the goal that should have been for Spurs wasn't......If you get my drift.

English Prem League seems to get good coverage so at least you can keep up with things.
hi hahaha iam a real big man untd fan and i can udastand your furustration with the goal that never was thanks for your advice
Cheers Glen
Old Feb 14th 2005, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RichS
Think i can give you an answer yo might like the sound of:

1. Football (or as you'll regretably have to call it, soccer) is the No 1 particpation sport in australia. They run teams from u6 right through to the 35+ leagues. The season starts in March and runs through the winter. what you'll need to do is look up your state football (or soccer!) association, and fire them off an e-mail. I was looking for a team for my youngest boy, and the NSW/Sydney association came back with a list of local leagues and teams to choose from.

2. SBS no longer have the rights to the premier league. You'll need to get cable telly (about $50 per month). Fox show 3 live games back to back every Saturday night/Sunday Morning. They also show the UK Sunday game, and Monday night football + any other big league and International games played midweek. In our summer the games start at around 11:30pm each Saturday. In the winter they'll start at 9:30pm. They tend to repeat the best of the games on Sunday afternoons in full, and have a 1 hour highlights show each Monday at 7.30pm.

3. UEFA champions league + FA Cup + Serie A and Spanish league are shown on ESPN. This'll cost you an upgrade to your basic cable service, though I'd say in all probability when you move here United won't be troubling the Euro competitions any more so you might as well save your money.
hi your information is a sigh of relief for me because i eally enjoy playingfootball and dont really want to give it up thanks very much
Glen
Old Feb 14th 2005, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Hi Glen

You will have no problems finding a football team as there seems to be many. Football seems to be the most popular sport for kids around your age they tend to move onto aussie rules and rugby later guess there is no money in the game over here.

You will have to get used to watching or listening to games at very strange hours of the day if you follow anything other than a premier league team. My team (Forest) play PNE (noticed your from Preston) this Wednesday so I will be up Thursday morning at 05.45am tuning into radio Nottingham on the net to get the commentary......oh what we do for our football teams.

all the best

TT

Thanks for your advice and iam really hopin preston beat notts forest lol cheers Glen