Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jumping the gun?

Jumping the gun?

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Fuzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jumping the gun?

Sorry to be a sour puss, but some people seem to be rather optimastic with their application. By this i mean putting the house on the market, quitting their jobs, handing their notice in etc, before they even have a positve result.
Myself and my family are waiting for Adelaide to give us the go ahead for our medicals, but i wouldn't dream of making such big commitments. I'm a big "what if" person and couldn't live with myself if my application fell through and had already left my job or sold the house (i'm actually renting at the moment).
Like i said, sorry to be a sour puss, but i won't believe it until i'm actually granted my visa.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jumping the gun?

Originally posted by Fuzzy
Sorry to be a sour puss, but some people seem to be rather optimastic with their application. By this i mean putting the house on the market, quitting their jobs, handing their notice in etc, before they even have a positve result.
Myself and my family are waiting for Adelaide to give us the go ahead for our medicals, but i wouldn't dream of making such big commitments. I'm a big "what if" person and couldn't live with myself if my application fell through and had already left my job or sold the house (i'm actually renting at the moment).
Like i said, sorry to be a sour puss, but i won't believe it until i'm actually granted my visa.
Hi Fuzzy
we for one will be another couple to be optimistic and put our bungalow on the market before our visa is granted, at the moment we are only at the early stages (still waiting for the TRA assessment). As long as that is positive we will get christmas over and done with and put the bungalow on the market in February/March of next year. Some people may say this is daft but it will be our decision for the following reasons:

* a property can take a while to sell/go through to completion
* we will need the equity to lodge the bond
* IF we fail to be lucky enough to be granted a visa then we would sell anyway!

All my colleagues/bosses know that i am in the process of applying for a visa and i have been told that i only need to work a weeks notice so i have been very upfront from the beginning, my other half is self employed so needs only to please himself!
i can understand that you are a what if person but not everyone shares your view
with regards
rach

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Recently more of us have been inclined to sell up before getting the final decision as selling your house seems to be the most difficult part of the visa process!

If you have had your skills assessed, know you are all healthy and haven't lied on your form it is almost certain you will get your visa so most people plan ahead a bit. However, I didn't put my house on the market until ours was issued, I just felt a bit wary about how long it would take.

If you wait to sell your house you could be left here for a lot longer than you want to, after your visa is issued.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point

Fuzzy,

I did not give up my job but was laid off which then made me look round and realize that I could do what I have wanted to do for years.... so now we are waiting for the postman.

Ken.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 5:12 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Fuzzy
We're selling up regardless of the visa outcome, if we get the visas all well and good if we don't then we're still going to stay with my folks for a year in Queensland then we'll sail their boat back from Aust. with them taking a couple of years to do it. That was the original plan but things change all the time and we found ourselves filling in the visa forms
Sean
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just sold my house and am about to move into rented in the next couple of weeks and i don't even send off my application till Jan 04! but what the hell if it fails i wouldn't stay in the area i live now any way.

ellen1
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

We are waiting for our medicals to be requested, we applied in April.

Our bungalow has been on the market for 3 months, 1 offer that fell through after 6 weeks.

We are moving in with my parents if and when we do sell.

We don't want to get held up if we get accepted.

Moving is what we are going to do whether its Australia or anywhere else, and also living with parents will enable us to save a few more pennies.

Good luck to you all

Cheers

Karen
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 6:01 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Fuzzy

some people are indeed more optimistic than others. Whether they are too optimistic remains to be seen. Chances are most will be OK, but a small number will strike it unlucky.

People also may have many different personal circumstances which may in some cases allow for what seems like a more gungho approach- eg. many want to quit the UK housing market while they are ahead, while others (myself included) are comfortable getting work extended on a week by week basis if need be. Some visa applications are more straightforward than others too, maybe some of those cutting the strings early are on prioritised lists, or not even the general skills category that most are doing.

So, it boils down to personal choice. As long as people have as much information as possible, and understand the risks and what backup plans are possible, then taking calculated gambles is just as valid as sitting waiting for 100% certainty on everything.

Optimism is an important trait for an immigrant to have, what with moving to a completely new country, so trying to turn optimism on and off in different situations can be hard.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 6:08 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

PS for anyone who works in Project management, moving overseas is a classic case study. Getting the scheduling right and understanding what is on the critical path is crucial, as well as having contingency plans if things go wrong.

Many of those marketing their houses before getting their visas are just trying to make sure that when the visa does arrive, they can then move to Oz or NZ as soon as possible.

Sorry to bore you all with this mumbo jumbo. But essentially the reason some people take a more agressive approach is in order to get to the finish line quicker.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 6:37 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

How i wish we hadn't been so cautious, Visa's on its way and no house sale. I'm gutted that in November its been 2 years since submitting the TRA and looks like another winter in Blighty aproaches Each to their own, do whatever feels right for yourself
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fuzzy

We are waiting until we know for sure, so much going on at the moment, we need to keep things as stable as poss.

Application went in May 2003 so we have some time to wait.

footie chick
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:09 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi there,
I think most people want to get the ball rolling early on and putting your house up for sale is that start!!!
8 years ago I applied for permanent residence - I had submitted all the paperwork at, as yoyu all know, great expense! My visa was about to be granted but I had to withdraw the application because I couldnt sell the house. my whole move was being funded by the house sale, and the house had already been up for sale for 14 months. it then took another 2 1/2 years to sell ...... nothing wrong with the house, it was just in the wrong place at the wrong time! (small ex steelworks village) as the steelworks shut everyone left. I eventually got less than I paid for it. it has now just sold for three times what my buyer paid for it from me.
the moral of this story? SELL YOUR HOUSE FIRST!!!!!!!!!

sue
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 10:43 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

We applied in October 2001 and decided to wait until the request for our Bond money arrived before putting the house on the market.

Bond request arrived end of March, visa's approximately 2 weeks later. Received and accepted an offer on the house 1st August and are hoping to exchange next week.

Funny thing is that we had contingency plans in place so that we could rent if we needed until the children had finished the school year!

Waiting for the house to sell has been infinitely more stressfull than waiting for the visa. As has already been said, if you pass the tra and know you have enough points and are healthy you're in with a good chance.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 12:21 am
owieb

Originally posted by Paul and Steph
As has already been said, if you pass the tra and know you have enough points and are healthy you're in with a good chance.
But DIMA do love to move the pass mark and remove items from the MODL. You can very quickly loose the points you thought you had!

I moved without selling the house, rented it out for six months when the market was quiet and then put it back up for sale when the market was looking better. It meant I came out here with a small amount of money, but I'd rather be here than in England!

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

We sold our house to before our visa was granted , but had decided we wanted to move regardless of the outcome and if it wasnt australia it would be countless other places. We did get the visa and so we were able to move literally as soon as we recieved them , we where in rented so just had to hand the notice in , so all in all it worked well for us. Actually we are glad we sold our house when we did , as the lady who bought it has just spent nearly 2 yrs trying to resell it !!!!
Joanne