Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

JTL Property Ratings v0.1 spreadsheet

JTL Property Ratings v0.1 spreadsheet

Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default JTL Property Ratings v0.1 spreadsheet

Yesterday was JackTheLad's last day working before we depart for Brissy, woohoo...

Today he started working for/with me...

Our first no-pay job together - spent a couple of hours bouncing ideas off each other on what to look out for when we are inspecting properties to rent or to buy in Brisbane. We've just put together a version 0.1 spreadsheet listing and grouping Check List Items in a logical order (oh, our logic, not yours!) with a weight attached to each item. We're planning on printing out this spreadsheet for each property we'll be viewing, and filling in the points for each item to compare against other properties. You're welcome to use it if you like.

If you download and open the attached MS Excel worksheet, you might find that some items which are important to us might not be so important to you, or vice versa. For example, we don't have any children (but might in the future who knows?! :scared: :scared: ), so schools and parks are not weighed as heavily as they might be for you. Also I love gardening and JTL's a very keen swimmer, so we've got front and back gardens, and swimming pools listed separately with medium weights. Items which are important and cannot be changed easily are given a maximum weight of 50, and items which are less important and can be altered/added are given a lower weight of 5 or 10 points.

When you use the spreadsheet, DON'T modify the greyed out boxes as they are calculated automatically for you once you enter the points for all the items. You can change numbers on the "Max Pts" and "Points" columns and modify descriptions under the "Check List Items" column as you wish. The maximum total (calculated automatically) doesn't have to be 2000 - it was just the way we've allocated the points.

As I said this spreadsheet is in a preliminary stage. If you see anything missing, or have any suggestions to improve it, could you kindly let us know? We'll continue to make changes and will post a more updated version here when it's available.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

P.S. Document's been updated (July 30th), version 0.2 now, still looking for improvement...
Attached Files
File Type: zip

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jul 30th 2004 at 8:48 am.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:38 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

I'm getting, 'The compressed (zipped) file is corrupt or invalid'.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Just checked it was fine when I downloaded and unziped it with WinZip 7.0. What version are you on?
Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:43 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

ah the problem there is you typed adelaide in to it
-sorry couldnt resist
Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I opened it fine

Will be handy for when we look for a place. Thanks!!

Hels
Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:47 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: JTL Property Ratings v0.1 spreadsheet

Originally posted by JackTheLad
Yesterday was JackTheLad's last day working before we depart for Brissy, woohoo...

Today he started working for/with me...

Our first no-pay job together - spent a couple of hours bouncing ideas off each other on what to look out for when we are inspecting properties to rent or to buy in Brisbane. We've just put together a version 0.1 spreadsheet listing and grouping Check List Items in a logical order (oh, our logic, not yours!) with a weight attached to each item. We're planning on printing out this spreadsheet for each property we'll be viewing, and filling in the points for each item to compare against other properties. You're welcome to use it if you like.

If you download and open the attached MS Excel worksheet, you might find that some items which are important to us might not be so important to you, or vice versa. For example, we don't have any children (but might in the future who knows?! :scared: :scared: ), so schools and parks are not weighed as heavily as they might be for you. Also I love gardening and JTL's a very keen swimmer, so we've got front and back gardens, and swimming pools listed separately with medium weights. Items which are important and cannot be changed easily are given a maximum weight of 50, and items which are less important and can be altered/added are given a lower weight of 5 or 10 points.

When you use the spreadsheet, DON'T modify the greyed out boxes as they are calculated automatically for you once you enter the points for all the items. You can change numbers on the "Max Pts" and "Points" columns and modify descriptions under the "Check List Items" column as you wish. The maximum total (calculated automatically) doesn't have to be 2000 - it was just the way we've allocated the points.

As I said this spreadsheet is in a preliminary stage. If you see anything missing, or have any suggestions to improve it, could you kindly let us know? We'll continue to make changes and will post a more updated version here when it's available.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

Wow.....far too much time on your hands. What happened to just saying, "Yes, I like this one!"

Me thinks you need a hobby.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What happened to just saying, "Yes, I like this one!"

'Decide in haste, repent at leisure'

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:58 pm
I Know What's Going On!

'Decide in haste, repent at leisure'

Cheers,
JTL
"Waste too much time time filling in forms, property gone"
Old Jul 30th 2004, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"Waste too much time time filling in forms, property gone"

Thats true too!

But we think its better to have a check list of what to look for when looking at a place. Its very easy to be bowled over by the swimming pool/games room/bar/huge car ports and not notice the sewage plant next door:scared:

I'm not saying we are going to follow the points system and weightings religiously, but even carrying around that spreadsheet when viewing properties, and filling in numbers will keep the estate agents on their toes, don't you think?

Its not like we are going to be spending days filling in these forms for each property, it will be a half hour review after seeing the property. If we love it, then we can make an offer 1 hour after seeing it!

We hope its a useful checklist for others, and would like to hear if others have different things to look for, 'specially those already in Oz.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 30th 2004, 12:14 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

We hope its a useful checklist for others, and would like to hear if others have different things to look for, 'specially those already in Oz.

Cheers,
JTL

You may wish to consider storage space, namely "where do I kepp the vacuum/ironing board/towels etc.".

My large(ish) 4x2.5 with DLUG and IG pool has but one cupboard to put all this stuff in.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 6:25 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers JTL

We'll hopefully be getting buyers into our UK house soon - obviously we will show them the form proving that the house is a 2000 pointer!!! LOL
Old Jul 30th 2004, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by jayr
You may wish to consider storage space, namely "where do I kepp the vacuum/ironing board/towels etc.".

My large(ish) 4x2.5 with DLUG and IG pool has but one cupboard to put all this stuff in.
Thanks for that, jayr. Storage space - what was I thinking? I'm not putting clothes and shoes in the DLUG...

Just updated the doc (v0.2) and it's uploaded to replace v0.1.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL