Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Joondalup/Currambine?

Joondalup/Currambine?

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all
Default Joondalup/Currambine?

We are heading over to Perth in September and just have no idea where to start looking for a place to live. We want somewhere not too far a commute from the CBD, preferable within walking distance of a train station, and Joondalup seems to be nice.

We have two children and would like somewhere not too quite (i.e. some shops, cinema, cafes etc), with decent schools and fairly near a beach. We will be looking at primary schools/pre-schools and will need a secondary school in a year or two as well.

We were thinking maybe Currambine, somwhere like that. Does anybody live near Joondalup there and if so could you offer any opinions on the place? Thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Joondalup/Currambine?

We live in Woodvale which is about 15 minute drive from Joondalup. We have:

3 lots of shops within easy access. 2 smaller sets with garage, bottle shops and supermarket - these are at either end of Woodvale. Then there is Whitfords City Shopping Centre around a 10 minute drive away or as you probably know Lakeside at Joondalup.

2 great primary schools. Although my son is too young my niece goes to Woodvale Primary and it does have a good reputation.

10 minutes from the beach and within walking distance of many parks, tennis club, high school and 5 minutes from Craige leisure Centre.

There is also Whitfords train station which is around 20 minutes into the city. I drive there and it takes around 3-4 minutes depending on the lights or I can walk in 15.

Don't know much about Joondalup but it pretty much has exactly what I have just said above.

Again, don't know much about Currambine except it has a great butchers and is getting a Dam Murphy's!

What kind of house are you looking for?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

You are looking at around a 30 minute commute from Joondalup I reckon on the train. You will probably get a seat into the city but will stand most of the way back!
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
You are looking at around a 30 minute commute from Joondalup I reckon on the train. You will probably get a seat into the city but will stand most of the way back!
If you get on the train to Joondalup at Esplanade you will have your choice of seats .
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

When we first arrived we lived in a furnished rental in Joondalup. Then in an unfurnihsed rental in Tapping for over two year. Now in our own house in Iluka.

Husband has always taken the train from Currambine into the city for work. Easy peasy.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
If you get on the train to Joondalup at Esplanade you will have your choice of seats .

Not always!
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

When we first arrived we lived in a furnished rental in Joondalup. Then in an unfurnihsed rental in Tapping for over two year. Now in our own house in Iluka.

Husband has always taken the train from Currambine into the city for work. Easy peasy.
Out of curiosity (as my husband will be getting the train from there too) can you get parked OK at Currambine, or will I have to drop him off).

(Sorry for the hijack, OP. And agree about the great butcher!)
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 8:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hey ozhappy981, is your terrestrial TV, the one that comes into your house via the cable working? since the power cut a couple of days ago ours isn't working...
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Out of curiosity (as my husband will be getting the train from there too) can you get parked OK at Currambine, or will I have to drop him off).
I normally drop him off because I then travel a different way to my place of work (need to go there by car).

But for a few weeks I had to go with him into the city once a week on a course. We used to catch the 7.54am train - and had no problem parking, plenty of spaces.

But I once tried to go into the city at 10am and could find no place to park. So, it'll depend on which time he goes to work whether he can park there.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
Hey ozhappy981, is your terrestrial TV, the one that comes into your house via the cable working? since the power cut a couple of days ago ours isn't working...
Yep, we've got TV and internet visa e-Wire. It's all working okay. After the powercut we just switched it back on and it has been fine.

I take it you have checked the box in the garage (or wherever yours is) and it's all switched on?

(I couldn't believe that the powercut lasted from 7.05am to 9.28pm!!!! We phoned them when we got home from work in the evening and they said a contractor had cut through the cable, duh!)
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 10:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we've got TV and internet visa e-Wire. It's all working okay. After the powercut we just switched it back on and it has been fine.

I take it you have checked the box in the garage (or wherever yours is) and it's all switched on?

(I couldn't believe that the powercut lasted from 7.05am to 9.28pm!!!! We phoned them when we got home from work in the evening and they said a contractor had cut through the cable, duh!)
Remember to claim your $80 compo from the western power web site...
Old Jul 4th 2010, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies, will have to have a good look around. Hubby went to Currambine on the train this morning but said it was very, very quiet - most probably because it's a Sunday though.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

sallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura about

Hi

I've not been on this forum for a very long time, but there's nothing on the TV so thought I'd have a quick look and came across your post and thought I'd reply!

We've lived in Currambine for over 4 years now - we are within walking distance to the train station as my husband works in the city and my son goes to college in the city. It has a primary school which my daughter goes to, she is VERY happy there but I must say I'm not sure how it would compare to other primary schools... their communication is terrible and they focus mainly on the children having fun - I know this is very important but there has to be some work going on as well!! As I say, I don't know how they compare to other primary schools in the area, they might all be the same! Currambine has some shops, a cinema and restaurants but they're not within walking distance of where we live, but Joondalup has all of those things and if we didn't want to drive we'd just get the train - it's about a 2 minute train journey and the trains are very regular. We're about a 5ish minute drive from the nearest beach, but this isn't great for kids because it's quite rocky, we usually go either 10 minutes north of south to get better beaches.

Parking is becoming a problem at Currambine station, especially later on in the mornings. It is a 30 minute train journey into Perth. My husband gets the train at around 7.15am and has a seat all the way there, but as someone else said you usually have to stand some of the way coming back.

We did think about moving recently but we've decided to stay because being able to walk to the train station is what we need at the moment, and it's so handy for getting on and off the freeway (it ends at Currambine now), and it's only a short drive into Joondalup. I would definitely recommend it, but I know there are many other suburbs around that are good and handy for the station, shops etc.

Hope that's been helpful. If there's anything else you need to know just ask.

Gosh, that was a lengthy reply, sorry!!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:50 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
Thanks for the replies, will have to have a good look around. Hubby went to Currambine on the train this morning but said it was very, very quiet - most probably because it's a Sunday though.
Just remember that the area north of Hillaries and above is about 80% Brit. Fine if thats what you are looking for but if you came to Australia to get away from it, I'd urge you to think again.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

sallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura about

This is true, there are a lot of Brits in the area. Not sure if it would be 80% in Currambine, most of my neighbours are Australian/Greek/Italian. I personally don't have a problem living in a place where there are lots of British people, I know some people do though, not quite sure why, maybe they've had bad experiences with them... I've met people from far worse places!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.