Wikiposts

joondaloop

Old Mar 14th 2005, 1:24 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default joondaloop

Hi guys, where do you prefer joondaloop or fremantle! and on a budget. ideally would like to be near coast and city and will be renting, and possibly warwick, got 2 teenage girls and a little one of 4.

Thanks dawn, all you advice has been invaluble, thank you x

Last edited by Dawn; Mar 14th 2005 at 1:40 am.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice
Default Re: joondaloop

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi guys, where do you prefer joondaloop or fremantle! and on a budget. ideally would like to be near coast and city and will be renting, and possibly warwick, got 2 teenage girls and a little one of 4.

OMG FREMANTLE without a doubt!!!

I haven't spent enough time in joondaloop to form a "proper" opinion on the place, but have visited a couple of times and wasn't too impressed.... and the infamous PB (controversial old poster) didn't like it very much either when he lived there!

Fremantle would probably be a bit more expensive than joondaloop as it's nearer to EVERYTHING but your teenage daughters would probably think it's more happening than joondaloop.

We want to move up closer to freo in the (hopefully) not too distant future as I do my yoga teacher training up there so spend 5 days a week there. Beautiful, hippy place!!

love sophia xxx
Old Mar 14th 2005, 2:51 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: joondaloop

thanks for that sopie...that the problem...not alot of money! what are the suburbs like there and the Beachs also is it easy enough to get to Perth city that would make my daughters happy.

Thanks
Dawn x
Old Mar 14th 2005, 4:23 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

When I was there it was called Joondalup

Freo is best imho, otherwise anywhere along the Stirling Highway going to North Freo and towards Perth, via Nedlands etc. It has great bus/rail links... so any decent suburb along that road.

Excellent map of Perth:

http://www.arta.com.au/wamaps/perth.html
Old Mar 14th 2005, 8:48 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like Joondalup for you. Freo is for the hippys. Also the beaches down there arent too flash as it is the major port for Perth. $250 a week should get you something half decent around Joondalup or even Warwick which is a nice suburb aswell.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Joondalups ok, also there are some very nice suburbs in the area.
But I also like Freo......too expensive for me though!!!!!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

thanks for that sopie...that the problem...not alot of money! what are the suburbs like there and the Beachs also is it easy enough to get to Perth city that would make my daughters happy.

Thanks
Dawn x
hiya dawn

There is really only south beach at freo, which is a small beach, but its a trendy hang out for lots of people.

Both freo and joondalup have good rail links into the city, but personally, if I had teenage daughters (or I was a teenager again...I wish!! LOL) I would want to be near freo! More for them to do I think.

Have a look on www.domain.com.au for rental prices so you can get an idea of what you can get for your money.

Areas in the immediate area around freo are pretty good, and there are some bargains to be had. Just bear in mind that Freo is an older more established area so many of the houses are quite as flash as those you might get in joondalup, but do have more character!!

depends what you're after I guess!

Happy hunting!

love sophia xx
Old Mar 14th 2005, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Freo is lovely, but I doubt you would find somewhere nice there on a budget. It's more your coffee strip and eateries kinda place, ideal for people without kids or with loads of dosh.
Joondalup is much more affordable, especially if you're a couple of burbs back from the beach. There is lots to do at the Arena (they had a rock concert there at the weekend, but it is usually a sports complex) and if you find somewhere near bus routes / train station your girls will be able to get around fairly easily. Be wary of living too far out from things though, have a good look at your maps and you'll get an idea of what is more isolated.
Take care
Larissa
Old Mar 14th 2005, 6:52 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

My impressions:

Joondalup - never been, but have the impression its a long way out.
Warwick - don't have a clue ???
Fremantle - we've just moved here, so I'm biased

Beachwise, there are 3 beaches in Fremantle: Bathers beach, which is right in the heart of Fremantle & is pretty horrible; South Beach, which is in South Fremantle and is a smallish family beach; and Leighton Beach in North Fremantle, which is really nice, with white sands & blue seas (although it gets windy in the afternoons - great if you're into windsurfing!). Getting accomodation "close" to the beach could be tricky, depending on how far from central Fremantle you would want to be.

Rental prices can vary widely. We're paying $180 per week for a 2 bedroom semi-detached house that is quite central.

Fremantle is on the train line to Perth, and so is easy to commute (I believe Joondalup is also on a train line?).

I'd think it's definitely worth visiting each place before you make your mind up, just to get a feel for each
Old Mar 14th 2005, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice

hi
what made you pick these two places? I'm curious as they are so different. Fremantle is much nearer to the city, livelier but more expensive to buy property. Joondalup is, in my opinion, dull. Much cheaper housing but too far out. I really got to hate the place when I stayed there! Passed through Warwick and went shopping there a few times - seemed nice -MUCH nicer than Joondalup.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Joondalup too far out...How so ?

It's about 20mins (maybe less) on the freeway into the centre of Perth.

Originally Posted by lissysarah
hi
what made you pick these two places? I'm curious as they are so different. Fremantle is much nearer to the city, livelier but more expensive to buy property. Joondalup is, in my opinion, dull. Much cheaper housing but too far out. I really got to hate the place when I stayed there! Passed through Warwick and went shopping there a few times - seemed nice -MUCH nicer than Joondalup.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:11 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Hi ya, thanks for your reply, Just looking on the map really for places not to far from coast or some life! Freo does sound nice, might have a look there first. thanks again everyone, really big help. x
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:29 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Joondalup too far out...How so ?

It's about 20mins (maybe less) on the freeway into the centre of Perth.
Whereis.com.au says it's 27.8 km's, and 27 mins.
This seems about right.
In rush hour it's more (espec including from house etc)

With the train it's about 45 mins to get to Nortbridge for example.

For young people, this is far to go out reguraly, and there's not that much in Joondalup. Subiaco, Cottesloe, Fremantle etc would be even further.

Most uni's are south of the river(Murdoch and Curtin, and UWA is at least south of the city), and not easily accesable by train (so by train and then bus), so if that is a factor, Joondalup isn't great either

I used to think Joondalup was far too. Now I have friends living in Butler, THAT's far!!

I personally think that with 2 teenagers, Joondalup isn't your best option.

I really like Fremantle, but yeah, a bit more expensive, unless a bit further out of Freo, or a small townhouse. Could be worth it though!
I can't really reccommend anything else close to the city, as all quite expensive(though usually reasonable to rent, buying is another story).
I'm not exactly sure where Warwick is, but if it's near Duncraig, then yeah, I think that would be a good option.

Good luck. You really can't make a decision like this anyway, but you know that. Oh well, at least it gives you area's to focus on, as it's so hard to see everything when you're here, there's just waaaaayyyyy to many suburbs!!!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:45 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Whereis.com.au says it's 27.8 km's, and 27 mins.
)

27km 27 mins.... thats doing 60 km/h Freeway is 100 so bout 20 mins is right. Peak hour 45mins. Go by motor bike 20.... those emergency lanes are always free.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:55 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Near the coast and budget friendly? tricky. Try Rockingham. Most coastal property near perth is expensive to buy or to rent. Same with property anywhere near the swan river.

Fremantle is over rated and overpriced and is full of hoons fri/sat nights

Joondalup, warwick, edgewater, whitfords, all on the trin line and if you have a car then the beach at ocean reef isn't far to get to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.