Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Joint account,credit history etc

Joint account,credit history etc

Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Joint account,credit history etc

As part of the 12 months evidence for taking my girlfriend to oz on my visa we need to prove we are a couple and sharing etc one of the many things to do that was to open a joint bank account,my girlfriend filed for bankrupcy almost a year ago and the agent that dealt with it,said her name be cleared in about a year,lets just say she had some bad luck with another guy and was left to sort the mess,anyway it was her best options to get rid of that debt,anyway as i want to take her with me and we need to prove evidence we are together etc one of the main ones was a joint bank account.
If we did get this would this affect my credit rating or does this not affect a savings account i have heard it would affect me if i wanted to say get credit,loans and all other stuff in future.i have been with my bank over 20 years now.
Not that it matters as i be going to oz anyway,but someone said that your credit is checked in oz,if i remember right your credit rating means nothing in oz and starts again,this kind of worries us on getting a joint account,the account is not going to be our main ones or change what i already may have just one opened and some money put in from time to time to show we are a couple,please advise please
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joint account,credit history etc

Originally Posted by brian.w
As part of the 12 months evidence for taking my girlfriend to oz on my visa we need to prove we are a couple and sharing etc one of the many things to do that was to open a joint bank account,my girlfriend filed for bankrupcy almost a year ago and the agent that dealt with it,said her name be cleared in about a year,lets just say she had some bad luck with another guy and was left to sort the mess,anyway it was her best options to get rid of that debt,anyway as i want to take her with me and we need to prove evidence we are together etc one of the main ones was a joint bank account.
If we did get this would this affect my credit rating or does this not affect a savings account i have heard it would affect me if i wanted to say get credit,loans and all other stuff in future.i have been with my bank over 20 years now.
Not that it matters as i be going to oz anyway,but someone said that your credit is checked in oz,if i remember right your credit rating means nothing in oz and starts again,this kind of worries us on getting a joint account,the account is not going to be our main ones or change what i already may have just one opened and some money put in from time to time to show we are a couple,please advise please
Brian. You are NOT going to be adding your girlfriend to your visa. She needs her own visa since you did not add her prior to your visa being granted. See the many times you have posted about this. Links are in this thread. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638410

As for the banking thing it doesn't matter unless she's applying for a business visa.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Brian. You are NOT going to be adding your girlfriend to your visa. She needs her own visa since you did not add her prior to your visa being granted. See the many times you have posted about this. Links are in this thread. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638410

As for the banking thing it doesn't matter unless she's applying for a business visa.
I know her own visa,but i think you get where i am coming from,as i have mine already and she does not then to get her with me i have to show 12 months evidence as already mentioned in past posts.

So the banking thing is the real question which i need to get bottom of.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I know her own visa,but i think you get where i am coming from,as i have mine already and she does not then to get her with me i have to show 12 months evidence as already mentioned in past posts.

So the banking thing is the real question which i need to get bottom of.
See the second sentence in my post.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
See the second sentence in my post.
she is not after a business visa,so what does this mean to me and her now for getting a joint bank account and when we get to oz no affect to credit ratings now and no checks in oz from uk credit.

If so where did you get this info from as maybe looking to set up an account later today
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

she is not after a business visa,so what does this mean to me and her now for getting a joint bank account and when we get to oz no affect to credit ratings now and no checks in oz from uk credit.

If so where did you get this info from as maybe looking to set up an account later today
Australia doesn't care about your UK credit rating - or hers, ome to that. They don't carry out checks with the UK re redit ratings.
Basically when you reach Australia you start again financially. No credit rating, either good or bad.

And the source of the info? Well informed posters over the years, agents, certain posters who have a finance background, and personal experience.
If you search the forum for "credit rating" you'll find more threads than you can shake a stick at
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Australia doesn't care about your UK credit rating - or hers, ome to that. They don't carry out checks with the UK re redit ratings.
Basically when you reach Australia you start again financially. No credit rating, either good or bad.

And the source of the info? Well informed posters over the years, agents, certain posters who have a finance background, and personal experience.
If you search the forum for "credit rating" you'll find more threads than you can shake a stick at
So if me and her was to get a joint bank account for our 12 months together thing to help her get a visa,there is no damage to me credit ratings in the uk cause of her past,i understand and thought that was the case for when you move to oz that it does not carry on,i only just need to know now if opening a bank account in uk now for this 12 months thing will dent my credit rating as in now and being in uk.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

So if me and her was to get a joint bank account for our 12 months together thing to help her get a visa,there is no damage to me credit ratings in the uk cause of her past,i understand and thought that was the case for when you move to oz that it does not carry on,i only just need to know now if opening a bank account in uk now for this 12 months thing will dent my credit rating as in now and being in uk.
Depends on her rating and how the credit agencies view it.

If you've got holiday photos, joint invites to weddings, holiday bookings, bills addressed to both of you (council tax for example) going back over a couple of years that will do the job.

We didn't have a joint bank account - and only got one a couple of months ago after 8 years together. Its not the be all and end all for proving your relationship, and if you only open it now then you won't be able to use it as evidence of the relationship for another year yet anyway......
Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:39 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

As part of the 12 months evidence for taking my girlfriend to oz on my visa
As Dorothy said there is no way you can bring her "on your visa". So what is the plan then, are you bringing her over on partner visa? If that's the plan then you should probably stop referring to it as putting her on your visa since that's not something you can do. She has to get her own at this point.

I'm also starting to think you've got a compulsion for repeatedly asking the same questions. I recognize that you're not directly asking about bring your girlfriend to Australia, but it still seems like you're confused when you say you're bringing her on your visa. If you're still confused you might want to read through previous discussions from the past year. I didn't care to search back any farther for more.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583208
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588607
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597578
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615861
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638410

As for the credit issue it's exactly as the others have said. You arrive in Australia with no credit history, which is a good thing.

Last edited by comet555; Nov 4th 2009 at 10:56 am.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:51 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

I remember reading years ago that if you sign jointly for something, eg. loan, bank account, then your credit history/ rating is then joined, and remains so till you ask for it to be changed. This was about 10 years ago, and the reason I never did get a joint account with my ex!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NikiL
Depends on her rating and how the credit agencies view it.

If you've got holiday photos, joint invites to weddings, holiday bookings, bills addressed to both of you (council tax for example) going back over a couple of years that will do the job.

We didn't have a joint bank account - and only got one a couple of months ago after 8 years together. Its not the be all and end all for proving your relationship, and if you only open it now then you won't be able to use it as evidence of the relationship for another year yet anyway......
Well that was the plan to use that as evidence as it needs to be a year anyway we need to prove we are a couple and been living together etc, so a year from now i will be more ready to make my move and we should have all the evidence by then so i can help her get the visa she needs,i still have things to sort out over here first before i even plan my move,so doing all the above now stops anymore delays in making the move.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by comet555
As Dorothy said there is no way you can bring her "on your visa". So what is the plan then, are you bringing her over on partner visa? If that's the plan then you should probably stop referring to it as putting her on your visa since that's not something you can do. She has to get her own at this point.

I'm also starting to think you've got a compulsion for repeatedly asking the same questions. I recognize that you're not directly asking about bring your girlfriend to Australia, but it still seems like you're confused when you say you're bringing her on your visa. If you're still confused you might want to read through previous discussions from the past year. I didn't care to search back any farther for more.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583208
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588607
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597578
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615861
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638410

As for the credit issue it's exactly as the others have said. You arrive in Australia with no credit history, which is a good thing.
Ok i maybe getting confused about saying i am bringing her on my visa but helping her get one,well it will take two of us to do this as we need to prove we are couple,live together and share etc and then so she can apply with the evidence we have got to get her on her way and join me,as for all the older posts, lets just say i was looking into things too deep before they even happened and then did not work out,i know the girl i have found now is right and i could not be anymore happier.

I know about the credit thing in oz i always thought it was that when moving to oz what i am asking is if i did get joint bank account now would this affect my current credit rating?why should i be worried when i am going to be moving anyway.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kar-kier
I remember reading years ago that if you sign jointly for something, eg. loan, bank account, then your credit history/ rating is then joined, and remains so till you ask for it to be changed. This was about 10 years ago, and the reason I never did get a joint account with my ex!
thats 10yrs ago wonder what it is now,as someone said already in this post there are other means to get the evidence i just thought the joint bank account was the way to go and one of the top ones,if others out there have already been through this care to list what evidence they used and what,as i can start looking into making changes and get her name on some stuff.
I will be going with her on holiday for a month end of this month and i suppose this is a great start,i just want to have all the evidence we need,so when 12 months are up she can apply and come with me when i am ready.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:37 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

thats 10yrs ago wonder what it is now,as someone said already in this post there are other means to get the evidence i just thought the joint bank account was the way to go and one of the top ones,if others out there have already been through this care to list what evidence they used and what,as i can start looking into making changes and get her name on some stuff.
I will be going with her on holiday for a month end of this month and i suppose this is a great start,i just want to have all the evidence we need,so when 12 months are up she can apply and come with me when i am ready.
Why not ask a financial advisor?
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:00 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Joint account,credit history etc

Originally Posted by kar-kier
I have never heard of this happening, and it has not been our experience.

We've had a joint account for several years now. It was one piece of evidence we used in the spouse visa application; in fact, they specifically requested evidence of shared finances after receiving our first bunch of documents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.