Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

joining the Rotary club is the go..

joining the Rotary club is the go..

Old Jan 16th 2004, 1:03 am
Badge

Default joining the Rotary club is the go..

My cousin (ex Pom) has introduced me to the local Rotary club.

I suspect in the UK it's almost masonic - over here you turn up, crack a few jokes, join in the banter and eventually they ask you..I visited as a guest about 10 times in 2002 and now I will be applying..I had to turn them down last year. There will be one man in each field, but now they have widened it to 5, so I will be "software engineer" - strangely enough the only one. Suits me ;-) but I could have chosen web designer, systems architect, etc etc they get around it if there are 5 blokes with the same job description.

the fellas are older say 35+ (with many in 50s, 60s and 70s) but they are to a man good blokes. The night is 2 course dinner, port, coffee, (with waiter service) at the local golf club (good feed, cheap beer) over announcements, guest speaker on any topic, fines by the Sergeant at Arms - a well known Sydney historian Professor and writer (very funny - everyone gets hit for a reason, often subtle - I normally get fined for some pommy mistake or misfortune). It's quite formal in a traditional way, loads of "Mr President this" and "fellas I have an announcement that" (with microphone being passed around) but loads of banter and jokes. All the bigwigs in the community are there.

Afterwards I chatted to a few blokes, one a mechanic, one a poultry farmer, (the youngest there at 38 - I am 31), a QUANTAS pilot - my tendency to like FORD was riduculed but they cheered up when I realised I wasn't an owner. One guy says he can get a bullbar put on my ute for a good price- they all suggested job opps.

Great way to make business contacts - belonging to Rotary was the one reason my cousin got a mortgage so quick when he was a temporary worker 10 years ago.

All the wives contribute with cooking and providing accomodation and support to visiting members from other factions so there is something for everyone.

Badge

Old Jan 16th 2004, 3:18 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: joining the Rotary club is the go..

Originally posted by badgersmount
the fellas are older say 35+ (with many in 50s, 60s and 70s) but they are to a man good blokes.
No sound sheilas?

Originally posted by badgersmount
All the wives contribute with cooking and providing accomodation and support to visiting members from other factions so there is something for everyone.
I bet they just live fo the chance to cook for the rotary.

Sorry Badge, glad you are happy with it, but I think I will pass. I tend to agree with Groucho Marx - I would not want to join a club that would have me as a member.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jan 16th 2004, 3:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the conservative association. Bet the wives are so content.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 3:20 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of old twonk!

Quote - All the wives contribute with cooking and providing accomodation and support to visiting members from other factions so there is something for everyone. End Quote

I am just dying to be part of this garbage (NOT) - and you compare it favourably with the masons!!!!!

Cheers Sandra
Old Jan 16th 2004, 3:58 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Rotary is only for those willing to invest in networking. Betcha Badgers one.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Megalania
Rotary is only for those willing to invest in networking. Betcha Badgers one.
Networking's the only way to get anything out here. Not that I wanna be a rotary wife (I cant cook to save my life) but I think it has its advantages. Plus they do a lot of charity work so it's not all bad.

Badge - do they have a funny handshake???
Old Jan 16th 2004, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Sandra
What a load of old twonk!

Quote - All the wives contribute with cooking and providing accomodation and support to visiting members from other factions so there is something for everyone. End Quote

I am just dying to be part of this garbage (NOT) - and you compare it favourably with the masons!!!!!

Cheers Sandra

I am sure they have a lovely womens cookbook we could borrow
Pavlova anyone? Must go now have to whip up some meatballs for hubbys dinner.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 4:28 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty
I am sure they have a lovely womens cookbook we could borrow
Pavlova anyone? Must go now have to whip up some meatballs for hubbys dinner.
Is that TossPot?
Old Jan 16th 2004, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Is that TossPot?
I see you have the good ozzie wives cookbook too, love the handy tips on plastic drinkware and, how to leave hubby enough hot meals if you should inconvenience him by going into hospital for a spell.

Must dash, have just popped a coconut slice in the oven, always handy to pop in his lunchbox which I do up while making his breakfast and smoko.

Old Jan 16th 2004, 4:47 am
Banned

I see you have the good ozzie wives cookbook too, love the handy tips on plastic drinkware and, how to leave hubby enough hot meals if you should inconvenience him by going into hospital for a spell.

Must dash, have just popped a coconut slice in the oven, always handy to pop in his lunchbox which I do up while making his breakfast and smoko.

Ah nice. But can you consistently do nice RumBalls with a pantry restocked once a month river permitting?

Now here's a handy hint:

"To deter bats from roosting inside the house, hang strips of alfoil up in the door-ways that they fly through. This mucks up their radar system so they get disorientated & leave."
Old Jan 16th 2004, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah nice. But can you consistently do nice RumBalls with a pantry restocked once a month river permitting?

Now here's a handy hint:

"To deter bats from roosting inside the house, hang strips of alfoil up in the door-ways that they fly through. This mucks up their radar system so they get disorientated & leave."

A good wife must do her best Monsoon season is testing, but we prepare, if supplies run out I'll just roast some bats. Life on the homestead prepares a woman well.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Hey Badge, its Qantas pilot not Quantas. (No U)

Queensland and Northern Teritory Airways service well something like that, aunty meg will probably know. Formed to rescue homesteader houswifes off of the flooding plains (alright I made that bit up)

Old Jan 16th 2004, 5:15 am
Banned

Chinese Style Bat.

500 gm bat meat,
1 tsp sugar,
1 tsp cornflour,
1 tsp oyster sauce,
1 tsp crushed garlic,
1/2 tsp bi-carb,
1 pinch salt,
2 tsp soy sauce,
2 tsp dry sherry

Slice meat thinly. Mix ingredients in bowl. Marinate at least 5 hours. Quickly fry meat then make sauce.

Sauce:
1 tsp sugar,
3/4 cup water,
2 tbsp dry sherry,
1 tbsp soy sauce,
3 tsp cornflour,
2 chicken stock cubes,
2 tbsp oyster sauce.

Combine ingredients. Bring to boil then add meat and heat through for a few minutes. Server with rice or steamed vegies.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Chinese Style Bat.

500 gm bat meat,
1 tsp sugar,
1 tsp cornflour,
1 tsp oyster sauce,
1 tsp crushed garlic,
1/2 tsp bi-carb,
1 pinch salt,
2 tsp soy sauce,
2 tsp dry sherry

Slice meat thinly. Mix ingredients in bowl. Marinate at least 5 hours. Quickly fry meat then make sauce.

Sauce:
1 tsp sugar,
3/4 cup water,
2 tbsp dry sherry,
1 tbsp soy sauce,
3 tsp cornflour,
2 chicken stock cubes,
2 tbsp oyster sauce.

Combine ingredients. Bring to boil then add meat and heat through for a few minutes. Server with rice or steamed vegies.
Wot, you can eat bat, how much a kilo?, dollars are flying overhead everynight and I missed it, thats not like me
Old Jan 16th 2004, 6:27 am
Banned

Wot, you can eat bat, how much a kilo?, dollars are flying overhead everynight and I missed it, thats not like me
Goes well following an appetizer of honey roasted Cicadas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.