British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Joining oz school during school year 10 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/joining-oz-school-during-school-year-10-a-117583/)

jlmorrison Nov 15th 2002 3:35 pm

Joining oz school during school year 10

Has anybody any experience of their child joining an Oz school during school year 10? (particularly a Perth School).
We were hoping to be in Oz so my son could start school at the beginning of Year 10 (January 02) especially as it's such an important school year in Australia (School certificate year). Unfortunalty our visa app is taking so long (20mths+) it does nt look like we are going to be in Perth until June/July next year - halfway through their school year. Is this going to be a major problem regarding the School Certificate?

Any info would be appreciated

Dame Edna Nov 16th 2002 5:11 am

Re: Joining oz school during school year 10

Not sure if this helps as we are in NSW but, our daughter when we left the UK in OCT of this year (2002) she was in Year 9 (went up in September 2002). When she started school this month (Nov) in OZ she was put into Year 7 due to her age! She was 13 years in August 2002. She will go into Year 8 next school year which is the end of JAN 2003.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Originally posted by jlmorrison
Has anybody any experience of their child joining an Oz school during school year 10? (particularly a Perth School).
We were hoping to be in Oz so my son could start school at the beginning of Year 10 (January 02) especially as it's such an important school year in Australia (School certificate year). Unfortunalty our visa app is taking so long (20mths+) it does nt look like we are going to be in Perth until June/July next year - halfway through their school year. Is this going to be a major problem regarding the School Certificate?

Any info would be appreciated

abergas Nov 16th 2002 11:39 am

Hi
We are in the same boat! Our son has already started year 10 here (september 2002) we had hoped not to get this far but like you this waiting time is going on abit. As his birthday is in august too, he is one of the youngest in his year, so I am pleased he will go back a year or two to have normal school work before his exams. Just hope it works out that way.
Which area of Perth are you heading for? We are thinking of Joondalup or Mandurah.
c-ya Yve

jlmorrison Nov 16th 2002 9:01 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. We are heading for Joondalup - my husbands brother emigrated to oz nearly 4 years ago and lives in Joondalup were he is VERY happy. Unfortunalty he does nt have kids and is not up on the oz education system.
My sons birthday is actually in February when he will be 15. Hes not overly keen on having to repeat a year (in fact he thought being able to leave school in oz at 15 was an excellent idea - over my dead body!). We have looked at the W.A education site and I believe he should be in oz year 10 as from when the new school year begins in Perth (4/2/03) but I can definitely see the advantages of repeating a year though - just to get used to the school system and curriculum. I m sure he will be open to bribery if need be!
Ive found this site very handy for finding info regarding high schools - in the Joondalup area Ocean Reef and Duncraig Senior High seem popular choices. Have you got any ideas which schools you will be considering?

yvsie Nov 17th 2002 12:07 pm

Hi,

If you send me your email address i can email you some info on schools in the area which was posted to me by finch....

yvsie Nov 18th 2002 8:19 am

Hi Lesley,

Ive emailed you the info requested..also to abergas..

I have 3 children ..18, 13 and 10yrs so needed that info.
I also need info on universities for my son. We have researched quite a bit but any other info is very much appreciated. My son is keen to do a degree incorporating 3d animation and media studies in the Perth metro area.......help!!!!

ywoods Nov 18th 2002 6:35 pm

Hiya Leslie

We arrived mid September 2002 and my son would have been just starting in year 11 in UK

When we got here we talked about him starting year 10 next year instead of year 11 but they said that he ws to mature to go back a year and to be honest, he has settled in fine. They start their VCE's (Victoria) in year 11 so we were not unduly worried about the exams, and he has already said that he has covered most of the work that they are doing already. Apparently Aus education is slightly behind UK standards which means your son will settle in with no worries without having to go back a year in school.

If you find that he is not coping, that is the point where you should discuss him going back a year or getting a little help in the tough areas.

My son is now at the point where he has to decide if he is going on to year 11 or if he is to change to a tafe or if he is to leave school altogether and venture out in to the real world. Like yourself I would say over my dead body, but at the end of the day I have always let my son choose his own path in life and guided him when he has asked for it :)

Yvonne :D

Originally posted by jlmorrison
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. We are heading for Joondalup - my husbands brother emigrated to oz nearly 4 years ago and lives in Joondalup were he is VERY happy. Unfortunalty he does nt have kids and is not up on the oz education system.
My sons birthday is actually in February when he will be 15. Hes not overly keen on having to repeat a year (in fact he thought being able to leave school in oz at 15 was an excellent idea - over my dead body!). We have looked at the W.A education site and I believe he should be in oz year 10 as from when the new school year begins in Perth (4/2/03) but I can definitely see the advantages of repeating a year though - just to get used to the school system and curriculum. I m sure he will be open to bribery if need be!
Ive found this site very handy for finding info regarding high schools - in the Joondalup area Ocean Reef and Duncraig Senior High seem popular choices. Have you got any ideas which schools you will be considering?