Reload this Page >

Joiner interested in moving to Australia

Joiner interested in moving to Australia

Old Feb 18th 2021, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Jch19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joiner interested in moving to Australia

Hi,

I’m 33, currently work in the UK as a Joiner and interested in moving to Australia to work and live. I’ve never lived anywhere else other than the UK so would like to experience life in another country. I’m only looking at moving for around 3-4 years initially. The reason for this is that my wife is not keen on moving permanently as she has a close relationship with her family. Just wondering what other people think, from their experience, is it doable to move for around 3-4 years? Can you move and enjoy it in that relatively short time frame? Or will it take too much time to find a home, job, get settled etc? Our 1 year old son would also be with us. I’d be looking to stay in one area for the duration of the time we are there. Interested to hear opinions. Thanks.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joiner interested in moving to Australia

Originally Posted by Jch19
Hi,

I’m 33, currently work in the UK as a Joiner and interested in moving to Australia to work and live. I’ve never lived anywhere else other than the UK so would like to experience life in another country. I’m only looking at moving for around 3-4 years initially. The reason for this is that my wife is not keen on moving permanently as she has a close relationship with her family. Just wondering what other people think, from their experience, is it doable to move for around 3-4 years? Can you move and enjoy it in that relatively short time frame? Or will it take too much time to find a home, job, get settled etc? Our 1 year old son would also be with us. I’d be looking to stay in one area for the duration of the time we are there. Interested to hear opinions. Thanks.
My wife and I agreed 2 years. Over 10 years later still here.

My wife still gets a lot of grief from her parents about moving to the other side of the world and they have refused to visit. We go back every year, even twice a year, to avoid added grief so COVID has made a nice, forced, break.

This is worse case scenario.

Get on and do it. You only live once.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

The Manc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello mate,
just get it done. the last thing you want to do is look back and wonder what life would have been like. Theres loads of work on for the lads here in QLD. im a chippy and not been out of work her in 15 years.
advice for you all as a family here. you will work big hours .probably 56 per week on average. this can isolate the mrs . This is when she will find it tough so its imperative you find friends and mothers groups which there are a plenty everywhere. If your mrs is a networker she will do well i imagine.Filter your friend base as you would anywhere else there not all lovely people here.start slow.. personally i haven't been back to the uk in 15 years. its not like i can stand up paddle board or put me jetski on the river mersey is it lol. i used to send the mrs home once a year and the break did everyone the world of good. as time went on she could see the benefits of living here outweighed the forlornment of missing family. there was no skype ,zoom or facebook when we got here so things are a lot easier.

GOOD LUCK OUR KID
Steve
Old Feb 19th 2021, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beoz
My wife and I agreed 2 years. Over 10 years later still here.

My wife still gets a lot of grief from her parents about moving to the other side of the world and they have refused to visit. We go back every year, even twice a year, to avoid added grief so COVID has made a nice, forced, break.

This is worse case scenario.

Get on and do it. You only live once.
I’d feel a bit bad for her parents as they’ve been really good with giving us help when our son was born and that they wouldn't see him. But like you say you only live once.

If you don’t mind me asking did you go for a permanent visa at the beginning? Or for a temporary visa then permanent later on? Just unsure of what would be best for us in our circumstances.
Old Feb 19th 2021, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Manc
Hello mate,
just get it done. the last thing you want to do is look back and wonder what life would have been like. Theres loads of work on for the lads here in QLD. im a chippy and not been out of work her in 15 years.
advice for you all as a family here. you will work big hours .probably 56 per week on average. this can isolate the mrs . This is when she will find it tough so its imperative you find friends and mothers groups which there are a plenty everywhere. If your mrs is a networker she will do well i imagine.Filter your friend base as you would anywhere else there not all lovely people here.start slow.. personally i haven't been back to the uk in 15 years. its not like i can stand up paddle board or put me jetski on the river mersey is it lol. i used to send the mrs home once a year and the break did everyone the world of good. as time went on she could see the benefits of living here outweighed the forlornment of missing family. there was no skype ,zoom or facebook when we got here so things are a lot easier.

GOOD LUCK OUR KID
Steve
Thanks mate. Did you have to any extra training before you could work over there or were you trade qualifications accepted by employers? I’ve got nvq level 2 and 3 in bench joinery but have maintenance and site experience.
Old Feb 20th 2021, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I’d feel a bit bad for her parents as they’ve been really good with giving us help when our son was born and that they wouldn't see him. But like you say you only live once.

If you don’t mind me asking did you go for a permanent visa at the beginning? Or for a temporary visa then permanent later on? Just unsure of what would be best for us in our circumstances.
If your inlaws were to play an emotional black mail card like mine do, they will be showing their true selfish colours. Any parent who is truly interested in what's best for their children and grand children would encourage you to explore and live your life to the full. They would get on an aeroplane to visit.

No visa for me. I have been fortunate enough to have had dual citizenship all my life and pinged ponged back and forth. I know a bit about the spouse visa but that's the extent of my visa knowledge.
Old Feb 20th 2021, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks mate. Did you have to any extra training before you could work over there or were you trade qualifications accepted by employers? I’ve got nvq level 2 and 3 in bench joinery but have maintenance and site experience.
hiya bud
no, no extra training. As part of your application your qualifications are sent to the trade recognition authority of the Australian government. Nvq3 is recognised so you won't have a problem. Depending on what you make , windows, kitchens the rates are $24 to$27 per hour . Site work is a lot more . As there's more profit in your overtime rates.
farmworkers carpentry or shuttering is where the money is. Bridges , civil projects and mining. $35 to $41 dollars an hour. So my advice would be to move sideways of the bench and get into that before you arrive as an option .if your good lady has qualifications also I image you'll be in quicker. I imagine you'll both have to work so preparing your partner for that may come in handy together with driving licence.
Steve
Old Feb 20th 2021, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Thats formworker
Old Feb 20th 2021, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, playing the devil's advocate card here - I would say to your wife, unless you are prepared to go for ever DONT GO! She needs to read up on the Hague Convention for starters, many (especially but not exclusively) British wives have found that they want to go home but their other half refuses to let the kids go back and the courts will not let the kids leave Australia even if the other half is the worst drop kick ever seen. Many relationships have broken up because the promise is "only 3 or 4 years" but one or the other then thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread and doesnt want to go home - all sorts of emotionally blackmailing reasons masquerading as rationality = jobs, money, house, weather, kids schooling etc etc. But one still wants desperately to go home. I dont think the OP said that the inlaws were playing the emotional blackmail card but it may just be that his missus likes her family and wants to be part of that bigger family off her own bat and raising her kids within that larger family group, rather than living in splendid isolation on the other side of the world. If OTOH the missus is champing at the bit and is prepared to go forever then, of course, try it and see. So, I do hope that your OH does her own research and doesnt move an inch without being completely aware of the shackles she may encounter if you refuse to leave when she wants to (of course, you may be one of the good guys who keeps his word)