Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Joiner/Carpenter going to Melbourne - Do I need to get license and "white card"?

Joiner/Carpenter going to Melbourne - Do I need to get license and "white card"?

Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joiner/Carpenter going to Melbourne - Do I need to get license and "white card"?

We have just decided to head out to Melbourne since we are struggling here in the UK and can't wait any longer since the economy doesn't seem to be picking up so we might as well go and make the most of it.

Anyway, just started reading things about tradies arriving and needing license and blue card or white card and that Australia don't recognise the City & Guilds qualifications so you have to spend money and time getting these recognised as Carpentry level III or we are in big trouble with regards to getting work in Construction?!?!

Our migration agent never mentioned this when we were getting the Skilled Visa (which ended up State Sponsored 176 visa) and now I am panic stricken as I don't know what the situation is for Victoria???

Please can someone help?

Thanks so much
Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joiner/Carpenter going to Melbourne - Do I need to get license and "white card"?

Originally Posted by WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace
We have just decided to head out to Melbourne since we are struggling here in the UK and can't wait any longer since the economy doesn't seem to be picking up so we might as well go and make the most of it.

Anyway, just started reading things about tradies arriving and needing license and blue card or white card and that Australia don't recognise the City & Guilds qualifications so you have to spend money and time getting these recognised as Carpentry level III or we are in big trouble with regards to getting work in Construction?!?!

Our migration agent never mentioned this when we were getting the Skilled Visa (which ended up State Sponsored 176 visa) and now I am panic stricken as I don't know what the situation is for Victoria???

Please can someone help?

Thanks so much

As others have already said, the construction industry in OZ has suffered pretty much a similar fate to the Uk. Many major projects were canned, most of that was work that should be coming on line now but wont be. The gov threw a heap of money into school buildings etc to keep some jobs afloat, many of these projects are about to finish, similar the first home owners grants have been cut back now. Plus interest rates are now rising, construction in oz is not the best thing to be in right now.

We havent worked in Vic for years but I think you need a carpenter lic for work over $5000. When jobs are tight, the employer will go with the candidate who has the licence and local experience anyway.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:26 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Joiner/Carpenter going to Melbourne - Do I need to get license and "white card"?

Originally Posted by WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace

Please can someone help?

Thanks so much
Guys, I don't know the white card requirements at all, what I would say is that I have employed a lot of trades recently and the 2 carpenters I have employed are both flat out with work. One is fully qualified charging $55 per hour, one is 4th year apprentice charging $25 per hour.

If you're still coming to Parkdale, depending when you are planning on arriving, I may have some work that would get you going over the first few weeks.

Buzzy

Buzzy
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Joiner/Carpenter going to Melbourne - Do I need to get license and "white card"?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Guys, I don't know the white card requirements at all, what I would say is that I have employed a lot of trades recently and the 2 carpenters I have employed are both flat out with work. One is fully qualified charging $55 per hour, one is 4th year apprentice charging $25 per hour.

If you're still coming to Parkdale, depending when you are planning on arriving, I may have some work that would get you going over the first few weeks.

Buzzy

Buzzy

This is just too good to be true. First positive info regarding carpenters in Melbourne area I have heard for some time now.

We would love to end up in Parkdale/Cheltenham/Mordialloc/Mentone and are just starting to get things organised to head over in next couple months (hopefully) so if your offer would cover this kind of time scale then I am positive OH will be over the moon.

He is still heading home from work just now so will show him your post when he gets home. Think this is the kind of thing he needs to see just now since he is sooooo stressed. Oh, reason he is kept behind at work tonight is that all their containers had to be emptied and he had to find somewhere to store everything since it turns out the company he is working for at the moment have not bothered to pay for the containers... They also hire containers to use as offices so wtf will happen here he doesn't know. It is just soooo bad.

ANyways, thanks again - didnt mean to say so much but wow. Thanks.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

anshul1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

robertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant future

Hi, as Buzzy has said I dont think you will have much trouble getting work, I work in Mech services in the building industry in Melbourne and although things have become more competative there seems to be plenty still happening.

You will need a white card (It used to be Red) to work on most building sites especially if they are union, there are courses running all the time through various agencies and training companies, cost aroud $200, it's a very easy 1 day course just about common sense health and safety.

Good luck.

Rob
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

in NSW it was a 'blue' card for the health & safety tests, got mine very easy one evening at local TAFE but can't remember cost, multiple choice easy questions as it's all about attending more than passing. e.g. If you have a bear wire on your electric drill should you a) wet your fingers and touch the wire to see if it is live b) call the fire brigade immediatley or c) isolate the power and take the tool to a qualified repairer for checking and repair???

even for those unqualified UK carpenters you can do a 3 day carpentry skills assesment in Sydney (in Castle Hill) and get the full certificate 3 in carpentry which is an australian qualification (as long as you know your stuff!) 1

then getting licence is easy as no trade recognition is required!

so if OH has C&G he should have no probs passing recognition, only thing 'new' to me was EPT tests (explosive power tools) as had never used them in UK, but it's all straight forward common sense safety!

good luck
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

your best bet when you get here is to go work for a gang on site putting up frames or second fix lock up, you will need to get a white card at some stage but not always necessary and as long as you say youve booked in to do the course that will usually surfice, the card is very easy to get and just takes a day, about $100. First thing to do is sort out an ABN number from the tax office, this allows you to work as selfemployed, and will take a couple of weeks to come thru but you can still work regardless. Melbourne has been pretty busy all last year and will be for a while yet untill the first homebuyers grant places are all built, i suspect it will be pretty much ok this year.

You will only need a license when or if you decide to become a builder, you do not need a license to work as a chippy on site or suncontract work from a builder as they hold the license, you can also do small private jobs under a certain amount without a license, there will always be the small cash in hand jobs that come along.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:49 am
Just Joined

marcus_lorraine is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
look these guys up www.tradesrecognition.com up they helped me with the lot ! and i am now in oz !
Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Great stuff - thanks very much guys