Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Johnny and the sportsmen

Johnny and the sportsmen

Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:04 am
kong

Default Johnny and the sportsmen

Election time in OZ. Little Johnny Howard admits that all is not well in Australia. The yob culture of its sporting "stars" is being examined. Food for thought for the Pom refugees, fleeing thechav/thug ridden place that is the UK , chasing the clean wholesome and safe for women and kids Oz.

Johhny Howard must be John Major's antipodean clone! Talk about regressive politics, it smells all very "Back to basics" and look what that did to him and the Tories!

PM pledges 'decent society'

July 8, 2004

PRIME Minister John Howard today harked back to the Great Depression and World War II as he promised a fairer and more decent Australia if he wins the looming federal election.

In a speech billed as outlining his goals for the future, Mr Howard also drew on the death of Test cricketer David Hookes and sex allegations against footballers to describe the problems facing the country.
But the speech was ridiculed by his political opponents, with Labor saying it was an admission by the Government that it had sat on its hands for the past eight years.

Mr Howard, on a three-day swing through key marginal seats in South Australia, used the speech to broadly outline his Government's fourth-term agenda if re-elected.

The Prime Minister pledged to make Australia a fairer and more decent society, by addressing what he termed were big issues such as the sustainability of the continent.

By drawing upon some of Australia's past generations, he said, society could become more decent.

"Perhaps all of us have something to learn from that generation of Australians that came through the Great Depression and World War II and who still found time to be a great generation of joiners in local clubs and voluntary associations," he said.

Mr Howard also touched on the fatal bashing of David Hookes outside a Melbourne nightclub earlier this year and allegations of sexual impropriety against footballers as examples of the problems facing society.

"Our society also needs to remain vigilant against a culture of aggression, particularly among males," he said.

"Earlier this year, we all mourned the tragic death of David Hookes.

"We can avoid sensitive legal questions and still express our dismay at how seemingly minor altercations are allowed to escalate into tragic endings."

In a pitch to voters, Mr Howard said the coming election would be a choice between the party best able to deal with big issues such as the alliance with the United States and the supply of fresh water to the nation's urban centres.

He said the Government had proven its ability with the economy and the handling of national security.

"The Australian people face a choice about who is best equipped to get the big things right, to deliver a strong and prosperous economy, a secure nation, a sustainable continent, a fair and decent society and an enterprise culture," he said.

Opposition Leader Mark Latham said the Prime Minister had run out of puff and ideas.

He said Mr Howard should have used his speech to outline his plans to hand over power to Peter Costello if he won the coming poll.

"If he is looking over the horizon, he should be honest with the Australian people and saying, 'Well, over the horizon, I plan to hand over to Peter Costello'," he said.

"Someone who can't give a commitment to the Australian people to serve a full three years has got to front up about the alternative arrangements."

Australian Greens senator Bob Brown said Mr Howard's speech was full of cliches that offered no ideas.

"The Howard vision is 100 per cent rear-view mirror and no idea at all about the future," he said.

Australian Democrats leader Andrew Bartlett said the Government had put the economy at risk with its big-spending Budget and blindly followed US military policy.

AAP

This report appears on NEWS.com.au.

Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:14 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

He is trying to get attention off the dirty tricks allegation with the muck raking against "man boobs" latham.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:15 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

OK, you can ctrl-C and ctrl-V.
Well done.
Have an elephant stamp:
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:26 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

LMAO Megs, love your replies to our daily installment of "Kong hates Oz".
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:32 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default John Howard

Nothing wrong with that. At least it's sunny there.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:36 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Bordy
LMAO Megs, love your replies to our daily installment of "Kong hates Oz".
Actually, Im a Schitsophrenic Ventrilquist on the verge of an Epiphany.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:37 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Megalania
Actually, Im a Schitsophrenic Ventrilquist on the verge of an Epiphany.
Yeah thats why I'm worried whereabouts in Melbourne your going.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:45 am
kong

Default Re: John Howard

Originally posted by lucyb
Nothing wrong with that. At least it's sunny there.

What has weather got to do with thugs engaging in physical and sexual assault?? Are you condoning this sort of behaviour??

Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:47 am
The Godfather

Originally posted by kong

What has weather got to do with thugs engaging in physical and sexual assault?? Are you condoning this sort of behaviour??

Yaawwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:49 am
Banned

Originally posted by Bordy
Yeah thats why I'm worried whereabouts in Melbourne your going.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:54 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I do so love a nice hot sunny climate.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:59 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Attached Thumbnails Johnny and the sportsmen-vent_photo1.jpg  
Old Jul 8th 2004, 12:22 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Absolutely not. Soccer hooligans need to thrown out of the UK ASAP.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 12:32 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Johnny and the sportsmen

Election time in OZ. Little Johnny Howard admits that all is not well in Australia. The yob culture of its sporting "stars" is being examined. Food for thought for the Pom refugees, fleeing thechav/thug ridden place that is the UK , chasing the clean wholesome and safe for women and kids Oz.

Johhny Howard must be John Major's antipodean clone! Talk about regressive politics, it smells all very "Back to basics" and look what that did to him and the Tories!

PM pledges 'decent society'

July 8, 2004

PRIME Minister John Howard today harked back to the Great Depression and World War II as he promised a fairer and more decent Australia if he wins the looming federal election.

In a speech billed as outlining his goals for the future, Mr Howard also drew on the death of Test cricketer David Hookes and sex allegations against footballers to describe the problems facing the country.
But the speech was ridiculed by his political opponents, with Labor saying it was an admission by the Government that it had sat on its hands for the past eight years.

Mr Howard, on a three-day swing through key marginal seats in South Australia, used the speech to broadly outline his Government's fourth-term agenda if re-elected.

The Prime Minister pledged to make Australia a fairer and more decent society, by addressing what he termed were big issues such as the sustainability of the continent.

By drawing upon some of Australia's past generations, he said, society could become more decent.

"Perhaps all of us have something to learn from that generation of Australians that came through the Great Depression and World War II and who still found time to be a great generation of joiners in local clubs and voluntary associations," he said.

Mr Howard also touched on the fatal bashing of David Hookes outside a Melbourne nightclub earlier this year and allegations of sexual impropriety against footballers as examples of the problems facing society.

"Our society also needs to remain vigilant against a culture of aggression, particularly among males," he said.

"Earlier this year, we all mourned the tragic death of David Hookes.

"We can avoid sensitive legal questions and still express our dismay at how seemingly minor altercations are allowed to escalate into tragic endings."

In a pitch to voters, Mr Howard said the coming election would be a choice between the party best able to deal with big issues such as the alliance with the United States and the supply of fresh water to the nation's urban centres.

He said the Government had proven its ability with the economy and the handling of national security.

"The Australian people face a choice about who is best equipped to get the big things right, to deliver a strong and prosperous economy, a secure nation, a sustainable continent, a fair and decent society and an enterprise culture," he said.

Opposition Leader Mark Latham said the Prime Minister had run out of puff and ideas.

He said Mr Howard should have used his speech to outline his plans to hand over power to Peter Costello if he won the coming poll.

"If he is looking over the horizon, he should be honest with the Australian people and saying, 'Well, over the horizon, I plan to hand over to Peter Costello'," he said.

"Someone who can't give a commitment to the Australian people to serve a full three years has got to front up about the alternative arrangements."

Australian Greens senator Bob Brown said Mr Howard's speech was full of cliches that offered no ideas.

"The Howard vision is 100 per cent rear-view mirror and no idea at all about the future," he said.

Australian Democrats leader Andrew Bartlett said the Government had put the economy at risk with its big-spending Budget and blindly followed US military policy.

AAP

This report appears on NEWS.com.au.
Well, I try to read your posts' kong, really I do....

But with all the cut n paste waffle (reminds me of the good ol' PB days), I've never gotten through one yet.

Don't you have any ideas/opinions of your own?
Old Jul 8th 2004, 12:47 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny and the sportsmen

Originally posted by chippy
Well, I try to read your posts' kong, really I do....

But with all the cut n paste waffle (reminds me of the good ol' PB days), I've never gotten through one yet.

Don't you have any ideas/opinions of your own?

Thank you Chippy

I thought it was just me. I read the first paragraph, honest I do, but then I think oh god its just kong again and spin down to the bottom to read the entertaining replies. Whatever Kong is trying to tell us he is possibly going about it the wrong way - please correct me if I am wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.