Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Johnny Howard's New ****** Up Workplace Laws

Johnny Howard's New ****** Up Workplace Laws

Old May 29th 2005, 8:43 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Howard's New F**ked Up Workplace Laws

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Try some different bait ... how about ... hold on, I'll post another thread, wouldn't want to drag this one off-topic ...
I forgot to lay my ground bait first
Old May 29th 2005, 8:44 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Johnny Howard's New ****** Up Workplace Laws

Whilst I am certain the laws are a weakening of workers rights I am gladdened there will be a federal system. There are currently thousands of awards that vary across states making national business harder and more expensive than necessary.
Old May 29th 2005, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve2438
I can see where you are comming from,but good staff are hard to find,and to use your quote "Surely you get better work out of people who feel a sense of belonging" there is no such thing...sorry staff might feel that they belong,but when the accounts department say "cut your costs" staff will go.

they are you highest cost,to any company..so there is no such thing as job security in any job,you might have rights,you might have been there years,you will be paid off and forgotton about....sorry if i sound like a S"$t,but im not just telling like it is
But if you are on a casual contract you don't get any notice or a pay off. No job is totally secure, but at least with a permanent contract you get a chance to find another means of income before you are dumped. No, I don't think you are a s**t - just seeing it from an employers perspective. Don't envy you that. I would hate to run my own company.
Old May 29th 2005, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RReed
But if you are on a casual contract you don't get any notice or a pay off. No job is totally secure, but at least with a permanent contract you get a chance to find another means of income before you are dumped. No, I don't think you are a s**t - just seeing it from an employers perspective. Don't envy you that. I would hate to run my own company.

Don't envy you that. I would hate to run my own company

and me,thats why i want to jack it all in and move to Oz
Old May 29th 2005, 1:15 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

A little light reading for the curious:

A new workplace relations system

Ho-hum. Unfair dismissal - what's that? Boss doesn't like you - never was a good basis for hanging on to a job.
Old May 30th 2005, 12:17 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Whilst I am certain the laws are a weakening of workers rights I am gladdened there will be a federal system. There are currently thousands of awards that vary across states making national business harder and more expensive than necessary.

I for one am glad there is a federal system, but not in the way that Johnny H is proposing. Why oh why has he forgotten the folk out in the bush (rural areas) again. Anybody would be hard pressed to find a company outside one of the big cities that operates with permanent staff in rural areas that employs more than 100 people. I know from living in East Gippslland that a lot of people are going to feel very uneasy about their jobs from now on.

It's OK for city folk working for big companies etc. but what about the folk in full time employment that don't live in the big cities, don't wish to, and work in successful small rural businesses??

NJJ
Old May 30th 2005, 12:23 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
About half the counry is already employed as casual labour etc, no rights no nothng, including professionals. Its already easy to get shot of workers, because so many are employed casual, subcontract, temporary contracts etc. implications of the new laws are much more than getting rid of lame ducks.

casual work - I did that for two years here in oz and had no rights. I am now in full time work and am trying to protect both my rights, and others in the same position as me. i am no longer in union based labour either.

NJJ
Old May 30th 2005, 1:28 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

If passed it will screw the last of the low income into the ground, and make fair headway in screwing the majority of the middle income earners.

It's all this globalisation and economic rationalist crap we have been putting up with for the last 20 years or so.

The multinational corporations are running the current world economic stage.
The sooner we work out how to kick them in the ass and get the control of the developed nations economies back to a viable system that incorporates a "fair go" for all and decent social policies, the better off we will be as people, individually and collectively.

Its time we united and fought back. GO the unions !!!!
Old May 30th 2005, 10:22 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NJJ
I for one am glad there is a federal system, but not in the way that Johnny H is proposing. Why oh why has he forgotten the folk out in the bush (rural areas) again. Anybody would be hard pressed to find a company outside one of the big cities that operates with permanent staff in rural areas that employs more than 100 people. I know from living in East Gippslland that a lot of people are going to feel very uneasy about their jobs from now on.

It's OK for city folk working for big companies etc. but what about the folk in full time employment that don't live in the big cities, don't wish to, and work in successful small rural businesses??

NJJ
This is not a city country thing although it may proportionally affect country workers more than those in the city but by shear volume city workers will be severely caught up. The Mrs works for a subsidiary of an international company which would probably go under the 100 employee threshold.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:28 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bondipom
This is not a city country thing although it may proportionally affect country workers more than those in the city but by shear volume city workers will be severely caught up. The Mrs works for a subsidiary of an international company which would probably go under the 100 employee threshold.

You are right in it not being a city/country thing BP, I presently live on the city fringe of Melbourne and work for a company which employs 78 people including me, so it will indeed affect people in all areas.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwichild
If passed it will screw the last of the low income into the ground, and make fair headway in screwing the majority of the middle income earners.

It's all this globalisation and economic rationalist crap we have been putting up with for the last 20 years or so.

The multinational corporations are running the current world economic stage.
The sooner we work out how to kick them in the ass and get the control of the developed nations economies back to a viable system that incorporates a "fair go" for all and decent social policies, the better off we will be as people, individually and collectively.

Its time we united and fought back. GO the unions !!!!
it's what happens when you vote for right wing assholes who only give a toss about people who have money. It's working well for me in the UK at the moment - I am an IT contractor and earn a wedge without paying much tax, but I can remember during the early 90's when it was impossible to find jobs and the "low regulation" allowed employers to screw their employees to the ground.

Come the revolution Howard and those like him will be first up against the wall
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulf
Those changes are EXTREME, I don't know the history of australia's working class people But somewhere along the line these rights were earned and this is just taking the piss out of hard working people, what a powerfull weapon to hold over the workers, "do as I say or you're sacked"
Why should anyone have to employ a scumbag. If you don't like the workers face why shouldn't the employer be allowed to sack him. The employer pays the wages. If the worker doesn't like doing what the boss says tough. That's what he is paid to do.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Why should anyone have to employ a scumbag. If you don't like the workers face why shouldn't the employer be allowed to sack him. The employer pays the wages. If the worker doesn't like doing what the boss says tough. That's what he is paid to do.
wonderful, how long have you been unemployed?
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:52 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

Why should anyone have to employ a scumbag. .
Indeed, why should they? Is this not what the interview process and probationary period is put in place to try and locate this type of employee? If the boss is any good, they would spot the rogue, or 'scumbag' employee by the end of the three month probation

If you don't like the workers face why shouldn't the employer be allowed to sack him. The employer pays the wages. If the worker doesn't like doing what the boss says tough. That's what he is paid to do.

The latter part of your post holds no credit with most level minded people however.

NJJ
Old Jun 1st 2005, 11:00 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
it's what happens when you vote for right wing assholes who only give a toss about people who have money. It's working well for me in the UK at the moment - I am an IT contractor and earn a wedge without paying much tax, but I can remember during the early 90's when it was impossible to find jobs and the "low regulation" allowed employers to screw their employees to the ground.

Come the revolution Howard and those like him will be first up against the wall
Well Howard will enjoy an unreal poer trip come July when he takes control of the senate as well as H.O.R. Personally, the UK is looking all the more attractive to me right now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.