British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Johnny Howard's New ****** Up Workplace Laws (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/johnny-howards-new-%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A-up-workplace-laws-305712/)

NJJ May 29th 2005 5:42 am

Johnny Howard's New ****** Up Workplace Laws

What does everyone think of johnny's big plan to **** us all over in the workplace??

my main gripes are the following points -

Probation period to be changed from three months to six. Three months is surely the right amount of time for a probation period. Ideally this would be setby the individual employer anyway.

Companies with under 100 employees exempt from unfair dismissal laws Now this is the main point. wtf does Howard & co think they are going to achieve by implementing this? A boss can sack an employee for something as trivial as not liking the same football team and there would be no legal course the sacked employee could take.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E2702,00.html

What do all those in Aus think of these, and the other changes? For those not in Aus yet, you would be well advised of reading up on these proposed laws before the big move.

jad n rich May 29th 2005 6:54 am

Re: Johnny Howard's New F**ked Up Workplace Laws

Originally Posted by NJJ
What does everyone think of johnny's big plan to **** us all over in the workplace??

Probation period to be changed from three months to six. Three months is surely the right amount of time for a probation period. Ideally this would be setby the individual employer anyway.

Companies with under 100 employees exempt from unfair dismissal laws Now this is the main point. wtf does Howard & co think they are going to achieve by implementing this? A boss can sack an employee for something as trivial as not liking the same football team and there would be no legal course the sacked employee could take.

What do all those in Aus think of these, and the other changes? For those not in Aus yet, you would be well advised of reading up on these proposed laws before the big move.

I rather liked employers can negotiate OUT, super, loading compensation for casuals, loading for weekends, shifts etc, minimum wage, holidays for perms, sick pays etc, good job we dont get maternity or they could have gotten rid of that too :rolleyes:

Who cares tho its sunny :D

RReed May 29th 2005 7:04 am

If you are heading here be prepared to give up job security and employment rights. Especially outside of the local authority sector.

Deadmeat May 29th 2005 7:12 am

Originally Posted by NJJ

We might as well stick a blue dress on the spineless monkey and call him Thatcher (when WILL she die?).

And it ain't gonna get any better either, Idiot Boy isn't short of power ...

fraser May 29th 2005 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
We might as well stick a blue dress on the spineless monkey and call him Thatcher (when WILL she die?).

And it ain't gonna get any better either, Idiot Boy isn't short of power ...

What have you got against that fine lady...............

Hutch May 29th 2005 7:20 am

Originally Posted by fraser

Here we go ....

Steve2438 May 29th 2005 7:21 am

Originally Posted by RReed
If you are heading here be prepared to give up job security and employment rights. Especially outside of the local authority sector.

Think of it the other way,you run a company and you know there are some crap staff who are"milking" your companies assest,day in day out,sickness,come in late,dont do the work when they are in,jack the other staff off because they are carrying those people and then think what are the management doing about it.....you know the score,for them this must be great news....if your good at your job what are you worried about..

jad n rich May 29th 2005 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Steve2438
Think of it the other way,you run a company and you know there are some crap staff who are"milking" your companies assest,day in day out,sickness,come in late,dont do the work when they are in,jack the other staff off because they are carrying those people and then think what are the management doing about it.....you know the score,for them this must be great news....if your good at your job what are you worried about..

About half the counry is already employed as casual labour etc, no rights no nothng, including professionals. Its already easy to get shot of workers, because so many are employed casual, subcontract, temporary contracts etc. implications of the new laws are much more than getting rid of lame ducks.

Steve2438 May 29th 2005 7:52 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich
About half the counry is already employed as casual labour etc, no rights no nothng, including professionals. Its already easy to get shot of workers, because so many are employed casual, subcontract, temporary contracts etc. implications of the new laws are much more than getting rid of lame ducks.

Ok but i can have my views,also I run my own company,i have no rights,i'm a contractor,i get no holiday pay,sick pay,people paying into my pension,other people doing my taxes,I'm paid as a proffessional for the work i do...why would i do this...simply...it called control over your life.

as for my staff...they have to have it all given to them on a plate...im not worried about this before anyone gets on there high horse...thats the life we have created over here

RReed May 29th 2005 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Steve2438

I'm not worried - I work for the local authority on a permanent contract. I work with staff who have been employed on casual contracts for 10 years! They are good at their jobs otherwise they wouldn't have continued to get allocated shifts. Those who are crap at the job just don't get rostered - there is no shortage of staff. Why should good workers have this lack of job security?

It is also difficult to get a permanent contract. My husband is a graphic designer and there is work on a freeland basis. This is not a problem for us because we anticipated this and planned for it. But - for those who are not prepared it can be hard. Job and income insecurity does not make you feel good about yourself or your workplace. Surely you get better work out of people who feel a sense of belonging. As for s**t staff - you can get rid of them easily. If they are not fulfilling their contract you have every right to sack them.

Deadmeat May 29th 2005 8:29 am

I've got a fine bottle of wine ready for drinkin' when she finally leaves this earth by whatever means creatures of her type use.

I'll hear the street parties from here I swear it ...

fraser May 29th 2005 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
I've got a fine bottle of wine ready for drinkin' when she finally leaves this earth by whatever means creatures of her type use.

I'll hear the street parties from here I swear it ...

I was only fishing mate, well done for not biting ;)

paulf May 29th 2005 8:39 am

Re: Johnny Howard's New ****** Up Workplace Laws

Those changes are EXTREME, I don't know the history of australia's working class people But somewhere along the line these rights were earned and this is just taking the piss out of hard working people, what a powerfull weapon to hold over the workers, "do as I say or you're sacked"

Deadmeat May 29th 2005 8:41 am

I was only fishing mate, well done for not biting ;)

Try some different bait ... how about ... hold on, I'll post another thread, wouldn't want to drag this one off-topic ... ;)

Steve2438 May 29th 2005 8:43 am

Originally Posted by RReed
I'm not worried - I work for the local authority on a permanent contract. I work with staff who have been employed on casual contracts for 10 years! They are good at their jobs otherwise they wouldn't have continued to get allocated shifts. Those who are crap at the job just don't get rostered - there is no shortage of staff. Why should good workers have this lack of job security?

It is also difficult to get a permanent contract. My husband is a graphic designer and there is work on a freeland basis. This is not a problem for us because we anticipated this and planned for it. But - for those who are not prepared it can be hard. Job and income insecurity does not make you feel good about yourself or your workplace. Surely you get better work out of people who feel a sense of belonging. As for s**t staff - you can get rid of them easily. If they are not fulfilling their contract you have every right to sack them.

I can see where you are comming from,but good staff are hard to find,and to use your quote "Surely you get better work out of people who feel a sense of belonging" there is no such thing...sorry staff might feel that they belong,but when the accounts department say "cut your costs" staff will go.

they are you highest cost,to any company..so there is no such thing as job security in any job,you might have rights,you might have been there years,you will be paid off and forgotton about....sorry if i sound like a S"$t,but im not just telling like it is