British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   John mason 1/2 container - £2150 expensive? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/john-mason-1-2-container-%C2%A32150-expensive-633334/)

freckles1970 Sep 30th 2009 3:26 pm

John mason 1/2 container - £2150 expensive?

Hope someone may be able to give me some advice.

Had three companies round to do shipping quotes yesterday and the first one back is John masons. They said I had just shy of 1/2 a container so I am going to make sure I put more stuff in and get my monies worth as they are charging me for half!!!

They have given me a quote for £2150. This does not include insurance or any customs charges at the other end. Is this expensive or about right?

Any opionions greatly appreciated:thumbup:

tartantopgun Sep 30th 2009 5:47 pm

Re: John mason 1/2 container - £2150 expensive?

Maybe not far off. We have had 5 quotes from the usual suspects, and we got £2950 for a sole use 20' container fully pack/unpack service. Including 2 months storage. :thumbup:

Haggle, it is amazing what margins they can reduce. Also make sure that you tell them that you will be sharing your opinions and experience with the salesman/woman and company with the lovely peeps at britishexpats.com.

wishing Sep 30th 2009 6:10 pm

Wow we just got our quote for a sole use 20 ft container,Dorre bonner came in at £3700 plus insurance and taxes!!!! :confused:
Anglo pacific was £3800 plus insurance

Must try john masons

ronnie98 Sep 30th 2009 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by wishing (Post 7978355)
Wow we just got our quote for a sole use 20 ft container,Dorre bonner came in at £3700 plus insurance and taxes!!!! :confused:
Anglo pacific was £3800 plus insurance

Must try john masons

my quotes are 5500 for a 40ft container:unsure:

Australia_bound? Sep 30th 2009 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by freckles1970 (Post 7977972)

Had three companies round to do shipping quotes yesterday and the first one back is John masons. They said I had just shy of 1/2 a container so I am going to make sure I put more stuff in and get my monies worth as they are charging me for half!!!

They have given me a quote for £2150. This does not include insurance or any customs charges at the other end. Is this expensive or about right?

Is about the right price. If you can get a similar one then get them to compete for your business. Might get £100 off?

freckles1970 Sep 30th 2009 7:12 pm

Cheers for the advice.Sounds like they make a huge profit if you share a container then...the company get over £4k when two families share the container, and they are charging just shy of £3k if you take the whole container? ....a money making scheme indeed...perhaps I am in the wrong field of employment!:sneaky:

I will deinitely be sharing all the prices quoted on here as I think as a community we need to keep all the shipping companies on their toes so we don't get ripped off.

freckles1970 Sep 30th 2009 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by tartantopgun (Post 7978309)
Maybe not far off. We have had 5 quotes from the usual suspects, and we got £2950 for a sole use 20' container fully pack/unpack service. Including 2 months storage. :thumbup:

Haggle, it is amazing what margins they can reduce. Also make sure that you tell them that you will be sharing your opinions and experience with the salesman/woman and company with the lovely peeps at britishexpats.com.

By the way, who was this with as I may give them a call and get them to quote me too.

tartantopgun Sep 30th 2009 7:21 pm

I had two under 3k. Pickfords and Whites. Whites wee really nice and friendly, and their price was well explained.

LouiseR Sep 30th 2009 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by freckles1970 (Post 7978507)
Cheers for the advice.Sounds like they make a huge profit if you share a container then...the company get over £4k when two families share the container, and they are charging just shy of £3k if you take the whole container? ....a money making scheme indeed...perhaps I am in the wrong field of employment!:sneaky:

They've also got to go to different properties to pack up the stuff, then go to another two different properties to deliver everything. Maybe not a £1000 worth a work but they certainly have more travel etc than with just one family.

tartantopgun Sep 30th 2009 10:00 pm

Just remember that if there is a problem with another persons goods in your shared container, then you will have to wait till it is resolved until you get your own goods:thumbdown:. Like a quarintine or cleaning issue.

freckles1970 Sep 30th 2009 10:04 pm

Hmmmm, didn't think of that one which is a bit of a worry. Presumambly though, if the packers do their job properly that should not happen?

tartantopgun Sep 30th 2009 10:07 pm

Just another point. What if one of the shared consignments have been self packed. Custom clearance nightmare. These are just points that my wife and I have thought about in our decision making process.

nevsy Oct 1st 2009 1:28 am

Just a little tip

If your shipping over a container make sure quote covers AQIs inspection charges and delivery to your door.I self shipped a 20ft over cost £1500 from UK to Brisbane docks then a further $3800 to get it upacked and inspected repacked and delivered to my door.My advise is be careful what you sign up to.Make sure all inspection charges delivery etc. are inclucded in the price.

Good Luck:thumbup:

FionaandAndrew Oct 1st 2009 7:21 am

Originally Posted by freckles1970 (Post 7977972)

Hi, we've paid exactly the same for half a container with Crown.

Vash the Stampede Oct 1st 2009 11:06 am

£2,165 with Allied Pickfords for half a container. Does not include insurance (we're using Letton Percival) or customs charges.

:thumbup: