Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Joggers: What's a good running shoe?

Joggers: What's a good running shoe?

Old May 23rd 2008, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice
Default Joggers: What's a good running shoe?

I need to do some exercise - all this cheap red wine is making me fat & my surfing sessions seem to be dwindling away, can't get motivated anymore.

Can anybody recommend a good trainer for some mild running ?

Or a good Aussie chainstore that can offer knowledgable advice.

Thanks,
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:21 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joggers: What's a good running shoe?

Originally Posted by scotty9000
I need to do some exercise - all this cheap red wine is making me fat & my surfing sessions seem to be dwindling away, can't get motivated anymore.

Can anybody recommend a good trainer for some mild running ?

Or a good Aussie chainstore that can offer knowledgable advice.

Thanks,

Athletes Foot have a fair range, although treat their imaging test as a bit of a gimick. It can help, but is really only a guide. Brooks are a good and reasonably priced shoe, and ASICS more the top end.
Do not be afraid to try lots on and do not assume the more expensive, the better it is. Ensure they know what you are going to be using it for (just casual running, cross country, training for half marathons etc) as this will affect choice.
If you want a good start-to-run programe, then use this:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

and check out www.coolrunning.com.au for lots of useful info.

Good luck!
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

Asics for me are the best definately need to try them before you buy and find out what type of foot you are when running ie over pronator, neutral etc. have a look at runnersworld uk site lots of advice about shoes.
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Asics for me too, they are very good.

As before you need to check what type of foot you are.
There is a test you can do yourself, that you get out of the bath and put you wet foot on a piece of paper and it shows what type of foot you have.
Saw it on a online running website yonks ago

Oh and if you new to running you can find couch to 5k running plans, or half marathon, marathon etc.

Gems

Doh, just relised the link above goes to the couch to 5K!

Last edited by Gems; May 23rd 2008 at 4:20 am.
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Here is link to see what type of foot you have. Then you can get right running shoe.

http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk/foottype.htm

Gems
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:37 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Here is link to see what type of foot you have. Then you can get right running shoe.

http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk/foottype.htm

Gems
That is a simpler version of Athletes FootPrint system. Like I said, it will give you a guide, but remember your foot will react completely differently when running to when you are standing/walking slowly - so use this type of info as a start, but get some good advice in store.
Old May 23rd 2008, 5:09 am
Stuart and Carolann

stu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant future

Everyone will have an opinion on which is the best running shoe. You should seek profession advise from a good running shop. However, I do a lot of running and swear by Asics Gel Nimbus. They are a little bit more expensive but I feel they are worth the extra money. It will also depend on what surface you will be running on. Do you plan on running on the roads/paths, running machine at the gym or cross country.
Old May 23rd 2008, 5:27 am
Full Throttle

Originally Posted by stu-carol
Everyone will have an opinion on which is the best running shoe. You should seek profession advise from a good running shop. However, I do a lot of running and swear by Asics Gel Nimbus. They are a little bit more expensive but I feel they are worth the extra money. It will also depend on what surface you will be running on. Do you plan on running on the roads/paths, running machine at the gym or cross country.
Yup - I have those too, they are great shoes although my feet do get a bit warm in them due to all the cushioning.
Old May 23rd 2008, 6:12 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't run but I do have Asics for in the gym and walking and they were recommended by both my osteopath and an expert trainer fitter in Sg. My feet spread from living in sandals and Asics come in different widths so were good for me. I have a lot of friends who run, do marathons, triathlons etc., and most of them wear Asics too.

Do you have any old trainers you can take along so the fitter can assess your wear pattern?
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Lettik is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a personal trainer and also do alot of running myself. When it comes to buying trainers, you really have to analyise (sp) what you are going to use them for as they all have varying soles and support systems.

Don't be afraid to thoroughly inspect shoes in the shop. A good sole for running outside will be firm and difficult to "wring" (try twisitng it like a dish cloth), it should also have vents for circulation, shock absorption, and a good heel support. The back of the shoe shouldn't rise up over the achilles as this will cause friction - most running shoes will have this bit "cut" away. Gym shoes tend to be softer, basketball type boots rise up over the ankle - non of these are suitable for running.

At the end of the day, brand make is personal choice. Your foot needs to be comfortable in the shoe. Personally, I use Asiscs and Reebok mostly, Nike and Addidas have some good ones also.

Hope this helps. Check out my website if you want to know anything else www.lettikemp.com
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

Thanks for the advice peeps, that will help me get started.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Lettik is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgot to say......trainers need to be changed on average every 3 months depending on the mileage your doing. Once wear is noticeable or the trainer can be "wrung" its past it sell by date.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:30 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have found the shoe thats best for you you should invest in anti blister socks. They are expensive but well worth the extra. No matter how good the shoe your not going too far if you have blisters.
Old May 23rd 2008, 8:21 am
Just Joined

JRockit is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also just started running and like you wondered which shoe was best for me. There is a wealth of info out there in cyberspace. First port of call should be checking out your foot 'type' as mentioned in a previous post. As well as those sites mentioned above, http://www.runnersneed.co.uk is also very helfpul- and they have an excellent, insightful 'expert advice' section.

Good luck!
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice

If you've got an ipod i'd got the nike runners and the ipod sports kit. It's great, there's a little thing that fits into the shoe, then connect wirelessly to the bottom of the ipod. records your times, distances, calories burnt. it's a good incentive to me anyway. running's ok, but a lot more interesting with this to give me stats with. oh yeah, and the runners - never had a problem, so light, doesn't feel like you're wearing trainers at all.

Good luck

Karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.