Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

JOBS......where for art thou????????

JOBS......where for art thou????????

Old May 10th 2006, 6:34 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
neilvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: tween a rock and hard place
Posts: 30
neilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud of
Default JOBS......where for art thou????????

can anyone let me into the secret? how does one get a job in Melbourne? in the last 5 months i have.... had my resume (cv) re written by a professional aussie company....applied for in excess of 50 jobs on seek/careerone/mycareer (all of which i write a different cover letter and change the resume to match the advertisement).......been interviewed by several agencies who have promised to find me work (you're just what we're looking for).........been told I'm over qualified for junior entry positions....been told I've no Australian work experience for other posts (what came first the chook or the egg...no job no experience; no experience no job!!!!!) been told by bunnings that i do not have relevant experience to stack shelves or anything else in their huge diverse business.......have "cold called" countless firms and job agencies (yes we'll take your resume and contact you if anything comes up....HEY I'm still waiting).......had the stuck up receptionist at Hudson's in Collins St tell me "no you cannot leave your resume go home and email it to us" stuck up bit#h!!!........even tried the Yoser Hughes (boys from the black stuff) approach "go on gis a job, I can do that, go on gis it"........the help from my friends has been great but I think even now they are getting bored with it my friends have gone above and beyond the call , reading job ads to me so I can apply checking their versions of the leader and asking where they work but all to no avail.....I do not have a "trade" i was a postman then manager for the 17 years and hated the last 6, it was one of the major reasons to come to Aus so NO i do not want to work for Aus Post as I may as well go back to the UK.
So if anyone knows the secret to getting a job please let me know.
neilvic is offline  
Old May 10th 2006, 7:14 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: S.E. Suburbs, Melbourne
Posts: 121
gunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: JOBS......where for art thou????????

Originally Posted by neilvic
can anyone let me into the secret? how does one get a job in Melbourne? in the last 5 months i have.... had my resume (cv) re written by a professional aussie company....applied for in excess of 50 jobs on seek/careerone/mycareer (all of which i write a different cover letter and change the resume to match the advertisement).......been interviewed by several agencies who have promised to find me work (you're just what we're looking for).........been told I'm over qualified for junior entry positions....been told I've no Australian work experience for other posts (what came first the chook or the egg...no job no experience; no experience no job!!!!!) been told by bunnings that i do not have relevant experience to stack shelves or anything else in their huge diverse business.......have "cold called" countless firms and job agencies (yes we'll take your resume and contact you if anything comes up....HEY I'm still waiting).......had the stuck up receptionist at Hudson's in Collins St tell me "no you cannot leave your resume go home and email it to us" stuck up bit#h!!!........even tried the Yoser Hughes (boys from the black stuff) approach "go on gis a job, I can do that, go on gis it"........the help from my friends has been great but I think even now they are getting bored with it my friends have gone above and beyond the call , reading job ads to me so I can apply checking their versions of the leader and asking where they work but all to no avail.....I do not have a "trade" i was a postman then manager for the 17 years and hated the last 6, it was one of the major reasons to come to Aus so NO i do not want to work for Aus Post as I may as well go back to the UK.
So if anyone knows the secret to getting a job please let me know.
Since u have'nt mentioned ur age, i'm at a bit of a handicap. Trying doing Pizza delivery till the time u don't find something that catches ur fancy. When i came here 40 months back i was advised to "dumb down". I did that. Have 2 jobs - 1 full time and the other part time. And i know how they throw the "not having Ozzy experience" thing.
gunitm is offline  
Old May 10th 2006, 7:15 am
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,375
jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JOBS......where for art thou????????

Originally Posted by neilvic
can anyone let me into the secret? how does one get a job in Melbourne? in the last 5 months i have.... had my resume (cv) re written by a professional aussie company....applied for in excess of 50 jobs on seek/careerone/mycareer (all of which i write a different cover letter and change the resume to match the advertisement).......been interviewed by several agencies who have promised to find me work (you're just what we're looking for).........been told I'm over qualified for junior entry positions....been told I've no Australian work experience for other posts (what came first the chook or the egg...no job no experience; no experience no job!!!!!) been told by bunnings that i do not have relevant experience to stack shelves or anything else in their huge diverse business.......have "cold called" countless firms and job agencies (yes we'll take your resume and contact you if anything comes up....HEY I'm still waiting).......had the stuck up receptionist at Hudson's in Collins St tell me "no you cannot leave your resume go home and email it to us" stuck up bit#h!!!........even tried the Yoser Hughes (boys from the black stuff) approach "go on gis a job, I can do that, go on gis it"........the help from my friends has been great but I think even now they are getting bored with it my friends have gone above and beyond the call , reading job ads to me so I can apply checking their versions of the leader and asking where they work but all to no avail.....I do not have a "trade" i was a postman then manager for the 17 years and hated the last 6, it was one of the major reasons to come to Aus so NO i do not want to work for Aus Post as I may as well go back to the UK.
So if anyone knows the secret to getting a job please let me know.


Things take longer here, sons electrical apprenticeship took 5 months of interviews, medicals, and exams, he already had grade 12 excellent pass and a 2 years business studies, on site trade experience, was armed with car tools and a pre vocational course. Hundreds applied for a handful of jobs. (Brisbane) Yet australia is supposidly screaming for tradesmen (its not really, but there is a great shotage outback). It takes time and persistance.

But the number one thing seems to be meet aussies, i dont think most jobs are ever advertised, its who you know, and usually the aussies will be the ones employing people, get to know them,
jad n rich is offline  
Old May 10th 2006, 7:35 am
  #4  
.
 
fraser's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 21,374
fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JOBS......where for art thou????????

Ditto mate, with the job scene. I was also a postie many moons ago

Good luck with it all
fraser is offline  
Old May 10th 2006, 7:46 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
kulu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Coolum Beach, Qld
Posts: 215
kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of
Default Re: JOBS......where for art thou????????

I sympathise totally with this as my husband has been through the same thing. As Jad n Rich said you have to network. That was how my husband got his job having done all the same things you have, it came down to a friend of a friend needing someone with his experience. So many people I know got work this way and that's Aussie friends as well as Brits. It's tough but it pays off.
kulu is offline  
Old May 10th 2006, 7:48 am
  #6  
.
 
fraser's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 21,374
fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JOBS......where for art thou????????

Originally Posted by kulu
I sympathise totally with this as my husband has been through the same thing. As Jad n Rich said you have to network. That was how my husband got his job having done all the same things you have, it came down to a friend of a friend needing someone with his experience. So many people I know got work this way and that's Aussie friends as well as Brits. It's tough but it pays off.
It's a bit hard to network when you're not meeting anyone, we've been here nearly 9 months and we don't get out as no work so no money or networking.
fraser is offline  
Old May 10th 2006, 10:23 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
neilvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: tween a rock and hard place
Posts: 30
neilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud of
Default Re: JOBS......where for art thou????????

Originally Posted by gunitm
Since u have'nt mentioned ur age, i'm at a bit of a handicap. Trying doing Pizza delivery till the time u don't find something that catches ur fancy. When i came here 40 months back i was advised to "dumb down". I did that. Have 2 jobs - 1 full time and the other part time. And i know how they throw the "not having Ozzy experience" thing.
I'm 38, two kids 10 & 7 and a wife who is a nurse.
Due to her shifts the local pizza shop didnt want to employ me as one week i could work friday and saturday, as she was home and the next I couldn't as she was in work. it was too much trouble for them.
I do change (tweak) my resume with every job even if it means dumbing down. I have even totally removed that fact I was a manager for some jobs.
Thanks for the reply
neilvic is offline  
Old May 10th 2006, 10:32 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
neilvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: tween a rock and hard place
Posts: 30
neilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud of
Default Re: JOBS......where for art thou????????

Originally Posted by fraser
It's a bit hard to network when you're not meeting anyone, we've been here nearly 9 months and we don't get out as no work so no money or networking.
TRUE !!!

I enrolled my son in the local soccer team for that reason it cost $125 (no beer since) and the other dads are great two of which are poms one is from norway one from hungry and guess what 2 of them cant find work either. The aussie dads are great, one is a copper, and the rest are all tradies and I'm not qualified to change a plug let alone anything else.

here's the best bit about being skint, we're currently on a 457 and have had our 136 PR visa approved but we have to leave the country and return to validate it and guess what. ..... cant even afford the bus fare to the airport let alone the airfare!!!! I'm told my prospects will improve if I have the 136, bit of a catch 22 wouldn't you say.

Hey and finally Fraser "come on you IRONS"
neilvic is offline  
Old May 10th 2006, 11:04 am
  #9  
.
 
fraser's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 21,374
fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JOBS......where for art thou????????

Originally Posted by neilvic
TRUE !!!

I enrolled my son in the local soccer team for that reason it cost $125 (no beer since) and the other dads are great two of which are poms one is from norway one from hungry and guess what 2 of them cant find work either. The aussie dads are great, one is a copper, and the rest are all tradies and I'm not qualified to change a plug let alone anything else.

here's the best bit about being skint, we're currently on a 457 and have had our 136 PR visa approved but we have to leave the country and return to validate it and guess what. ..... cant even afford the bus fare to the airport let alone the airfare!!!! I'm told my prospects will improve if I have the 136, bit of a catch 22 wouldn't you say.

Hey and finally Fraser "come on you IRONS"

Mine are 4 and 2 so too young to do anything.

Yep come on you irons!!!

fraser is offline  
Old May 10th 2006, 11:16 am
  #10  
?????????
 
paulf's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 1,974
paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: JOBS......where for art thou????????

Originally Posted by neilvic
TRUE !!!

I enrolled my son in the local soccer team for that reason it cost $125 (no beer since) and the other dads are great two of which are poms one is from norway one from hungry and guess what 2 of them cant find work either. The aussie dads are great, one is a copper, and the rest are all tradies and I'm not qualified to change a plug let alone anything else.

here's the best bit about being skint, we're currently on a 457 and have had our 136 PR visa approved but we have to leave the country and return to validate it and guess what. ..... cant even afford the bus fare to the airport let alone the airfare!!!! I'm told my prospects will improve if I have the 136, bit of a catch 22 wouldn't you say.

Hey and finally Fraser "come on you IRONS"
It's a hard old slog getting started here.
I went 6 weeks without a job offer so I phoned literally every Tafe in qld to find out what training I could do, I signed up for a welding course (oxy/ace) which was just one evening a week for 10 weeks at a cost of $120, the next day the lady who signed me up suggested a name and number of a chap who runs accelerated apprenticeships, brilliant bloke got me sorted onto the course just two days later, so in just six moths from now I will have a cert II welding and be in demand again.
I,m now applying for another adult accelerated welding apprenticeship which pays a very healthy $30 an hour while training, remote working though but it offers a FULL tradesman cert III at the end of 12 months, good bucks after that.
Good luck.
the company is Thiess in case any ones interested.
paulf is offline  
Old May 10th 2006, 11:20 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
neilvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: tween a rock and hard place
Posts: 30
neilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud of
Default Re: JOBS......where for art thou????????

Originally Posted by paulf
It's a hard old slog getting started here.
I went 6 weeks without a job offer so I phoned literally every Tafe in qld to find out what training I could do, I signed up for a welding course (oxy/ace) which was just one evening a week for 10 weeks at a cost of $120, the next day the lady who signed me up suggested a name and number of a chap who runs accelerated apprenticeships, brilliant bloke got me sorted onto the course just two days later, so in just six moths from now I will have a cert II welding and be in demand again.
I,m now applying for another adult accelerated welding apprenticeship which pays a very healthy $30 an hour while training, remote working though but it offers a FULL tradesman cert III at the end of 12 months, good bucks after that.
Good luck.
the company is Thiess in case any ones interested.
nice one Paul, will look into this. good luck mate
Neil
neilvic is offline  
Old May 10th 2006, 11:42 am
  #12  
TRF
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 37
TRF is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: JOBS......where for art thou????????

Just a thought! But one my in-Laws (40yrs old and a Sales manager for Industrial equipment) went to a Trade Fair up north somewhere to set-up a Trade table for his company back in January...He basically introduced himself to the guys on the next table, who were from Oz and said "Got any jobs out there".... He's working/living in Perth now on a SIR Visa.....
If you Don't ask you don't get I suppose.
TRF is offline  
Old May 10th 2006, 12:06 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
neilvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: tween a rock and hard place
Posts: 30
neilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud of
Default Re: JOBS......where for art thou????????

Originally Posted by TRF
Just a thought! But one my in-Laws (40yrs old and a Sales manager for Industrial equipment) went to a Trade Fair up north somewhere to set-up a Trade table for his company back in January...He basically introduced himself to the guys on the next table, who were from Oz and said "Got any jobs out there".... He's working/living in Perth now on a SIR Visa.....
If you Don't ask you don't get I suppose.

I know a guy walked off the street into a maintenance company 2 weeks after arriving in Aus just to leave his cv and walked out with a job.
I asked the guy that came to clean the carpets in our rental for a job and he said he admired me for asking but couldn't help, also asked the window cleaner down the street same response. i've put my best suit on, nice shirt (marks & sparks) and fronted up to business' and agencies, still waiting for emto get back to me. people are telling me it will be my turn to be in the right place at the right time soon and things happen for a reason well I'm waiting!!!!!!

Thanks for your response it certainly does give one hope.

Neil
neilvic is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.