Jobs / Wages thread - Part Two

Jobs / Wages thread - Part Two

Old Jan 25th 2009, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

ozzyhopefuls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jobs / Wages thread - Part Two

Hi people
first post here so be gentle.
Me & the OH are looking into beginning the migration process, but are undecided about how to begin.
I am currently working as a pdms piping designer, however this does not appear on the OIDL. I am led to believe that there is work in this field but does anyone have any experience in this area.
My apprenticeship & qualifications were in mechanical engineering & I have been working as a designer for 20 years.

Any help or comments gratefully recieved..

Tony & Sue
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:56 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzyhopefuls
Hi people
Me & the OH are looking into beginning the migration process, but are undecided about how to begin.
I am currently working as a pdms piping designer, however this does not appear on the OIDL. I am led to believe that there is work in this field but does anyone have any experience in this area.
My apprenticeship & qualifications were in mechanical engineering & I have been working as a designer for 20 years.

Tony & Sue
My husband is a PDMS administrator and designer. Work is slowing down here in Perth and there have been a lot of lay offs in recent weeks. Seek the advice of an agent. The job descriptions aren't cut and dry and I think my husbands ended up under some kind of Technicians description. Nothing to stop you starting the process but make sure you do a bit more research about jobs when the time comes to move.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

ozzyhopefuls is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
It seems my best option to seek advice of an agent & see how... or if I even qualify. Long way off looking for jobs yet...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:36 am
Just Joined

sonnyg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71
The market is still fairly buoyant too, the company I am with has 4 similar positions advertised and can't get the roles filled.
Hi,

I know that was a while ago, but are these positions still available?

My wife and I are planning to move to Australia around the middle of the year. Given the state of the economy, I have already started looking for jobs. Even if I don't find a job before then, hopefully I will have a better idea of how things are, and what to do when I get there.

I am a programmer with 6 years of experience. Most of it is in Java/J2EE with a smattering of Python/Ruby that I picked up over the years, and includes around 1.5 years as a team leader.
If any of the positions that you mentioned require these skills, I will be grateful if you can post a link here or PM me about it.

Cheers,
S.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Is it just me?

I read a variety of posts on here about people securing a job before they arrive in Australia.

I am a Marketing Manager and I have contacted a variety of agencies in Melbourne and applied directly for jobs yet the standard response is your resume looks great and we will certainly be able to help you when you're here but we can't do anything until you're "on the ground".

Is this just specific to my industry or am I approaching it the wrong way? We're looking to make the move in July 09 and it would be great to think I could secure a job for arriving.

I obviously plan on keeping in contact with these agencies and arranging appointments with them for my first week here so I can get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly received.

Thanks,

Colin
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

springoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant future

Hello all
I am a radiographer and OH a time served joiner with 20yrs experience. Hoping to go to QLD on a 175 (if/when it gets granted) before end of this year.
We are going on my skill but I have so far found it very hard to get an offer of employment as we have no dates as yet.
Not sure at all how easy/difficult it may be for OH to get work. Am busy researching now whether or not he needs licencing there before he can work. Have read on here that he can only work as a labourer? Not sure though.
If anyone could shed some light on this we would be very grateful indeed.
Ta very much
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:55 am
Just Joined

dreamingofoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I am an embedded firmware engineer working in embedded linux domain for over 10 years. I did lot of stuff related to 8/16/32 bit micro controller/processor programming in C/C++,JTAG,I2C,UART, hardware design, porting kernel,bootloader,GNU toolchain,shell scripting etc..

I have a stable job here in india earning around 3000AUD/month. After my high-school, i did my 3 year diploma and 1 year post diploma but i dont have a an engineering degree.

with these qualification, will this be a wise decision moving to OZ? I am not sure if OZ companies are interested in hiring non engineering graduate for such a job profile!

i am thinking of going through TRA skills assessment as a tradesperson...

anyone who can advise me on this?
thanks in advance for your valuable inputs..
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:23 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
Is it just me?

Is this just specific to my industry or am I approaching it the wrong way? We're looking to make the move in July 09 and it would be great to think I could secure a job for arriving.

Its not just you Colin and not just specific to your industry. A pretty standard response I'm afraid. All you can do is keep plugging away and fingers crossed that you can have something lined up before you arrive, but the reality is you may have to do the final work in securing the job when you get here. I went through it myself. Frustrating, but just part of the big adventure !
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:26 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Suggest you get a new job, minimum for an IT Architect would be $120K+ and that is pretty much backed up by the Hays survey.

Certain companies are actually doing very well, HP, IBM etc. Ring around a few recruiters and see what they are offering.

http://seek.com.au/users/apply/index...JobID=14658144
Yes, would concur also. Anything less than 120k (not incl Super) for an IT Architect role, would be an honest to god shafting.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:36 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
Is it just me?
As someone else said, it's not just you.

We arrived in May 2007 and my husband sent off quite a few resumes while waiting for the visa and after we had been granted the visa.

He is a mining engineer which at the time was very highly in demand and yet no one would take him seriously until we were in the country. Once we arrived he was offered two jobs about 2 weeks after he started looking. I have no idea what things would be like in the current environment though
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:43 am
Just Joined

IMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ozzyhopefuls
Hi people

Tony & Sue
Hi,
I too am a PDMS Piper, but with the economic crisis it has prevented me from making preparations to move to Australia, as I fear moving now could be a bad idea.
The project I am on In the UK is quite secure for the time being and there aren't really any lay offs yet, but a few companies have cut the rates.

Let me know how you get on guys.
And if anyone else is in this field in Australia, whats is the current situation?

Cheers
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Originally Posted by comet555
As someone else said, it's not just you.

We arrived in May 2007 and my husband sent off quite a few resumes while waiting for the visa and after we had been granted the visa.

He is a mining engineer which at the time was very highly in demand and yet no one would take him seriously until we were in the country. Once we arrived he was offered two jobs about 2 weeks after he started looking. I have no idea what things would be like in the current environment though
Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Its not just you Colin and not just specific to your industry. A pretty standard response I'm afraid. All you can do is keep plugging away and fingers crossed that you can have something lined up before you arrive, but the reality is you may have to do the final work in securing the job when you get here. I went through it myself. Frustrating, but just part of the big adventure !
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. No worries, I will keep plugging away, we're aiming for arrival in June 09 so I plan to bombard the agencies in the month running up to our arrival so I can arrange lots of meetings when we arriva so I can hopefully hit the ground running.

I keep checking mycareer, seek, careerone, etc. and there are plenty of roles in the fields I'm looking at (Marketing / Project Management) so I feel "fairly" confident of getting something within a couple of months of getting there.

Cheers,

Colin
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:31 am
Just Joined

chikicheeta is an unknown quantity at this point

any pastry cooks or cooks . please come out with your figures
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Horsecookie will become famous soon enough

Anyone know what Secondary School teachers earn (Art and Design/Design Technology) in the Perth Area?
Thanks