Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobs for the unwanted skilled person who is secondary applicant on the 457...

Jobs for the unwanted skilled person who is secondary applicant on the 457...

Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice
Default Jobs for the unwanted skilled person who is secondary applicant on the 457...

Hey again.. (i'm threading like a pro ere! )

Question which I hope someone can give me some insight to...

My OH is the wanted skilled person (nurse) going off to Adelaide with me in tow in December this year (all being well and visa going through going through okay without any hitches). I'm the 'unskilled' one I guess who has many many many years working as a customer advisor in a call centre (medical insurer/job centre-government and also in a general insurer), I noticed that Allianz have a massive call centre operation in Adelaide and was hoping to secure work with these guys (they have a really nice $40k salary package) however as i'll be on the old 457 (hopefully for a short time till we can secure PR) will I be treated as a backpacker in regards to prospective employment? Destined to pick fruit/handle outbound cold calling that pi**es off the aussie/pull pints/be a dogs body on a building site??

Just so you know i've done all these jobs whilst on a WHV back in 04-05!
As much as I said to friends that i'd shovel sh*t in a pig pen for the lifestyle that Australia offers i'm a tad worried I won't find anything solid!

Does anyone have insight to this or have any stories please?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of
Default Re: Jobs for the unwanted skilled person who is secondary applicant on the 457...

Glad to hear the application is going smoothly.

In theory, no you shouldn't be treated like that at all. In reality, it will come down to a prospective employer understanding that you have no work limitations on your visa. I don't know for sure, but a big company like Allianz may have their own in-house migration section to refer to. If so, you shouldn't have any problems.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs for the unwanted skilled person who is secondary applicant on the 457...

The only problem you may find is that certain jobs are only open to PR and especially citizens - mainly security and government jobs.

My wife (also the 'unskilled') got offered a good perminant accounts/credit control job within a week of arriving, no special conditions, no trial period, just a proper job straight off.

So I don't think you will have any problems...she made a note on her CV/Resume that she had a 457 visa and when it was valid until.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
The only problem you may find is that certain jobs are only open to PR and especially citizens - mainly security and government jobs.
Not just these jobs - some employers don't want to hire temporary residents for permanent jobs.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not just these jobs - some employers don't want to hire temporary residents for permanent jobs.
True, but I think generally there is enough work out there and demand that you'll find somebody who will.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 11:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam76
Hey again.. (i'm threading like a pro ere! )

Question which I hope someone can give me some insight to...

My OH is the wanted skilled person (nurse) going off to Adelaide with me in tow in December this year (all being well and visa going through going through okay without any hitches). I'm the 'unskilled' one I guess who has many many many years working as a customer advisor in a call centre (medical insurer/job centre-government and also in a general insurer), I noticed that Allianz have a massive call centre operation in Adelaide and was hoping to secure work with these guys (they have a really nice $40k salary package) however as i'll be on the old 457 (hopefully for a short time till we can secure PR) will I be treated as a backpacker in regards to prospective employment? Destined to pick fruit/handle outbound cold calling that pi**es off the aussie/pull pints/be a dogs body on a building site??

Just so you know i've done all these jobs whilst on a WHV back in 04-05!
As much as I said to friends that i'd shovel sh*t in a pig pen for the lifestyle that Australia offers i'm a tad worried I won't find anything solid!

Does anyone have insight to this or have any stories please?
Have sent you a PM with the name of a recruitment agency that deals almost exclusively with call centre and admin work. You shouldn't have any problem getting work if you have the experience.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:27 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I'm the main applicant in our 457, and whilst my wife hasn't got a job yet (not trying yet) she has far fewer restrictions on where she can work. The biggest issue you'll find is if UK qualifications are valid over here, and what the process is for transferring them to Aus standards.

Usually they use challenge testing, eg a mechanic will be asked to change a clutch to prove his skills. Don't know how this would work if you were a surgeon though lol

Go for the call centre job, what you got to lose.

Good luck

Steve n sanj
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Thanks for all your opinions on this one. Appreciated! Roll the dice and take my chances!