British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Jobs for over 60s? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/jobs-over-60s-810268/)

jasey Sep 25th 2013 6:16 am

Jobs for over 60s?

Hi guys

Do any of you have any experiences to share of work available for over 60s in Sydney or Melbourne? I'm not asking about any specific jobs available right now, just more about the chances of getting work for someone over 60. This would be for my mom, who would be joining me as a dependant parent and would therefore have a PR visa and would be eligible to work.

She's more than capable, has run her own businesses, just sold part of a startup and is not 'old' by any means. In South Africa there is just no chance of her getting decent work for a decent monthly salary, just because of her age.

Thanks so much!

old.sparkles Sep 25th 2013 6:21 am

Re: Jobs for over 60s?

Originally Posted by jasey (Post 10916782)
Hi guys

Do any of you have any experiences to share of work available for over 60s in Sydney or Melbourne? I'm not asking about any specific jobs available right now, just more about the chances of getting work for someone over 60. This would be for my mom, who would be joining me as a dependant parent and would therefore have a PR visa and would be eligible to work.

She's more than capable, has run her own businesses, just sold part of a startup and is not 'old' by any means. In South Africa there is just no chance of her getting decent work for a decent monthly salary, just because of her age.

Thanks so much!

Not an answer to your question - but if your mum is capable and runs her own business, how does that make her dependant on you?

jasey Sep 25th 2013 6:24 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 10916787)
Not an answer to your question - but if your mum is capable and runs her own business, how does that make her dependant on you?

The dependency requirement is for the last 12 months, which she has been (a little longer actually) since leaving the last business she co-founded. She has no further funds to start another business, and can't find an employer willing to take her on at her age. Hence the question.

old.sparkles Sep 25th 2013 6:28 am

Originally Posted by jasey (Post 10916791)
The dependency requirement is for the last 12 months, which she has been (a little longer actually) since leaving the last business she co-founded. She has no further funds to start another business, and can't find an employer willing to take her on at her age. Hence the question.

But being unemployed doesn't make her a dependant either - I don't know about benefits in SA, but it may be worth having a chat with a MARA agent to ensure that she can be included

jasey Sep 25th 2013 6:31 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 10916793)
But being unemployed doesn't make her a dependant either - I don't know about benefits in SA, but it may be worth having a chat with a MARA agent to ensure that she can be included

Thanks for this, and I have already done so. Pension in South Africa is roughly $100 per month. That can't come close to covering an electricity bill, never mind the rest of utilities, medical aid, rent!!!, groceries etc etc. She definitely qualifies - I'm just trying to determine whether the business world in Australia welcomes older workers.

old.sparkles Sep 25th 2013 6:36 am

Originally Posted by jasey (Post 10916796)
Thanks for this, and I have already done so. Pension in South Africa is roughly $100 per month. That can't come close to covering an electricity bill, never mind the rest of utilities, medical aid, rent!!!, groceries etc etc. She definitely qualifies - I'm just trying to determine whether the business world in Australia welcomes older workers.

If you are right, and she qualifies, what skills does she have? I think most people will tell you that finding work at any age can be difficult, and there was a recent thread from another member on a parent visa struggling to find work.

jasey Sep 25th 2013 6:40 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 10916802)
If you are right, and she qualifies, what skills does she have? I think most people will tell you that finding work at any age can be difficult, and there was a recent thread from another member on a parent visa struggling to find work.

She has decades of logistical/shipping/freight management experience, along with a decade or so of online/web experience. In South Africa, they won't even look at a CV if you're over 50/55. I'm trying to determine whether this exists as predominantly in Aus as it does here.

old.sparkles Sep 25th 2013 6:46 am

Originally Posted by jasey (Post 10916813)
She has decades of logistical/shipping/freight management experience, along with a decade or so of online/web experience. In South Africa, they won't even look at a CV if you're over 50/55. I'm trying to determine whether this exists as predominantly in Aus as it does here.

I do know that you do not have to include your age or DOB on your resume so that will help.

jasey Sep 25th 2013 6:48 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 10916816)
I do know that you do not have to include your age or DOB on your resume so that will help.

Great, that's a good piece of info to know. Thank you :)

Grayling Sep 25th 2013 8:42 am

Originally Posted by jasey (Post 10916791)

Has she actually got the visa yet?

The Bloke Sep 25th 2013 9:46 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 10916816)

True, but they don't have to be rocket scientists to work out a rough age from the length of time in different jobs on you CV.

old.sparkles Sep 25th 2013 9:50 am

Originally Posted by The Bloke (Post 10917021)
True, but they don't have to be rocket scientists to work out a rough age from the length of time in different jobs on you CV.

Also true, but if you were late joining the work force or later studying it's not so easy. Plus there are some jobs I've never included on my CV as they're not relevant, so not clear when I started work or how old I am from my CV.

Bermudashorts Sep 25th 2013 9:51 am

Originally Posted by jasey (Post 10916813)

In a nutshell, yes, I would expect she will find it just as problematic.

Dorothy Sep 25th 2013 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 10916950)
Has she actually got the visa yet?

I'm thinking not based on the OP's other posts looking at moving to UK, Ireland ans Gibraltar.

quoll Sep 25th 2013 10:51 am

Where are you? If she's dependent on you then she'd be living with you, surely? What does your local environment do for older people? But, yes, she's going to find it nigh on impossible - they are doing logistics degrees these days down at MIT so she'd be in competition with a load of bright young things - just as ageist as SA from the sound of it - over 50, over the hill!