Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobs in Not for Profit Sector

Jobs in Not for Profit Sector

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice
Default Jobs in Not for Profit Sector

Hi all,

I am heading over to Oz in June and want to start looking for Jobs in and around Adelaide.

I currently work as Regional Manager for Make-A-Wish Foundation UK and am looking to continue my charity work when I get over to Oz. Ideally i'd be looking for work in a charity that deals with children, animals, aboriginal communities or the thrid world but I have no idea how to start! I've signed up for a few of the job sites but they group their not for profit jobs with community and sport so i'm constantly being e-mailed sports jobs and telesales and it's driving me potty.

Has anyone got a similar job and can tell me where to start my search from the UK? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Also if you know what papers I could look in for this kind of job once i'm over in Adelaide then that'd be great too?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs in Not for Profit Sector

Originally Posted by natalieml
Hi all,

I am heading over to Oz in June and want to start looking for Jobs in and around Adelaide.

I currently work as Regional Manager for Make-A-Wish Foundation UK and am looking to continue my charity work when I get over to Oz. Ideally i'd be looking for work in a charity that deals with children, animals, aboriginal communities or the thrid world but I have no idea how to start! I've signed up for a few of the job sites but they group their not for profit jobs with community and sport so i'm constantly being e-mailed sports jobs and telesales and it's driving me potty.

Has anyone got a similar job and can tell me where to start my search from the UK? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Also if you know what papers I could look in for this kind of job once i'm over in Adelaide then that'd be great too?

Thanks in advance
They are usually just advertised in the paper (the Advertiser) here. Job day in there is Saturday.

Just found this site on google http://www.nfpjobs.com.au/
Not many jobs on there though
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
They are usually just advertised in the paper (the Advertiser) here. Job day in there is Saturday.

Just found this site on google http://www.nfpjobs.com.au/
Not many jobs on there though
Thanks Wendy - i'm still trawling the web! Seek.com has a lot of the advertiser adverts so that's great that I know they're the right ones - thanks!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Wendy - i'm still trawling the web! Seek.com has a lot of the advertiser adverts so that's great that I know they're the right ones - thanks!

I think most of the Advertiser jobs are on there. There's also www.careerone.com.au - they are really the main two job sites here.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I work in the charity sector here - the word of mouth thing is very strong. Even if you cant spot anything on any of the big job sites, the local rag will have them in the sits vac and there is often a local community sector email group which tends to advertise vacancies maybe a bit before they hit the papers. Getting yourself out there and maybe hunting down some volunteer work in an area you fancy will get your feet on the ground and help you network.

BTW as a heads up, many charities have excellent salary sacrificing arrangements - it sort of compensates for the lousy pay rates.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
I work in the charity sector here - the word of mouth thing is very strong. Even if you cant spot anything on any of the big job sites, the local rag will have them in the sits vac and there is often a local community sector email group which tends to advertise vacancies maybe a bit before they hit the papers. Getting yourself out there and maybe hunting down some volunteer work in an area you fancy will get your feet on the ground and help you network.

BTW as a heads up, many charities have excellent salary sacrificing arrangements - it sort of compensates for the lousy pay rates.
Thanks Quoll - that's really helpful! It's lousy pay in the charity sector which ever country you're in I believe so unfortunately i'm prepared for this

Would you say it would be worth e-mailing some of the chairities I like the look of my CV prior to me getting there even though they're not advertising at the mo?

Thanks
Natalie
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Do you think it's worth me e-mailing some of the larger charities based in Adelaide (where i'm heading) my CV so as they have it on file in case anything suitable comes up?

Does anyone have any knowledge of any charities working to support 3rd world countries based in or near to Adelaide?

Also, can anyone tell me if the charity sector are struggling because of the beginings of a recession or do they all seem to still be ticking along nicely and still hiring poeple?

Thanks
x
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Def worth ringing/emailing, calling in in person!

Only 17% of jobs are advertised in the paper so networking is the key!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by homewardbound
Def worth ringing/emailing, calling in in person!

Only 17% of jobs are advertised in the paper so networking is the key!
The only problem is networking from the uk Thanks for the advice!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Hi

I work for a non for profit organization and things seem to be going well, i work in Qld and we often have difficulty finding long term staff due to lower pay, with the unemployment rates rising we have had and increase in people applying for jobs.

I came on a independent skilled workers visa as a welfare worker and have found work easily, most agencies tend to take staff on a casual basis then offer a permanent position later. ( worked as an area mananger in the UK)

Salary sacrifice tops up your wages, but some agencies only offer this to staff on certain levels.

minibelle
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much - that's really helpful. I have started to stress that i'm not going to find a job but I think I just need to wait until I get to Oz and then start looking properly, in the mean time i'm signed up to every job search website I can find
Old Mar 13th 2009, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Hi

I worked for a charity in the UK, before I left I lined up some voluntary work for a similar charity in Adelaide and was in the right place at the right time when someone left and was offered her job (which was not advertised). I think this would be a good way in for you also and even if you don't find paid work out of it would look good on your CV.

Good luck