Reload this Page >

Jobs in Melbourne

Jobs in Melbourne

Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Inigma81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs in Melbourne

Hey,

I was wondering of you could all help. I have a friend who has moved to Melbourne to study part time and work part time (lucky girl has dual nationality). She has been back for 4 weeks and isn't having much luck finding work, she is mainly looking for office admin work. I have been following Melbourne through work and have seen the job losses at Hastie etc etc, I know the majority of work is in Western Australia in the mines, and I know the government have some questionable methodology in calculating unemployment figures, but unemployment at 4.9% in this day and age is splendid! However I have been reading up about public sector cuts and QANTAS sucking the big one and ANZ outsourcing jobs, so I don't know what to believe.
What I want to know is that she is going to be ok and you guys are going to tell me there are plenty of jobs and she will be ok, I am due to fly out and visit at the end of the month and I need to know what level of support I need to give.

Cheers guys
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs in Melbourne

Part time admin work is very much sought after. I advertised for a part time assistant once and had hundreds of applications, obviously could be partly due to my reputation but still there is genuinely a lot of competition for this type of work.

"The majority of work is in WA in the mines"? What an odd statement, definitely the majority of us downunder do not work in WA in the mines.

I am sure that both of you will find work eventually, everyone does, four weeks is not very long.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Inigma81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jobs in Melbourne

Sorry, I'm used to reading Bloomberg data and it's always Rio Tinto creating 6000 new contracts. I know you aren't a complete nation of miners! I'm only going out for a couple of weeks to check up on her, I know the job situation is iffy in NSW and VIC because I tried emailing my CV to agencies to see what work I could get with the hope of sponsorship and they all came back saying that full time and part time work in the financial sector is tough. I'm going to leave it 5 years before I emigrate, hopefully house prices will have come down a bit and the ASX ex mining job prospects will be a bit rosier.

I was just wondering how tough my friend was going to find it, she wants to study and reading up about the cuts to TAFE is also a concern.

Crazy crazy times.