Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobs, Jobs, and more Jobs.

Wikiposts

Jobs, Jobs, and more Jobs.

Old Jun 2nd 2003, 10:38 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Wilf
Your career is too vulnerable. Find another.
Or scratch your way to the top of the dung heap.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 10:41 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
They do. But you don't do them. Yet.
I don't think so. And even if I did...so what? At least it shows a willingness to work.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vee
I don't think so. And even if I did...so what? At least it shows a willingness to work.
Then you will be very happy with Australia.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 1:49 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Vee
Oh yeah, they don't have jobs like that here in the UK.

No but thats all you will get here.

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jobs, Jobs, and more Jobs.

Originally posted by dotty
Last weeks posts regarding job difficulties surprised me, I think its looking at your new countries needs, being open to new careers if necessary. This is some advice I got from a guy we know who works in an employment service here. Just asked him where are the jobs...

Queensland is in dire need of 40,000 childcare places, working parents just cant find childcare. (Aus has a stupid system where people who dont work, wont work can get childcare for about $8 a day so childcare centres are full to the brim and although most taxpayers object to such welfare handouts it looks set to continue). This means jobs, anyone coming here could be looking at chilcare centres, setting up family day (home) care.

People are waiting up to 18 months to be able to build a home due to the severe shortage of carpenters, bricklayers, labourers etc. Fencing contractors, surely you cant need much skill for that one!

Hospitality, Much of QLD main industry is Tourism, come October they take on thousands of workers.

Care assistants for the elderly, heaps of work.

Outback country towns, screaming for workers, just so hard to
get anybody to move out of the suburbs and into real OZ but for those who will jobs are there.

The jobs are there, perhaps the key is looking at new fields.
Dotty, you're starting to sound like Norman Tebbit and his dad. Perhaps you'd like to post the salaries of these wonderful jobs.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 3:18 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

If you're in the building/construction trade I can't see how you can not find a job in a Brisbane due to this building boom here. You've only got to open the courier mail on a Saturday - there are pages of jobs for the building industry in Brisbane, from brick layers, carpenters, plumbers to building supervisors and managers.
This is one field that there seems to be plenty of jobs here for - IT no, if you look through the paper that seems to be one of the least amount jobs in the Brisbane area

Here I've got last Saturdays paper here in the office - here's one which has the wage on( most of them don't state the pay):
Construction manager
Required for residential design and construct company. Applicants need ability to manage construction supervisors, contractors, staff. Builders licence an advantage (that's a bit worrying - do you not need a licence for this then?) offer is 100k package - be careful they usually bump things up by adding a vehicle (use of vehicle which is normally a company ute... translated -a pick up ) , easytoll (bridge pass) , tools and such to get this figure - that's how we bump up our workers wages.

Anyway there are 6 pages of "Technical and Trade" jobs in last weeks paper.
4 pages of mining/Engineering
5 pages of Medical jobs
11 pages of key appointments
4 pages of "teaching"
2 pages of hospitality Tourism (chefs and bar work mostly)
5 pages of office clerical
6 pages of Professions (lawyers, youth workers counsellors , etc etc)
7 pages of Marketing sales

etc, etc - left some out like the government jobs etc

IT seems though to have the very least amount of jobs in the Brisbane area , it has only half a page ( only 13 jobs - they are big adverts filling up the half a page)

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 3rd 2003 at 3:28 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by etlniwd
Dotty, you're starting to sound like Norman Tebbit and his dad. Perhaps you'd like to post the salaries of these wonderful jobs.
What the heck is a Norman Tebbit?

Apart from that I will try to answer a few questions. I would imagine Nurses are in Demand just as much in OZ as any other country on the Planet.

Teachers in Qld have to serve Country Service (Remote and isolated areas) for three years, but that does not apply to Private school system.

As Ceri said most building trades in demand.

Wages, Care workers $17 hour, Hospitality $15, Building workers usually on contract, but if you can strike hourly approx $30, Child care, based from home, they charge about $4 hour per child and have up to 4 at a time plus after school kids, I actually know two ladies here doing this and they make a packet, even having overnight kids, $800 week is what one told me a year ago.

Look just cause OZ is not my cup of tea, I still fail to see it as a place where you cannot get on. My husband and I moved up to the Sunshine Coast from Bris and previous Sydney as we could see so many did not want to work and that makes very good opportunities for those who do. Not so much wages type more setting up your own business. Sure it takes time, and emigrating to any country you loose contacts, history, local knowledge etc and it sets you back but not for ever. You just have to be very open to trends and opportunites in your new area. Thats hard work but many say they are only looking for part time work so no doubt the above suggestions would suit some any way.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

javajavajava is an unknown quantity at this point

Apart from that I will try to answer a few questions. I would imagine Nurses are in Demand just as much in OZ as any other country on the Planet.

Teachers in Qld have to serve Country Service (Remote and isolated areas) for three years, but that does not apply to Private school system.

As Ceri said most building trades in demand.

Wages, Care workers $17 hour, Hospitality $15, Building workers usually on contract, but if you can strike hourly approx $30, Child care, based from home, they charge about $4 hour per child and have up to 4 at a time plus after school kids, I actually know two ladies here doing this and they make a packet, even having overnight kids, $800 week is what one told me a year ago.

Look just cause OZ is not my cup of tea, I still fail to see it as a place where you cannot get on. My husband and I moved up to the Sunshine Coast from Bris and previous Sydney as we could see so many did not want to work and that makes very good opportunities for those who do. Not so much wages type more setting up your own business. Sure it takes time, and emigrating to any country you loose contacts, history, local knowledge etc and it sets you back but not for ever. You just have to be very open to trends and opportunites in your new area. Thats hard work but many say they are only looking for part time work so no doubt the above suggestions would suit some any way.
funny how when Wilf logs out, Dotty logs in...........

normally Dotty is on here all day.......funny that
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 4:50 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

The rise of the New Right

The watershed came in 1979 and 1980 with the election first of Margaret Thatcher and then of Ronald Reagan - politicians from the New Right, who enthusiastically advocated the free market and were determinedly hostile to the concept of an
interventionist state. Rejecting Keynesianism, the grocer's daughter and the Hollywood actor embraced the views of economists such as Milton Friedman and Friedrich Hayek. These economists didn't dispute that markets could and did fail; but they believed that the free market was capable of allocating goods and services more effectively than the state could, and that government attempts to combat market failures did more harm than good. They harked back to the ideas that had shaped economic policy from the Victorian era through to the Wall Street crash, that 'The role of the state was to enforce contracts, to supply sound money . . . to ensure that market forces were not distorted and, essentially, to provide the best environment for business to flourish, evoking memories of the 1920s US President Calvin Coolidge's dictum, 'The business of America is business.'
The extent to which this new religion embodied a coherent ideology, a creed of Reaganism or Thatcherism which could be adopted by other states, remains a matter of dispute. The two leaders' goals and priorities were often different. Thatcher adopted monetarism - emphasising tight control of the money supply - whereas the Reagan administration was dominated by supply-side economists, who advocated tax cuts to give the greatest incentive to production. But there were themes running through the policies of Reagan and Thatcher that gave a discernible character to their politics, and made it possible to identify their followers in other countries. Their views are easiest to define in the negative: as a rejection of all the pillars of the post-war Keynesian consensus. In place of the goals of full employment and a generous welfare state, the New Right favoured the reduction of inflation and cuts in public spending (which they regarded as a major cause of the current economic malaise); rather than a mixed economy, they wanted the state cut back to its core, with many of its functions privatised or contracted out.

The New Right felt that too much had been expected from government in the post-war period. Its view was that the role of government should be to alleviate the worst evils of the human lot and provide a framework within which people and communities could pursue their various goals - not, as in previous decades, to positively guarantee general welfare. John Moore, Thatcher's Social Services Secretary, explained in 1987: 'For more than a quarter of a century after the last war public opinion in Britain, encouraged by politicians, travelled down the aberrant path towards even more dependence on an even more powerful state. Under the guise of compassion people were encouraged to see themselves as "victims of circumstance". According to the New Right, the welfare mentality had bred indolence and dependency.

Under these new leaders there was a clear shift of priorities. Interdependence was replaced by independence and egalitarianism was rejected on ideological grounds: the state was no longer to have a role to play in redistributing wealth. Relative standards of poverty were deemed irrelevant; poverty was to be defined by absolute standards of need. As Thatcher argued in 1985, 'You are not doing anything against the poor by seeing that the top people are paid well. And the state no longer accepted responsibility to provide unquestioning support for those who for whatever reason were denied an ability to be productive. In 1981, in the aftermath of the Brixton riots, Norman Tebbit, the then Secretary of State for Employment, made the infamous assertion that 'My father didn't riot but got on his bike to look for work. 'Get on your bike' became the moral imperative of Thatcherism.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
The rise of the New Right

The watershed came in 1979 and 1980 with the election first of Margaret Thatcher and then of Ronald Reagan - politicians from the New Right, who enthusiastically advocated the free market and were determinedly hostile to the concept of an
interventionist state. Rejecting Keynesianism, the grocer's daughter and the Hollywood actor embraced the views of economists such as Milton Friedman and Friedrich Hayek. These economists didn't dispute that markets could and did fail; but they believed that the free market was capable of allocating goods and services more effectively than the state could, and that government attempts to combat market failures did more harm than good. They harked back to the ideas that had shaped economic policy from the Victorian era through to the Wall Street crash, that 'The role of the state was to enforce contracts, to supply sound money . . . to ensure that market forces were not distorted and, essentially, to provide the best environment for business to flourish, evoking memories of the 1920s US President Calvin Coolidge's dictum, 'The business of America is business.'
The extent to which this new religion embodied a coherent ideology, a creed of Reaganism or Thatcherism which could be adopted by other states, remains a matter of dispute. The two leaders' goals and priorities were often different. Thatcher adopted monetarism - emphasising tight control of the money supply - whereas the Reagan administration was dominated by supply-side economists, who advocated tax cuts to give the greatest incentive to production. But there were themes running through the policies of Reagan and Thatcher that gave a discernible character to their politics, and made it possible to identify their followers in other countries. Their views are easiest to define in the negative: as a rejection of all the pillars of the post-war Keynesian consensus. In place of the goals of full employment and a generous welfare state, the New Right favoured the reduction of inflation and cuts in public spending (which they regarded as a major cause of the current economic malaise); rather than a mixed economy, they wanted the state cut back to its core, with many of its functions privatised or contracted out.

The New Right felt that too much had been expected from government in the post-war period. Its view was that the role of government should be to alleviate the worst evils of the human lot and provide a framework within which people and communities could pursue their various goals - not, as in previous decades, to positively guarantee general welfare. John Moore, Thatcher's Social Services Secretary, explained in 1987: 'For more than a quarter of a century after the last war public opinion in Britain, encouraged by politicians, travelled down the aberrant path towards even more dependence on an even more powerful state. Under the guise of compassion people were encouraged to see themselves as "victims of circumstance". According to the New Right, the welfare mentality had bred indolence and dependency.

Under these new leaders there was a clear shift of priorities. Interdependence was replaced by independence and egalitarianism was rejected on ideological grounds: the state was no longer to have a role to play in redistributing wealth. Relative standards of poverty were deemed irrelevant; poverty was to be defined by absolute standards of need. As Thatcher argued in 1985, 'You are not doing anything against the poor by seeing that the top people are paid well. And the state no longer accepted responsibility to provide unquestioning support for those who for whatever reason were denied an ability to be productive. In 1981, in the aftermath of the Brixton riots, Norman Tebbit, the then Secretary of State for Employment, made the infamous assertion that 'My father didn't riot but got on his bike to look for work. 'Get on your bike' became the moral imperative of Thatcherism.
Blimey are your fingers sore after typing that! Thank you anyway I must have been out nightclubbing in that era not paying attention to politics.

I like the get on your bike and look for work bit tho, I might make a plaque and carry it around the shops tomorrow which is Dole day here, the shops fill with horribly fat people spending my tax dollars on KFC.

Perhaps I'll email this to Johnny Howard, hes supposed to be looking at the Welfare Mentality here.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

javajavajava is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Have to agree there are pages of jobs in the papers here ( perth ) the problem is actually getting one !!!!! I know people in all sectors that have applied for stacks of jobs and no luck .Bringing up a family i thought id have no problem working around them in what i had done in the UK retail , well i apply and apply and apply , but nope no joy. I have had 15 years experience , i even applied for a garden centre job looking after plants , they take your number etc never get back to you ,then you see it re advertised !!! So im at tafe doing travel and tourism for 2 years , but dont hold out alot of hope for a job !! I got the kids a paper round , perhaps i should take on a few of them. Paul has no problem with finding work , hes a brickie but i can say he does not earn $30 an hour , less!!! Would be nice if he did.
Joanne and paul
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by javajavajava

Sorry Mate I am not Wilf, der could he perhaps be one of the other 11500 odd members here?
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

megawho is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Mate I am not Wilf, der could he perhaps be one of the other 11500 odd members here?
Is it just me, or has there been a proliferation of 'wacko' posters recently. Entire threads seem to get taken over by people you've never heard off....
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jopaulss
Have to agree there are pages of jobs in the papers here ( perth ) the problem is actually getting one !!!!! I know people in all sectors that have applied for stacks of jobs and no luck .Bringing up a family i thought id have no problem working around them in what i had done in the UK retail , well i apply and apply and apply , but nope no joy. I have had 15 years experience , i even applied for a garden centre job looking after plants , they take your number etc never get back to you ,then you see it re advertised !!! So im at tafe doing travel and tourism for 2 years , but dont hold out alot of hope for a job !! I got the kids a paper round , perhaps i should take on a few of them. Paul has no problem with finding work , hes a brickie but i can say he does not earn $30 an hour , less!!! Would be nice if he did.
Joanne and paul
This is the WA I recognise. I have been in Oz a long time and have seen things get very hard for immos, even English speaking ones. You have my sympathies.
It is lousy I know, but have you thought of cleaning? I have known a few who had to start there - sadly, some who got stuck there too, even with shop experience like you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.