Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobs, Jobs, and more Jobs.

Jobs, Jobs, and more Jobs.

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Jobs, Jobs, and more Jobs.

Last weeks posts regarding job difficulties surprised me, I think its looking at your new countries needs, being open to new careers if necessary. This is some advice I got from a guy we know who works in an employment service here. Just asked him where are the jobs...

Queensland is in dire need of 40,000 childcare places, working parents just cant find childcare. (Aus has a stupid system where people who dont work, wont work can get childcare for about $8 a day so childcare centres are full to the brim and although most taxpayers object to such welfare handouts it looks set to continue). This means jobs, anyone coming here could be looking at chilcare centres, setting up family day (home) care.

People are waiting up to 18 months to be able to build a home due to the severe shortage of carpenters, bricklayers, labourers etc. Fencing contractors, surely you cant need much skill for that one!

Hospitality, Much of QLD main industry is Tourism, come October they take on thousands of workers.

Care assistants for the elderly, heaps of work.

Outback country towns, screaming for workers, just so hard to
get anybody to move out of the suburbs and into real OZ but for those who will jobs are there.

The jobs are there, perhaps the key is looking at new fields.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 1:08 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs, Jobs, and more Jobs.

Originally posted by dotty

get anybody to move out of the suburbs and into real OZ but for those who will jobs are there.

You are right what Pom would live in the so called countryside here , they all want the suburbia they claim to be running away from?

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 9:17 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Last weeks posts regarding job difficulties surprised me, I think its looking at your new countries needs, being open to new careers if necessary. This is some advice I got from a guy we know who works in an employment service here. Just asked him where are the jobs...

Queensland is in dire need of 40,000 childcare places, working parents just cant find childcare. (Aus has a stupid system where people who dont work, wont work can get childcare for about $8 a day so childcare centres are full to the brim and although most taxpayers object to such welfare handouts it looks set to continue). This means jobs, anyone coming here could be looking at chilcare centres, setting up family day (home) care.

People are waiting up to 18 months to be able to build a home due to the severe shortage of carpenters, bricklayers, labourers etc. Fencing contractors, surely you cant need much skill for that one!

Hospitality, Much of QLD main industry is Tourism, come October they take on thousands of workers.

Dotty,

Thanks for that. Will show it to Mark who's wondering what to do when he gets out of the RN....We'd love to be in the country and I'm sure that Mark would find work. It's me as a solicitor who's going to struggle I think

Nicola
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 9:27 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Dotty

what is the situation like in QLD for carpet fitters? I am asuming that as there is a lot of building going on, there will be plenty of work for people like my husband, and also for painters and decorators, etc, but perhaps I should not be making this assumption?

Mel
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 9:43 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Dotty

Nice to hear some positive job news for a change.
It's a good point you made, that as "professionals" we can fall into the trap of only ever considering doing the same thing.

I can't wait to try something new, something more active and more varied than sitting behind a desk all flippin' day.

We're going to be very open minded about what we can do for work when we arrive over there and hopefully will find something that allows us to live outside of the burbs and into the wide open spaces a bit more.

Cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 9:44 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice Dotty. Is there a need though for nurses, midwifes, teachers? I am planning on a career change when I get there (would like to be a mid-wife). 4 years of hard work but oh well. Hubby not too sure what he would like to retrain as...he is currently in finance sector IT (and by the sounds of it things aren't good for his profession).

Thanks though for the posting.

V
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 9:45 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ohsohopeful
Thanks Dotty

Nice to hear some positive job news for a change.
It's a good point you made, that as "professionals" we can fall into the trap of only ever considering doing the same thing.

I can't wait to try something new, something more active and more varied than sitting behind a desk all flippin' day.

We're going to be very open minded about what we can do for work when we arrive over there and hopefully will find something that allows us to live outside of the burbs and into the wide open spaces a bit more.

Cheers

Same!!! This is what I meant to say!

V
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vee
Thanks for the advice Dotty. Is there a need though for nurses, midwifes, teachers? I am planning on a career change when I get there (would like to be a mid-wife). 4 years of hard work but oh well. Hubby not too sure what he would like to retrain as...he is currently in finance sector IT (and by the sounds of it things aren't good for his profession).

Thanks though for the posting.

V
Cleaning, call centres, cab driving, or retail. The land of low-skill, low-interest, low-paid opportunities.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 10:26 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Wilf
Cleaning, call centres, cab driving, or retail. The land of low-skill, low-interest, low-paid opportunities.

Oh yeah, they don't have jobs like that here in the UK.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Vee
Oh yeah, they don't have jobs like that here in the UK.
They do. But you don't do them. Yet.
You will be the immigrant soon.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 10:30 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

They do. But you don't do them. Yet.
You will be the immigrant soon.
I have only ever really worked in call centres. Nothing wrong with them if you ask me. I am quite delighted at the number of job opportunities there will be for someone with call centre experience in Oz!

Mel
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by mika24me
I have only ever really worked in call centres. Nothing wrong with them if you ask me. I am quite delighted at the number of job opportunities there will be for someone with call centre experience in Oz!

Mel
Your career is too vulnerable. Find another.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 10:36 am
Hussy

Your career is too vulnerable. Find another.
I have another one planned - motherhood!

Seriously though, call centre work is great if you are needing work experience in an office. It suits me down to the ground as I am not planning a career until after I have kids (planning on retraining).

And it's not so unstable as you would think. High staff turnover dictates that there will always be some jobs available.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 10:37 am
Just Joined

jtipping is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Dotty. This has been helpful. More of this sort of posting would be brill.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by mika24me
I have another one planned - motherhood!

Seriously though, call centre work is great if you are needing work experience in an office. It suits me down to the ground as I am not planning a career until after I have kids (planning on retraining).

And it's not so unstable as you would think. High staff turnover dictates that there will always be some jobs available.
In 10 years or so, all such work will have moved to countries with more easy to exploit workers. Hence, unemployment for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.