British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   jobs for hubby in Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/jobs-hubby-oz-503226/)

suzanne7575 Jan 3rd 2008 12:13 pm

jobs for hubby in Oz

It will be me getting us over to Oz as I'm a nurse, but was wondering wether hubby will be able to find a job.

He has a degree in environmental resource management (a bit of environmental, geography, business studies, economics and management) and has been working in retail for most of his life, firstly in sales and now in regional management. He works for a pc retailer as a regional manager for buisness development, but he really isn't fussed about staying in that career and would probably do anything just to up our income, is he likely to find work ok without being skilled in a trade as such.

Thanks

verystormy Jan 3rd 2008 12:34 pm

Re: jobs for hubby in Oz

Originally Posted by suzanne7575 (Post 5733817)
It will be me getting us over to Oz as I'm a nurse, but was wondering wether hubby will be able to find a job.

He has a degree in environmental resource management (a bit of environmental, geography, business studies, economics and management) and has been working in retail for most of his life, firstly in sales and now in regional management. He works for a pc retailer as a regional manager for buisness development, but he really isn't fussed about staying in that career and would probably do anything just to up our income, is he likely to find work ok without being skilled in a trade as such.

Thanks

There is currently a boom in the mining industry in Aus and, depending on how long ago he did his degree and wether he would be willing to go in at the bottom, then he could probably obtain work in the mining industry. The saleries are high, (new graduates are earning $70k plus, though it usually means working away from home for short periods. The upside being lots of time off. I am a geologist going over to work for a mining company and will get 22 weeks a year off. A good starting point is www.seek.com.au and www.infomine.com

suzanne7575 Jan 3rd 2008 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 5733882)
There is currently a boom in the mining industry in Aus and, depending on how long ago he did his degree and wether he would be willing to go in at the bottom, then he could probably obtain work in the mining industry. The saleries are high, (new graduates are earning $70k plus, though it usually means working away from home for short periods. The upside being lots of time off. I am a geologist going over to work for a mining company and will get 22 weeks a year off. A good starting point is www.seek.com.au and www.infomine.com

actually he did quite a lot of geology work in his degree and is something he is very interested in, but he did his degree 10 yrs ago now and hasn't had any work experience in that field.

verystormy Jan 3rd 2008 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by suzanne7575 (Post 5733918)
actually he did quite a lot of geology work in his degree and is something he is very interested in, but he did his degree 10 yrs ago now and hasn't had any work experience in that field.

Given the current shortages of staff in the mining industry it is still probably worth a shot. A lot of the advertisers on seek are recruitment companies who will be able to offer advice. There are reports at the moment of companies offering students in the 2nd year graduate posts to quit uni

woolmer Jan 3rd 2008 5:25 pm

hi i work in a large department store in london for the past 27 years , and would be looking for a similar job ib brisbane.
what prospects are there for me at manager level. and what sort of wages would i be looking to get.
thankyou

david