Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobs Fly in Fly out

Jobs Fly in Fly out

Old Feb 17th 2003, 7:29 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jobs Fly in Fly out

A few have mentioned fly in fly out jobs in Australia heres a couple of local opinions , rather you good people than me good luck.

New research has shown fly-in, fly-out practices are causing higher levels of stress for the families of the employees.

A study by Edith Cowan University has found communication and household roles are significantly disrupted among families who endure long periods without a husband or father

Hi
This is incredibly hard for me to write but I do feel that this may be my chance to at least make other families contemplating moving away from the country to the city a bit of an idea of what things can be like for some people once they change over to fly-in fly-out.

A brief background of our situation. My husband and I made the choice to go fly-in fly-out after living in the Pilbara. Our thoughts where that our son who was just starting year 9 would get a better education in Perth, and we really did not want to split the family by sending him to a boarding school. At the time (14 months ago) I had just started a uni. course via distance education and had thought that his being away would not be a problem because I had so much work to do on the course. Anyway, to cut a long story short what seemed like a good idea has turned into an absolute nightmare. If you have family and friends to support you then you stand a chance but in my case I have tried to make friends but it hasnt been easy and now I often go for two weeks without seeing another person. If my son was younger I could go to the school and maybe make some friends there but teenagers dont want their mums hanging around and as a 44 year old I am too young (ha ha) to join an over 55 group doing something. I have tried to work but found that even more stressful as I get even less chance to see my husband when he comes down.
I really hate the idea of taking medication but things had sunk so deeply that I had no other choice. Depression has become my worst enemy and I quite often dont know how I face another day. One psycologist told us that my husband should "give up work", but it isnt that easy because there is no work for him here in Perth. I dont want my husband to be unemployed and I dont know how we would survive for 12 months without any income if he did resign. (I plucked up the courage to ask the Social Security people about unemployment and they told me that if he quits then he has to wait 12 months before becoming eligible). I feel absolutely trapped and wish that there had been some sort of councilling about this type of employment before it was offered to us. I know that I am not alone in this type of a situation, a workmate of my husbands wife has tried suicide twice since they made the shift. So I live from day to day in the hope that we may get a transfer back to a place where we can all be together.

Thanks for the chance to have my gripe, who knows maybe someone from the BIG COMPANIES involved will read this and help us wives get some sort of a support group going.