Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobs and cost of living Q

Jobs and cost of living Q

Old May 28th 2007, 8:13 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold
Default Jobs and cost of living Q

Hello we are in the process of applying for 136 visa on my occupation as a nurse. I know there are lots of jobs for me and its not this i am worried about. My husband however doesnt have a job on the skills list. He is a sales executive n the textile industry and has a great wage here and lots of extras such as company car all as a wage not commission based.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to get a job like this in oz, particulary adelaide or SA?? He is not bothered what he does and has even looked into being a postman. If his income dropped significantly more then i will be looking to work full time again. But the ideal would be part-time for me.

Anyone know of any agencies? Are sales skills transferrable within this field, i dont know i havent asked him lol!!

Could i be nosy and ask what people feel their income would or is to have a good life in Oz?? Just so we can get a rough idea?? For example if our combined income was 50,000 Aus $ would this be enough to live comfortably??

Many thanks. I have had so much advice on here it is fab!! I hope i can return the favour once in oz!!
Old May 28th 2007, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Jobs and cost of living Q

hello ozzieclare2be. i keep wondering the same and did a search in the forum and there are many views. i suppose its how you like 2 live is if its enough money. if you want to eat out every night and run a hummer(off csi miami) then would need more money than eat out once a month and run a corsa. im a hairdresser so rubbish wage wherever i decide 2 go.at least i cant have high expectations haha.ps.where are you from in radcliffe?we live there.
k x
Old May 28th 2007, 9:16 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

hi not far from asda small world ey. I am in the same mindset. We dont go out alot ( lack of baby sitters! at least not together lol)and are hoping to make new friends and have lots of barbies lol. Not bothered what i drive as long as it gets me from A_B. We are fairly comfortable at the moment in the respect that all bills are paid and i only work 20hrs a week. So no need for childcare.Plus we have a bit over to save and manage a god holiday once a year

Obviously this may change when we get to Oz. We have one child who is 1. Do you work in Radcliffe?? x c
Old May 28th 2007, 9:19 pm
looking for my marbles

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
hi not far from asda small world ey. I am in the same mindset. We dont go out alot ( lack of baby sitters! at least not together lol)and are hoping to make new friends and have lots of barbies lol. Not bothered what i drive as long as it gets me from A_B. We are fairly comfortable at the moment in the respect that all bills are paid and i only work 20hrs a week. So no need for childcare.Plus we have a bit over to save and manage a god holiday once a year

Obviously this may change when we get to Oz. We have one child who is 1. Do you work in Radcliffe?? x c
ps how did u know i was from radders??
Old May 28th 2007, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future

ps how did u know i was from radders??
from other posts ive seen just a bit shy to ask before.i live just up outwood.very small world.im self employed(mobile) now but covering some maternity at my old bosses salon at the bottom of higher ainsworth road till august too.all adds to my hours for the tra.lol
know what you mean about going out especially with the other half - sitters-!where are you hoping 2 go to over in oz?
r u going to the meet in bolton?
k x
Old May 28th 2007, 9:37 pm
looking for my marbles

Hi yes we are going to the meet. But wont get ther until about 2ish as i am on a night shift night before. I live outwood area too but near bottom if you know wehere i mean . Hope you are going to the meet would be great to meet up. We are hoping to go to Adelaide. where are you off to?? x clare (ps whats your name so i can look out for u at the meet?)
Old May 28th 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Radcliffe too (officialy, but actually Stoneclough). Do you think it is somewhere about the area driving people away? LOL
Old May 28th 2007, 9:59 pm
looking for my marbles

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I live in Radcliffe too (officialy, but actually Stoneclough). Do you think it is somewhere about the area driving people away? LOL
wow small world, maybe lol Are you coming to the meet next sat??
Old May 28th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi yes we are going to the meet. But wont get ther until about 2ish as i am on a night shift night before. I live outwood area too but near bottom if you know wehere i mean . Hope you are going to the meet would be great to meet up. We are hoping to go to Adelaide. where are you off to?? x clare (ps whats your name so i can look out for u at the meet?)
origionally perth but with the posts on here with prices rising i have thought to go adelaide now.very small world. hubby would probably prefer the outback but a little tooo remote 4 me(he wants his land for quad bikes???!!! boys and their toys not that we could afford them). haha.
Old May 28th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

wow small world, maybe lol Are you coming to the meet next sat??
No, unfortunetly I have to work.
Old May 28th 2007, 10:04 pm
looking for my marbles

Originally Posted by kjc79
origionally perth but with the posts on here with prices rising i have thought to go adelaide now.very small world. hubby would probably prefer the outback but a little tooo remote 4 me(he wants his land for quad bikes???!!! boys and their toys not that we could afford them). haha.
come to Adelaide!! lol x look it cant be any dire than Radcliffe now can it!! Perth is out of the way lol Adelaide is better
Old May 28th 2007, 10:05 pm
looking for my marbles

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
No, unfortunetly I have to work.
Thats pooh! i am working the night before but will drag myself out of bed about 12 ish to get there. I cant wait to talk about oz to everyone!!
Old May 28th 2007, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few sales jobs about in SA, most are base salary with comissions. Some have company cars, mobile phone etc, some don't.

As far as I know, if you can sell you don't need any other qualifications or anything. There isn't all that much about for textiles though, so he may have to sell something else.
Old May 28th 2007, 10:29 pm
looking for my marbles

Originally Posted by Wendy
There are quite a few sales jobs about in SA, most are base salary with comissions. Some have company cars, mobile phone etc, some don't.

As far as I know, if you can sell you don't need any other qualifications or anything. There isn't all that much about for textiles though, so he may have to sell something else.

Thanks Wendy as usual you are a star. thats bascially what i thought too. Hoping he will find a decent job. Guess hes a bit worried as hes never had an interview and been in his current job for 20yrs at same company!!

Can i ask what you think is a resonable amount to be able to live on over there?? for 2 adults and one child wanting to buy a nice home for around 350k with 100k deposit Aus D?? Thanks again wendy x
Old May 28th 2007, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

come to Adelaide!! lol x look it cant be any dire than Radcliffe now can it!! Perth is out of the way lol Adelaide is better
i think thats where we will head for.40 degrees most of the year is a bit too hot to work in.(but better than snow)haha c u saturday then.
kath x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.