Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IT Jobs and Certifications

IT Jobs and Certifications

Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:30 am
alien

silentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to all
Default IT Jobs and Certifications

Hi

I am planning to goto Sydney in April. I am a Software Developer working in Java/J2EE for over 3 years. I was wondering how much would it help my cause of Job hunting if I acquire Sun Certifications? I have already attended SCJP exam and now studying for SCWCD. My question is, does it help and if yes, how much?

It would be great if those who are already there can share their experiences with us.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:18 am
Just Joined

gatecrasher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Jobs and Certifications

Hi you didn't mention whether you have a BSc or similar.

If you don't, then definitely get the certification... if not then its more of a "nice to have" but I would still recommend going for it if its not a hassle.

I don't know about the Java scene (I use .Net instead) but the certification will only make a real difference if they were stuck choosing between two similar people. Degree + work experience + personality will have a greater change of leading to success!

Now, I really should find myself some time to do the MS certification
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:23 am
alien

silentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gatecrasher
Hi you didn't mention whether you have a BSc or similar.

If you don't, then definitely get the certification... if not then its more of a "nice to have" but I would still recommend going for it if its not a hassle.

I don't know about the Java scene (I use .Net instead) but the certification will only make a real difference if they were stuck choosing between two similar people. Degree + work experience + personality will have a greater change of leading to success!

Now, I really should find myself some time to do the MS certification

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I forgot to mention, yes I have a 3yrs degree in Computing and Information System (CIS). Best of luck with your MS certifications.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silentwalker
Hi

I am planning to goto Sydney in April. I am a Software Developer working in Java/J2EE for over 3 years. I was wondering how much would it help my cause of Job hunting if I acquire Sun Certifications? I have already attended SCJP exam and now studying for SCWCD. My question is, does it help and if yes, how much?

It would be great if those who are already there can share their experiences with us.

Thanks in advance.
It certainly won't do any harm put it that way - whether it makes a difference is a moot point; as a previous poster said degree + experience is the starting point. If you can back up the certs with sound knowledge then it would be good.